Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solution to host my contacts and calendars
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solution to host my contacts and calendars

Hello,

I do look for a solution to host my (and my family's contacts and calendar). We used to use Google but wanted to go away. Currently we are using Nextcloud (we are using it for files anyway) but sometimes it just breaks the contacts or you can't import/export the contacts as the webinterface refuse to upload all the contatcs.

I already took a look at mxroute but they seem to block the caldav/carddav feature. I would prefer a host in europe. I guess cPanel is the only shared hosting panel which offers the requested feature, right? Am I still allowed to request a cPanel hosting (offers are not allowed anymore)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

There is mailbox.org in Germany which has a nice looking system - I've only played around with it a little bit so can't say too much about it other than maybe give it a try and see if you like it. It may cost a bit but I think the entry level is pretty affordable, if that might suit your requirements for basic calendar and contacts functions.

I'm guessing you're not really looking to install some software on a rented VPS ...?

• GaleejGaleej Member

Nextcloud with DavX5 seems working pretty good for me.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

According to this, MXRoute supports it. If it doesn't, BuyShared seems to support it (starting at 8 USD/year), or you can go for NetCup's Groupware, which will be 3 Euro/month.

• twiigltwiigl Member

AC_Fan said: you can go for NetCup's Groupware, which will be 3 Euro/month.

The groupware solution from netcup is nice, sadly you can only use it with domains, which are at netcup hosted, no external domains possible.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@uptime said:
    I'm guessing you're not really looking to install some software on a rented VPS ...?

If you're willing to play with VPSeses you could also try SOGo. Btw, Nextcloud *dav has being working solid for me.

• JunJun Member

I am the third duplicate data point to report that NextCloud serves me just fine.

Thanked by 1captainwasabi
  • MultiMulti Member

I use Nextcloud already. The combination with Davx5 works like a charm but some members of my family really use the webinterface and that seems to be bugged sometimes.

I am not into hosting it myself. Would like to use a ready to go service. Already tried buyshared and seems to fullfill my requirements. Guess I will go with it.

Would you rather go with @AnthonySmith or with @Francisco ? Inceptionhosting is just half the cost ^^

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Multi said: Would you rather go with @AnthonySmith

Thanks for the consideration, feel free to test it out, if its no good for you I will grant you a full refund within 14 days so you can give it a go risk free.

Thanked by 1Multi
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I use fastmail for that and it's nice though expensive. Emacs Org-mode may be too complicated for non-geeks, and I haven't looked into hosting it on a server.

LET providers still sell cpanel hosting. It's just like VPS plans that are over $7/month: there's no problem with selling them, they just can't open offer threads for them here on LET. I personally now prefer to stay away from cpanel but I can understand why some users will feel they have to stay with it.

I've had BuyVM's $5/y (now $8/y) cpanel plan for a while and it's nice. They just recently had to raise the price because of the cpanel increase. I'm looking forward to migrating to DA and not just to save the $3.

Thanked by 2uptime Multi
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

low-end nextcloud pro-tip https://www.spryservers.net/clients/cart.php?gid=15

specifically with regards to ... the "spryCloud Nano" :wink:

Thanked by 1Multi
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Nice! It's a little bit uncertain but that appears to be in Phoenix, AZ.

• uptimeuptime Member

traceroutes are indicating Dallas for cloud.spryservers.net

by the way looks like it's about 43° C (aka 109° in Freedom units) in Phoenix right now.

but "only" 36° C (96° F) in Dallas ...

• williewillie Member

109 degrees Freedom or 43 degrees Communist, same thing ;).

• uptimeuptime Member

KELVIN SELEKTOR 316.15 OK

Thanked by 1Multi