Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Auction Server HDD RAID0 Benchmarks - How to improve?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Auction Server HDD RAID0 Benchmarks - How to improve?

I haven't seen a comparing the disks on a Hetzner auction server so I thought I might do one for reference and discussion. I'm not well versed in server administration so please bear with me.

Test Environment:

• i7 2600 @ 3.4 Ghz
  • 4 x 4 GB DDR3
  • 2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS
  • LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i Controller
  • 1 Gbps Unmetered
  • Falkenstein 1 Datacenter
  • Linux Ubuntu-1604-xenial-64-minimal 4.15.0-52-generic
  • ~25 EUR/mo

I followed this guide for setting up the controller.
For single disk, I used the EachDskRaid0 option. Both setups use a stripe size of 64k. These disks have 68419 power on hours (> 7 Years).

Summary:

Stat Single Disk Hardware RAID 0
ioping sequential read 988.6 MiB/s 1.01 GiB/s
dd sequential write (avg of 3 runs) 132.56 MiB/s 265.44 MiB/s
hdparm cached reads 12435.89 MB/sec 12899.63 MB/sec
hdparm buffered reads 30.56 MB/sec 91.85 MB/sec
fio mixed 4K random read/write iops 553/186 663/223
fio 4K random read iops 1226 950
fio 4K random write iops 11868 2393

Detailed links:

I didn't average over many tests, these are just one-time out of the blue measurements of an empty server. I'm not that impressed with the disk performance to be honest; but I guess I can't expect much from 7 year old disks. I just followed the tutorial above so if someone can point out an error in even considering any of these numbers to be comparable or any error in the setup or anything I could do to improve the RAID 0 performance, that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The single disk sequential read value is impossible. It's a sata-3 disk, max speed around 550mbyte/s.

Your testing might be wrong.

• @teamacc said:
    The single disk sequential read value is impossible. It's a sata-3 disk, max speed around 550mbyte/s.

Your testing might be wrong.

Agreed. I think that particular test is due the caching from the LSI RAID controller.

• I think there is nothing wrong here. it's spinning rust, so about 130 MB/s sequential write speed for a single disk is perfectly fine. in Raid0 this simply doubles - also fine.

in terms of IOps it looks like you are already profiting from the raid controller and it's cache, because normally you would not even see those high numbers on a software raid f.i.

the only thing you can do to get a better performance most likely is adding more disks or switch to SSD after all ;-)

• Seems to be on par with HDD performance. Either add more disks or get an SSD.

• Hoping for better random read performance but I guess I'd have to upgrade to SSDs...

Thanks guys!

• Why not have an SSD added to the server and then use that for cache :P

• Go for SSD upgrade if customer demands. If they don't, keep with HDD as it gets more space to store.