Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 - What is it good for? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 - What is it good for?

13»

Comments

• @user54321 said:
    so a wimax radio is now a ISP? thanks for the info, that was new to me....

Sure, move the goal posts. I was responding to your demand everyone implements it, cost and resources be damned. I'm pointing out your very narrow view, which you agree with now that you're limiting this to just ISP's. In case you're not aware, wimax radios would specifically be used by ISP's, it's just another CPE like a cable or DSL modem.

"Sure go ahead with IPv6, everything works, the only problem are idiots that don't support it. If everybody would just implemented it no matter if they needed or not IPv4 would be already dead for 20 years, but there is always somebody who thinks, I don't need it so i don't support it. I do it now the same way and removed IPv4 support for many of my services because and give a fuck about users without IPv6."

• Obligatory link https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

So to take an alternative point of view, consider running a website on IPv6 only and that 30% of your potential customers can access it and the other 70% cannot- as a very rough example.

Going by the current trend, we can expect 100% of people visiting Google to have IPv6 availability in around about a decade and a half.

Still, you can be an IPv6 advocate, don't have an A record on your DNS - build it and they will come!

• Pre-2015:
    Me: I've memorized all my servers's IPv4 addresses. I'm fully covered in case my DNS goes down.

Post-2015:
    Me: I can't remember the DNS servers' first half of the IPv6 address. I've lost access to all servers if the DNS goes down.

• Maybe when IPv4 runs out eberyone will be running on some sort of NAT

• jsg said: IPx

All existing network equipment could work with that and only core (major backbone) equipment would need to be replaced/extended to handle full IPx (all 64 bits).

IPv6 is an Internet Standard which is used by myself and many many others today. If and when "IPx" becomes a reality then I might try it. But at that time IPv6 probably has received more improvements, and I doubt "IPx" will be able to compete.

• ricardo said: Obligatory link https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

So to take an alternative point of view, consider running a website on IPv6 only and that 30% of your potential customers can access it and the other 70% cannot- as a very rough example.

Also see https://www.facebook.com/ipv6/. In some countries, IPv6 use has overtaken IPv4 on Facebook.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Paper standard != actually used by a majority.