Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Bitmitigate banned from Voxility
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Bitmitigate banned from Voxility

TerensMTerensM Member
edited August 2019 in General

Just found this

Apparently it seems that all bitmitigate protected sites are offline, including their own.

«13

Comments

  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

    the backstory for this latest wrinkle: 8chan booted from cloudflare and subsequently picked up by @BitMitigate

    (from the other thread):

    Here's a "source" (of sorts) for the scuttlebutt re @BitMitigate and Voxility - also mentions Epik

    https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20754943/8chan-epik-offline-voxility-service-cutoff-hate-speech-ban

    caveat: "statements of fact" can get blurred all too easily in a fast-moving situation

    but collateral damage from the 8chan fallout at the moment seems to include Teh Daily Stormer (an erstwhile purveyor of rarefied Holocaust denial tidbits and other white-wing delicacies of dubious provenance)

    Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Very nice.

    Thanked by 2uptime Daniel15
  • I don't really agree with this regardless of the contents of the sites.

  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

    @SirFoxy said:
    I don't really agree with this regardless of the contents of the sites.

    It's freedom of speech, not right to be heard and not freedom of consequences. While obviously care should be taken around this sort of thing, at the end of the day if voxility don't want to 8chan on their platform, that's up to them.

  • SirFoxy said: I don't really agree with this regardless of the contents of the sites.

    Alrighty then - you have now been banned from Voxility too!

  • I have mixed feelings. 8chan /pol/ is dead which is nice but on the other side i don't want to do business with a company which kicks you off their network without notice because of one of your clients is an asshole.

  • hzrhzr Member

    babuum said: I have mixed feelings. 8chan /pol/ is dead which is nice but on the other side i don't want to do business with a company which kicks you off their network without notice because of one of your clients is an asshole.

    It's bitmitigate, all of their clients are assholes, and the owner is this guy - https://i.imgur.com/pZs1sar.png

  • I'm guessing this was the final straw that broke voxility's back.
    Any other 'interesting' clients of Bitmitzegate that we know of?

  • Wait, did they murder their reseller without stern talk or prior notice?
    I think we have a proper teh drama here.

  • MikePTMikePT Member, Moderator, Patron Provider

    Isn't the Bitmitigate guy here? Or wasn't he?

  • @hzr said:

    babuum said: I have mixed feelings. 8chan /pol/ is dead which is nice but on the other side i don't want to do business with a company which kicks you off their network without notice because of one of your clients is an asshole.

    It's bitmitigate, all of their clients are assholes, and the owner is this guy - https://i.imgur.com/pZs1sar.png

    He sold it.

  • @MikePT said:
    Isn't the Bitmitigate guy here? Or wasn't he?

    ^

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    SirFoxy said: He sold it.

    Nick is still involved last I heard.

    He works/worked for Epik, the domain registrar.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 2uptime hanoi
  • @Francisco bitmitigate didn't use your network until some time ago? Has he volunteered for voxility?

  • @Francisco said:

    SirFoxy said: He sold it.

    Nick is still involved last I heard.

    He works/worked for Epik, the domain registrar.

    Francisco

    His LinkedIn says he isn't anymore, idk.

    https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-lim-96564a91/

  • MikePTMikePT Member, Moderator, Patron Provider

    @SirFoxy said:

    @MikePT said:
    Isn't the Bitmitigate guy here? Or wasn't he?

    ^

    @Francisco said:

    SirFoxy said: He sold it.

    Nick is still involved last I heard.

    He works/worked for Epik, the domain registrar.

    Francisco

    True:

    Epik acquired BitMitigate earlier this year, announcing its founder Nicholas Lim would become Epik’s CTO and stay on as BitMitigate’s president. BitMitigate already had a similar philosophy to Epik, agreeing to host The Daily Stormer after it was dropped by Cloudflare. “People should be given the right to express their ideas,” Lim told ProPublica in 2017.

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • @MikePT said:

    @SirFoxy said:

    @MikePT said:
    Isn't the Bitmitigate guy here? Or wasn't he?

    ^

    @Francisco said:

    SirFoxy said: He sold it.

    Nick is still involved last I heard.

    He works/worked for Epik, the domain registrar.

    Francisco

    True:

    Epik acquired BitMitigate earlier this year, announcing its founder Nicholas Lim would become Epik’s CTO and stay on as BitMitigate’s president. BitMitigate already had a similar philosophy to Epik, agreeing to host The Daily Stormer after it was dropped by Cloudflare. “People should be given the right to express their ideas,” Lim told ProPublica in 2017.

    Interim CTO
    Dates EmployedFeb 2019 – May 2019
    Employment Duration4 mos
    In February of 2019 I sold BitMitigate to Epik. I also operated temporarily as the CTO of Epik for a short period of time to oversee the transition of BitMitigate.

    Thanked by 2MikePT uptime
  • MikePTMikePT Member, Moderator, Patron Provider

    @SirFoxy said:

    @MikePT said:

    @SirFoxy said:

    @MikePT said:
    Isn't the Bitmitigate guy here? Or wasn't he?

    ^

    @Francisco said:

    SirFoxy said: He sold it.

    Nick is still involved last I heard.

    He works/worked for Epik, the domain registrar.

    Francisco

    True:

    Epik acquired BitMitigate earlier this year, announcing its founder Nicholas Lim would become Epik’s CTO and stay on as BitMitigate’s president. BitMitigate already had a similar philosophy to Epik, agreeing to host The Daily Stormer after it was dropped by Cloudflare. “People should be given the right to express their ideas,” Lim told ProPublica in 2017.

    Interim CTO
    Dates EmployedFeb 2019 – May 2019
    Employment Duration4 mos
    In February of 2019 I sold BitMitigate to Epik. I also operated temporarily as the CTO of Epik for a short period of time to oversee the transition of BitMitigate.

    Just read that, yep!

  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

    According to Wikipedia, Epik is now run by someone literally named Robert Monster.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epik_(domain_registrar)#BitMitigate

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Monster

    He seems like a pretty big jerk.

    Thanked by 2uptime FlamesRunner
  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor
    edited August 2019

    Please, Vioxility cannot be taken as seriously, after they posted this:

    At least the PR deparment is retarded deep inside, thats not how it works.
    I did not expect something else from them anyway.

  • @TerensM said:
    @Francisco bitmitigate didn't use your network until some time ago? Has he volunteered for voxility?

    I've also heard that the Daily Stormer used to use BuyVM's DDoS protection... Is that still the case @Francisco?

  • Grabs Popcorn

    WOW, Voxility Nixxed all of BitMitigate.
    Wonder who they'll try next.

  • @Neoon said:
    retarded deep inside

    hmmmm lol

    Okay @Neoon is banned from Voxility too now.

    Next!

    Thanked by 2captainwasabi BlaZe
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

    Wonder if BitMitigate had other significant customers besides Daily Stormer and (more recently) 8chan.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    Daniel15 said: I've also heard that the Daily Stormer used to use BuyVM's DDoS protection... Is that still the case @Francisco?

    They were hosted through BitMitigate which used our filtering at the time.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 2uptime TerensM
  • Daily Stormer apparently (as of earlier today at least) still uses BitMitigate, which means (per someone on reddit) 8chan inadvertently took Daily Stormer down with them. Poetic justice I guess.

    Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @willie said:
    Daily Stormer apparently (as of earlier today at least) still uses BitMitigate, which means (per someone on reddit) 8chan inadvertently took Daily Stormer down with them. Poetic justice I guess.

    it's all too easy to ignore everything else...

  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

    I understand the pressure that gets placed on these companies, and why they do it, but if they cave-in so easily to pressure by the mob it doesn't make them look good. Who wants to do business with a company that will boot you without proper notice? I guess the lesson is, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

    Thanked by 2sin hanoi
  • @ulayer said:
    I understand the pressure that gets placed on these companies, and why they do it, but if they cave-in so easily to pressure by the mob it doesn't make them look good. Who wants to do business with a company that will boot you without proper notice? I guess the lesson is, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

    It's like a legal DDoS; negative PR.

    Thanked by 3sin uptime Ouji
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

    All I see is a message in big fat red letters -> Stay away from large corporations!

This discussion has been closed.