Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From reddit: My company is developing an opensource alternative to WHMCS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

From reddit: My company is developing an opensource alternative to WHMCS

alentoalento Member, Host Rep

I figure that the audience here would be interested in this so ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/cjpjpy/my_company_is_developing_an_opensource/

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

The screenshots look promising. But, I hope it doesn't meet the fate of @WHSuite, another nice software but didn't really go that far.

https://github.com/WHSuite

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Looks great. But how long the project will last and maintained is the real question here.

• Looks good. Hope they could continue this to a mature product.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

No less than 2 years before this actually gets some attention for good.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

company

opensource

So, the obvious question here is: what's the business model?

• @joepie91 said:

company

opensource

Makes me wonder if offering paid support a la Ubuntu would be sustainable especially on the long run. Or a dual-licence release with a gold version similar to the likes of PPSSPP for those who are willing to support the project even further.

@huckleberrypie said:

@joepie91 said:

company

opensource

Makes me wonder if offering paid support a la Ubuntu would be sustainable especially on the long run. Or a dual-licence release with a gold version similar to the likes of PPSSPP for those who are willing to support the project even further.

I mean, there are definitely sustainable business models for this (that are properly open-source, not open-core). But the track record of commercial companies and open-source projects is pretty damn poor, which is why this is the first question that's on my mind. Do they actually have a viable and ethical business model?

• try4lontalktry4lontalk Member
    edited August 2019

@joepie91 said:

company

opensource

They can provide basic functions for free. They can also provide advanced functions/modules for paid versions, with pricing cheaper than WHMCS.

• LeviLevi Member

Where is the magic of WHMCS: a massive, just humongous code base. They have covered all of it:

• Almost proper billing
    • Task Automation
    • Client support
    • Very extensive, yet simple API
    • Pricing is on the edge, but it's manageable

And this done from 2008 I believe (?).

Now, even to align with this monster would require SpaceX caliber management, funds and motivation.

EZPZ.

No, it's not gonna happen. Unfortunately. First titan must fail, fail really hard (like cPanel) and than on top of the grave you can build something new. Yea, sad.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

LTniger said: Now, even to align with this monster would require SpaceX caliber management, funds and motivation.

Is is really on that scale? It's a PHP CRUD app, not something a lone nerd can bang out in a weekend, but seems much less complicated than even cpanel. Compare with the dozens of FOSS databases, compilers, Linux kernel and CLI tools, PHP itself, and everything else that's out there, it seems doable.

• Billing -> everyone has that.
    • Automation -> call some existing api's for libvert and so on.
    • Client support -> what does that even mean? JS front end? (Added: Oh I guess you mean tickets. Fair enough. Another fairly simple feature though.)
    • API -> pile of cookie cutter code if the underlying functionality is there.
    • Pricing -> see recent history of cPanel and tell me if you still want to rely on it.

Blesta is already a reasonable alternative from what I can tell. There must be other stuff out there too.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

LTniger said: Now, even to align with this monster would require SpaceX caliber management

Well...

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I originally thought that SpaceX was a poorly hidden secret bomb testing company some years ago.

When I was finally told that they are in fact a space agency, my head spun and told myself that the end was rainly nigh.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited August 2019

What panel will this sit on top of? Aren't there open source alternatives they can fork/modify/make better?

• I'm still confused how people can be so upset by Oakley's first shots fired using cpanel and not expect the same increases from WHMCS
    Plesk and SolusVM. Yes WHMCS may just be a stake via cpanel but it's still a matter to be concerned over.

Thanked by 1willie

try4lontalk said: They can provide basic functions for free. They can also provide advanced functions/modules for paid versions, with pricing cheaper than WHMCS.

That's open-core, not open-source. Which was part of my original point.

• LeviLevi Member

@willie said:

LTniger said: Now, even to align with this monster would require SpaceX caliber management, funds and motivation.

Is is really on that scale? It's a PHP CRUD app, not something a lone nerd can bang out in a weekend, but seems much less complicated than even cpanel. Compare with the dozens of FOSS databases, compilers, Linux kernel and CLI tools, PHP itself, and everything else that's out there, it seems doable.

• Billing -> everyone has that.
    • Automation -> call some existing api's for libvert and so on.
    • Client support -> what does that even mean? JS front end? (Added: Oh I guess you mean tickets. Fair enough. Another fairly simple feature though.)
    • API -> pile of cookie cutter code if the underlying functionality is there.
    • Pricing -> see recent history of cPanel and tell me if you still want to rely on it.

Blesta is already a reasonable alternative from what I can tell. There must be other stuff out there too.

It soubds easy,but even physically write so much code is time consuming task. Even if you survive code base development, which is very doubtful, there is a whole new layer of complexity waiting for you: marketing.

To gain consumer trust is very hard task, why I should risk with my business by switching to new product?

I may sound very pesimistic, but it's harsh reallity. My optimism like cPanel clientele, just faiding away...

• LTniger said: To gain consumer trust is very hard task, why I should risk with my business by switching to new product?

Because you don't like WHM's inevitable price increase, because you want to customize the code yourself, whatever. I've never seen WHM used outside budget hosting. Everyone else has their own system. It's unclear how WHM many features the mentioned alternative actually implements. I've never done run WHM from the host side, but from the user side I don't remember anything in it that I'd consider hard.

Yes companies develop FOSS applications all the time. I'm using Firefox right now, which probably has 100x as much code in it as WHM. Debian probably has 20x as much as Firefox (it includes Firefox as a component). Hosting panels are a niche area but I wonder how much of WHM could be thrown together from existing Drupal modules or Ruby gems without much development.

Thanked by 2Levi niceboy
  • LeviLevi Member

@willie said:
    I wonder how much of WHM could be thrown together from existing Drupal modules or Ruby gems without much development.

The challenge is up to you :) try it.

• @joepie91 said:

@huckleberrypie said:

@joepie91 said:

company

opensource

I mean, there are definitely sustainable business models for this (that are properly open-source, not open-core). But the track record of commercial companies and open-source projects is pretty damn poor, which is why this is the first question that's on my mind. Do they actually have a viable and ethical business model?

My thoughts exactly.