Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH and Hetzner get shout-out at AMD Epyc reveal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH and Hetzner get shout-out at AMD Epyc reveal

Note the slide at 05:12PM EDT:

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/14724/796A5D3D-56F7-4C94-8449-190DCD696162.jpeg

Looks like we've got some new servers in the pipeline, and I'm sure they will be EPYC! :)

@Hetzner_OL and @ninzo59 Congrats on the new gear. We are all waiting breathlessly to see what show up :).

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Well, for OVH, it's probably almost exclusively hardware for their public/private cloud platforms.

• Maybe same for Hetzner, who knows. I'd sure like to see Hetzner cloud vm's with Epyc cpu's anyway. Also, looking closely at the slide, it doesn't say specifically that Hetzner and OVH will be using the 2nd generation Epyc, i.e. maybe it only means 1st gen. Hetzner's AX line already uses 1st gen Epyc. I don't know about OVH. But I have to think some 2nd generation Epyc gear must be in the works at both places. The 2nd generation Epyc is way ahead of Xeon at just about every level.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Now my adv-2 servers @ OVH starts to look weak - need 2nd gen :+1:

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited August 2019

RIP Intel

• @jordynegen11 said:

RIP Intel

Lovely

• @jordynegen11 said:
    RIP Intel

I don't know, Intel still has the premium name and marketing. AMD always 'feels' kinda low budget. I'm not saying it is these CPUs are obv. game changing but I don't expect a major shift on the server market just yet.

• @marvel said:
    premium marketing

• jordynegen11 said: RIP Intel

F

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@marvel said:

@jordynegen11 said:
    RIP Intel

I don't know, Intel still has the premium name and marketing. AMD always 'feels' kinda low budget. I'm not saying it is these CPUs are obv. game changing but I don't expect a major shift on the server market just yet.

I think that that 'feeling' is mostly relevant to consumers, not so much to the purchasing department of giant hosting companies, who have a business to run rather than playing favourites :)

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • AMD is currently selling around 70% of all desktop CPU's at some outlets. Ice Lake (Intel's 10nm cpu for next year) may be competitive with Epyc but for the next few quarters Intel is probably getting creamed. Epyc itself was designed as an Ice Lake competitor but they were able to ship it well before Ice Lake was ready, so they are king of the hill at least til Ice Lake ships.

Another way to look at this is that Intel has definitively lost its process lead to TSMC. No idea if they will get it back. Their 10nm process (about equivalent to TSMC's 7nm that Epyc uses) incurred many delays but is finally shipping product. But Intel's 7nm (still in development) was supposedly doing better since it bypassed some of 10nm's obstacles.

• I need epyc 7542 in my l.... lab.

• @willie said:
    Ice Lake (Intel's 10nm cpu for next year) may be competitive

May be competitive, next year (actually next year for the laptop market, not desktop/server market)...
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-1065G7-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U/3466vs3421
    Mobile intel 10nm CPU is 17% faster than Amd Zen+ (12nm).
    When we compare intel 10nm to AMD 7nm we may see (and we probably will see) similar performance.

Anyway if you take a look at rumors of 10nm Intel - they are saying about 2021/2022 year for desktop/server market.
    So intel may have a response for AMD epyc rome in 2011/2022 and AMD in 2022 may CPUs in 5nm process.
    In short - intel is fu**** in the ass harder than ever. They dont have response to AMD CPUs and they wont have anytime soon.

The king is dead, long live the king!

Thanked by 1Zurg