Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dedi with SAS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dedi with SAS ?

DalCompDalComp Member
edited November 2013 in Requests

What is the lowest price/GB available for SAS? Certainly SSD is better but I doubt I will find them cheaper than SAS.

I am interested on online.net Dedibox, €49.49 (~$67) with 2x 450GB 15k SAS. It's out of stock though, probably will be back next week. I will wait but meanwhile I am open to suggestions.

Hopefully to keep it under or around $100.

Thanks.

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

if you have a server at WII/DS servercomplete I think even VD.. you can send your own SSD.. you can email them to confirm..

the optereon 2216 from datashack is SAS but it's old and probably slow.. $29/mo 146 gb SAS

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • The same online.net package is resold by OneProvider at €45, and RAM is upgraded to 24GB. Sent them a ticket, will see if it's available. It's weekend after all.

@earl said:
    if you have a server at WII/DS servercomplete I think even VD.. you can send your own SSD.. you can email them to confirm..

Current budget doesn't allow purchasing drives. I will probably set a budget for it the next 2-3 months.

the optereon 2216 from datashack is SAS but it's old and probably slow.. $29/mo 146 gb SAS

$34/month for 2x146GB, not bad for a smaller server... But for now I would need >500GB.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Dacentec:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1318409&highlight=sas

Unmanaged HP Proliant 2XL5420 16GB 4x146GB SAS
    Used HP SE1101 2x L5420 Xeon Quad Core 2.5GHz 16GB ECC RAM 4x146GB SAS
    Gigabit Port
    10 TB monthly transfer.
    1 Free IP
    Free Lantronix IP KVM loan on request
    NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
    Hardware replacement including disk is free during the rental period.
    Remote Reboot
    Automated OS Installs
    Bandwidth Graph
    UNMANAGED
    Rent To Own - Pay for 12 months and the server is yours, continue colo or take 
    the server.
    ORDER NOW FOR $50/MONTH

Probably not 15K SAS thought, there was a few more but way out of your budget..

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @earl said:
    Dacentec:
    Probably not 15K SAS thought, there was a few more but way out of your budget..

Out of stock for few days. Yeah, I guess I'll have to stick with online.net/OneProvider for now...

• @DalComp said:
    Out of stock for few days. Yeah, I guess I'll have to stick with online.net/OneProvider for now...

yeah I think it's your best bet.. I'm actually tempted to buy, but not sure I like paying in euro..

Actually for me when I go to the order page, it says I can still buy but server won't be delivered until they receive more stock.

• If you are open to a one-time hard drive fee, we could certainly offer SAS on any of our low-cost dedicated lineup.

• @volumedrive In your sig, you advertise a "X4 Quad,8GB,1TB,1GBPS $29.95". I cant find this anywhere on your billing panel.

• @joelgm This was a special we ran a few weeks ago and has since sold out. Were offering a limited number and they are currently available on our promo orders page.

• @volumedrive said:
    joelgm This was a special we ran a few weeks ago and has since sold out. Were offering a limited number and they are currently available on our promo orders page.

It doesnt seem to be Gbps anymore. That's a pity. I was looking at a provider to replace my similiarly specced Online.net dedi.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

SAS is dated technology. SSDs are faster, price per gig is getting very close to SAS drives, can do concurrent operations without RAID, but they do last shorter.

Edit: well you can do concurrent operations with normal drives ofc, granted they are those multi-processor enterprise drives

• @joelgm said:
    It doesnt seem to be Gbps anymore. That's a pity. I was looking at a provider to replace my similiarly specced Online.net dedi.

We are offering Gbps. Feel free to write us directly for a quote.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@DalComp

Seems there is more stock of the "Server Dedibox LT15K 2013" currently there is 10 left..

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • Intel Core i3 2100
    3.1Ghz
    2 Cores / 4 Threads
    8GB DDR3
    500GB HDD
    20TB Monthly Transfer
    Linux/Windows OS
    5 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    Remote Reboot Access
    $79.95/month
    http://www.sonwebhost.com/bill426/cart.php?gid=4

• @Sonwebhost said:
    Intel Core i3 2100
    3.1Ghz
    2 Cores / 4 Threads
    8GB DDR3
    500GB HDD
    20TB Monthly Transfer
    Linux/Windows OS
    5 usable IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    Remote Reboot Access
    $79.95/month
    http://www.sonwebhost.com/bill426/cart.php?gid=4

Do you even read?

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @mcmyhost said:
    Do you even read?

Why bother reading when you can just spam offers!? Eventually someone is bound to accidentally click the link and buy something!

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • @earl said:
    DalComp

Seems there is more stock of the "Server Dedibox LT15K 2013" currently there is 10 left..

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Thanks. I decided to go the cheaper route with OneProvider. $63.38 for server and 1 extra IP, plus they offer 24GB RAM compared to 16GB from online.net directly.
    Delivery in 2 working days max, should be less as online.net normally deploy their servers quick. I also value their sales responding to tickets on weekend. Will update here. :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • Yeah oneprovider looks decent.. let us know how it goes..

• Just be carefull when ordering from Oneprovider, since they're a reseller. If you don't get your product, quickly submit a dispute and Ticket

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Just be carefull when ordering from Oneprovider, since they're a reseller. If you don't get your product, quickly submit a dispute and Ticket

Thanks for the tips. Quite frankly I wouldn't get convinced if they were not official reseller of online.net. I'm sure online.net would be very selective in choosing and announcing a reseller. But let's see. :)

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Actually online.net has a link directly on their webpage for oneprovider.com "limited offers by oneprovider" so I'm sure they are a authorized reseller for online.net

• @earl said:
    Actually online.net has a link directly on their webpage for oneprovider.com "limited offers by oneprovider" so I'm sure they are a authorized reseller for online.net

Exactly. And speak of the devil, server details came 20 minutes after your comment (and I was asleep). Let's play!

Thanked by 1earl
  • @DalComp said:
    Exactly. And speak of the devil, server details came 20 minutes after your comment (and I was asleep). Let's play!

Just curious, do you get access to the online.net panel? for reboot reload OS etc?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said:

Here are features on OneProvider Panel (a.k.a. OnePanel)

And nice online.net/HP IPMI:

Thanked by 1earl
  • Thanks.. that looks really awesome!!

• No reinstallation option, right?

• @joelgm said:
    No reinstallation option, right?

No. They did say it's free with a ticket though.

• @joelgm said:
    No reinstallation option, right?

iLO has the virtual media feature, so you can re-install any OS on your own..

• @DalComp

So how is the SAS drives compared to SATA? is it worth it?

• @earl said:

Thanks for the heads up!

And unbelievable, I just couldn't resist, I wanted the storage space so I opted for sata...

Product/Service: Dedicated server - Dedicated Server / VPS
    Architecture: 64bit
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.30Ghz + KVM
    RAM: 24GB
    HDD: 2x 2TB HW RAID
    IP: 1
    Bandwidth: 1Gbps
    Root password:
    Operating System: Centos 6, 64 Bit
    First Payment Amount: $59.84 USD
    Recurring Amount: $59.84 USD
    Billing Cycle: Monthly

Total Due Today: $59.84 USD

And sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread...

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said:
    DalComp

So how is the SAS drives compared to SATA? is it worth it?

What kind of test do you want to see?

Regular DD output is looking very good for RAID1.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.30012 s, 203 MB/s

I really want to see how it goes on RAID0. I submitted a ticket as I'm not allowed to do this myself.

@javaj said:

Good luck mate. :)

Thanked by 1earl