Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel to Direct Admin Migration Challenges
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel to Direct Admin Migration Challenges

vpsjunglevpsjungle Member
edited July 2019 in General

What are the challenges you have faced during migration from cPanel to Direct Admin.

Comments

• everything works smooth sometimes have database issues/permission issues but it can be fixed easily but after migration managing DA was a little bit hard than before but its okay

Thanked by 1vpsjungle
  • @jokymic said:
    everything works smooth sometimes have database issues/permission issues but it can be fixed easily but after migration managing DA was a little bit hard than before but its okay

What are things you feel missing in DA when compared to cpanel.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Subdomains lacking proper permissions, database prefix changes sometimes as cPanel shortens those. However from MariaDB 10.2 prefix can be up to 32 characters.

Thanked by 1vpsjungle
  • @MikePT said:
    Subdomains lacking proper permissions..

That doesn't sound good, perhaps it's matching it to whether suphp has been used in the past. Just a passing thought, when lacking more detail. Is this a newly created subdomain, a copied over one, or a restored one? Worth a proper bug report?

edited July 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:

@MikePT said:
    Subdomains lacking proper permissions..

That doesn't sound good, perhaps it's matching it to whether suphp has been used in the past. Just a passing thought, when lacking more detail. Is this a newly created subdomain, a copied over one, or a restored one? Worth a proper bug report?

Restored one. It doesnt happen often. DA copies the permissions too but cpanel sometimes sets those incorrectly. Havent been able to debug properly but have fixed this several times. Its not a DA bug though I said to Martynas that the migration script should reapply the proper permissions.

Thanked by 2vpsjungle eva2000

Edit, subdomains issue. If you have mod_ruid2 enabled it wont be an issue. Martynas corrected me.

• I was along the right lines, mod_ruid2 being the modern suphp (allegedly). ;-)

Thanked by 2vpsjungle MikePT
  • @MikePT said:
    Subdomains lacking proper permissions, database prefix changes sometimes as cPanel shortens those. However from MariaDB 10.2 prefix can be up to 32 characters.

exactly

Thanked by 2MikePT vpsjungle
  • edited July 2019

I didn't have any subdomain issues but I do have mod_ruid2 on the server.

On the less technical side, I had a few customers being a little confused at first by the new panel - I wrote a howto/into guide for them before the migration, but I guess a new panel still takes some getting used to. However, within a few days they'd all said that they actually really like the way DirectAdmin is organised/looks and were quite happy.

Thanked by 2vpsjungle MikePT
  • vpsjunglevpsjungle Member
    edited July 2019

@YellowHummingbird said:
    I didn't have any subdomain issues but I do have mod_ruid2 on the server.

On the less technical side, I had a few customers being a little confused at first by the new panel - I wrote a howto/into guide for them before the migration, but I guess a new panel still takes some getting used to. However, within a few days they'd all said that they actually really like the way DirectAdmin is organised/looks and were quite happy.

If possible share the howto to the community, so that it will be helpful for those who are under migration.

• edited July 2019

@vpsjungle said:
    If possible share the howto to the community, so that it will be helpful for those who are under migration.

It's quite short, but I'll aim to translate it into english soon and post here when done :smile:

Thanked by 1vpsjungle