Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Data Privacy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Data Privacy

FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Just watched "The Great Hack" Netflix documentary but I am not surprised because there are so much more that are not revealed. This makes me wonder am I paranoid enough when preventing my data from being misused.

How well do you think you have protected your personal data from being misused? What are the measures that you have put in to prevent your data from being collected such as online activities, payments and such? Do you care about tech giants collecting your data so they can serve better ads and experiences?

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
Data Privacy
  1. Do you have at least one social network account?62 votes
    1. Yes
      83.87%
    2. No
      12.90%
    3. N/A
        3.23%
  2. Do you think data privacy is something to be worried about?62 votes
    1. Yes
      77.42%
    2. No
        9.68%
    3. Maybe
      12.90%
  3. Do you believe that our data is being misused?62 votes
    1. Yes
      88.71%
    2. No
        4.84%
    3. Maybe
        6.45%
  4. Do you think websites are collecting too much information about us?62 votes
    1. Yes
      77.42%
    2. No
        6.45%
    3. Maybe
      16.13%

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Do you have at least one social network account?

An old facebook account. Haven't used it for 5+ years now. I filled it with garbage data. I know I can delete it but chose not to.

Do you think data privacy is something to be worried about?

To be dickly honest, I don't care. Yellow page has enough data about me and it's publicly available. And your car plate number alone reveals a lot about you. All this online privacy is being brainwashed to younger generations for the sake of political agenda.

And I know kids hate this argument but I've got little to hide. Come at me if ya want. I've paid my taxes and so on.
    Additionally, as long as you remain insignificant, no one will bother ya. Just don't do anything overly too stupid. (Like shooting people on streets, hacking into government facilities.)

Do you believe that our data is being misused?

Aye.

Do you think websites are collecting too much information about us?

That solely depends on how naive you are. Don't blindly give them info. Input fake info to those who you don't trust.
    Of course, the obvious exception is Hetzner. Always trust Hetzner. Always trust the Germans.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@deank said:

Personal data is just one of them, what I mean is more about your activities. For example, knowing where you have been to, what you are interested in, who you are connected with. I mean, those are even more valuable than your personal information that is far easier to get.

You will be surprised how easy it is to manipulate someone's decision when knowing all those information, given enough resources and time.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • LOL@Hetzner comment.

Thanked by 2skorous deank
    edited July 2019

@FAT32 said:
    Personal data is just one of them, what I mean is more about your activities. For example, knowing where you have been to, what you are interested in, who you are connected with. I mean, those are even more valuable than your personal information that is far easier to get.

You will be surprised how easy it is to manipulate someone's decision when knowing all those information, given enough resources and time.

If someone's DAT interested in me, so be it. As long as he doesn't get in my way, why should I care? My wife knows where I've been to, and what I've been upto and so on. She could tell that (info) to others. Shall I sue her?

As an individual out of billions, my data alone is insignificant to the eyes of geeks in an office trying to piece together a common trend.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited July 2019

@deank said:
    If someone's DAT interested in me, so be it. As long as he doesn't get in my way, why should I care? My wife knows where I've been to, and what I've been upto and so on. She could tell that (info) to others. Shall I sue her?

As an individual out of billions, my data alone is insignificant to the eyes of geeks in an office trying to piece together a common trend.

Maybe I am just being paranoid but I believe you might not realise that it is already in your way silently (if it is real). That's the power of knowing so much about you, sometimes even better than yourself.

Just want to quote Alan Moore: "There is no coincidence. Only the illusion of coincidence."

Data gatherers will know about me, for sure.

Do they really about me though? They know the general info: my name, address, e-mail, gender, my browsing habit, etc etc.
    Do they really know me though? My dark..., innermost, secrets... Do they?

If they did, 99% of pop would be behind jails.

• deank said: Do they really know me though? My dark..., innermost, secrets... Do they?

At least half a dozen Silicon valley outfits will

Thanked by 1FAT32
    edited July 2019

And that is why I keep citing, "The end is nigh."

Join Nigh sect today to reserve a seat in the Hell. You can't have sex in the Heaven.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2019

Even if you avoid social networks, they've had a history of collecting people's contact numbers, photos you've been in, and a gazillion other datapoints.

I was a little surprised at Trump's reaction to Macron's new tax on large tech companies, it's not just about how they've been 'cleverly' avoiding tax, but also pushing the envelope on privacy considerations and not really having their feet held to the fire about it. He can claim it should be the right of the US to claim taxes, but they should also uphold the law in which the companies are supposed to be operating under.

I think Trump is at least more man than Justin Trudeau.

My word, that wimp.

• JunJun Member

Resistance is futile. Yet, I try to resist. uMatrix, Nextcloud, Gitea, Bookstack, mailcow. Yet, I again accept the ultimate fact that the resistance is futile.

• OujiOuji Member

That's what actually got me here. Trying to self host stuff. I'm know I'm not very close to be as private as I wish to be, but I'm trying my best at all times.

Thanked by 2uptime FAT32
  • Is Reddit a social network?

• captainwasabicaptainwasabi Member
    edited July 2019

@deank said:

My word, that wimp.

Wimp?

• uptimeuptime Member

FAT32 said: Just want to quote Alan Moore: "There is no coincidence. Only the illusion of coincidence."

Also, the delusion of certainty. That's one of my favorites! I think ...

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @deank said:

My word, that wimp.

For sure. Probably 270 lbs vs 170 lbs more man. And 1000% more orange.

• donlidonli Member

Is this poll an attempt to collect data ?

Thanked by 2MichaelCee uptime
  • This in the news yesterday.

Never-Googlers: Web users take the ultimate step to guard their data

Too bad the person in the above link who thought Office 365 afforded more privacy, did not read this report first. The pdf link in the second paragraph is a sobering and unsettling read on how much MS tracks and gathers telemetry in their Office 365 products.

• SpectrSpectr Member

If ONE private company with under $1Billion capital has 5000 data points on every American citizen and can successfully sway elections then one could only imagine how deep the rabbit hole goes.... This is only a snowflake on the tip of the iceberg.

• SpectrSpectr Member

@Spectr said:
    If ONE private company with under $1Billion capital has 5000 data points on every American citizen and can successfully sway elections then one could only imagine how deep the rabbit hole goes.... This is only a snowflake on the tip of the iceberg.

Further to my comment - if one private shit ass company can do that, then what can Google/Facebook do? What can the NSA/CIA/Other alphabet agencies do? One could only imagine....

• SpectrSpectr Member
    edited July 2019

@Spectr said:

@Spectr said:

Further to my comment - if one private shit ass company can do that, then what can Google/Facebook do? What can the NSA/CIA/Other alphabet agencies do? One could only imagine....

Also keep in mind, the release of this documentary will have an agenda behind it, sit down, watch very closly, and think.
    Edit: spelling

@donli said:

FAT32 is trying to upgrade itself to either exFAT or FAT64.

• SpectrSpectr Member

@deank said:

@donli said:

FAT32 is trying to upgrade itself to either exFAT or FAT64.

Sounds like a new intelligence agency

• donlidonli Member

The Great Hack Post Screening Panel Discussion