Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is doing A + B ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who is doing A + B ?

2»

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

My wife and myself sometimes have a 2+1 with one of her female friends. Does that count?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:
    My wife and myself sometimes have a 2+1 with one of her female friends. Does that count?

pict or didn't happened.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

sorry didnt get the notification

I was talking about rack and power cost , you still have network cost (we are talking about carrier natural datacenter) which is not affected by A + B power

So to calculate the final cost on the end user you have to add the network cost as well so in the case of the old quote i have the final increase per 1U was approx 25% (that include rack,power and network , ips etc)(this is very rough estimate)

these numbers are from 2013 in Montreal , maybe now the numbers are completely different

our current Datacenter does not offer single feed so I cant compare the price of A + B vs single feed thats why I used our old Datacenter numbers

@uptime said:

Hani said: A+B is maybe 50% to 60% more expensive than single feed

so ... if that increased cost is passed along to the end-user ... then what would otherwise be a $7 service becomes more like $11 with A + B power? (I'm guessing my math may be a bit off somewhere, and is likely to be based on some incorrect and incomplete assumptions.)

Just to share my perspective from a cheapskate customer's point of view - yes, I can appreciate that professional-grade power redundancy and in some cases I may actually be inclined to pay a bit extra for it.

However ... for the bulk of my personal "DIY High Availability" seat-of-the-pants designs I tend to prefer having an entirely separate service (different provider in a different DC, possibly also even a far distant location altogether) ... so if I'm looking at 2 x $7 to do that vs. $11 to bulk up what is still going to be a single point of failure (as far as network or provider fail goes) ... well, in many scenarios I may be more comfortable with a "redundant array of inexpensive servers" rather than paying almost as much just for a single server with A + B power.

But my calculations might be entirely different If I were a provider supporting many clients on a single server.

Still - as a cheapskate customer, I'm happy to scoop up those "how do they do it" ultra-cheap storage deals such as the occasional HostHatch promotion (apparently without A + B power in Psychz LA) - and if it goes down a few times a year, well ... that's probably still going to be working well enough for me (until it doesn't).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2019

FR_Michael said: pict or didn't happened.

Here we are doing the "thumbs up" game together. Quite hot!

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

We're a+b, but in the 6+ facilities we have been in, there has never been a power outage. A true n+1 or n+2 redundant setup should keep you online throughout any power event.

@MrRadic said:
    We're a+b, but in the 6+ facilities we have been in, there has never been a power outage. A true n+1 or n+2 redundant setup should keep you online throughout any power event.

Then you are lucky. Dying Supermicro power supplies usually trigger the fuse.

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

A failed PSU is not a power outage. I'm talking about a facility wide outage. If you're actually running N+X (1...2...) and actually testing, maintaining, testing your gear then you shouldn't be running into these issues. This isn't often the case with these provider-owned facilities (not all of them, but many that I have personally toured).

My favorite was one that claimed they were N+1, but the +1 was an emergency generator sitting on the back of an 18 wheeler plugged into the building on demand within 4 hours of request. So if/when the primary generator doesn't kick in....you're "only" offline for 4 hours.

edited July 2019

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

A failed PSU is not a power outage.

A failed PSU triggering a rack fuse puts down a feed in the associated rack. But yes, on a larger scale I experienced that once. A large datacenter and network provider sold a+b power and terminated all on one single ups.

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

A failed PSU triggering a rack fuse puts down a feed in the associated rack. But yes, on a larger scale I experienced that once. A large datacenter and network provider sold a+b power and terminated all on one single ups.

That shouldn't happen, proper pdus have their own fuses, typically 2 - 3.

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

have seen that several times, guess it was Murphy.

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

@FR_Michael said:

@MrRadic said:

have seen that several times, guess it was Murphy.

I've seen it too, but it just triggers a fuse on the PDU, not the entire A bank.