Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hestia Control Panel (VestaCP Fork) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hestia Control Panel (VestaCP Fork)

Comments

• level6level6 Member

@wa44io4 said:
    Hey Guys,

I just found Hestia Control Panel recently which is a VestaCP fork but I think it's far more stable and secure. I've been using it for last few days and everything has been working great.

Now that everyone is looking for alternative control panels so I thought I would share this finding here.

Note: I'm not related to Hestia anyhow and also I'm not saying that they're great for production / long-term usage based on my little experience.

Thanks.

Can you make this a little m> @yokowasis said:

The fact that it doesn't and wont have support for softaculous makes it not a viable alternative for commercial hosting control panel.
    Also no file manager.

VestaCP is more viable alternative in this case.

Hestia is good for personal project or something like that. But not really a viable alternative for commercial hosting control panel. I mean what are you supposed to answer when your client asked how to install wordpress ? Do you expect them extract and upload wordpress source code manually ? creating database and setting up wordpress ?

Most of our client don't even know where to download wordpress. How do you expect them to install it manually.

I used to do that all the time in the old days lol. I prefer the new days!

• williewillie Member

Adding a wordpress installer would not be difficult, if it's just about wordpress. Adding 500 installers for 500 different programs would be unfeasible (that's basically want softaculous is). Accreting a few dozen user contributed installers over a year or two period might be doable and would probably cover most of the popular programs.

• @Falzo have they moved the PHPMYADMIN off the root of every domain hosted? i.e. http://hosteddomain.com/phpmyadmin/

• @willie said:
    Adding a wordpress installer would not be difficult, if it's just about wordpress. Adding 500 installers for 500 different programs would be unfeasible (that's basically want softaculous is). Accreting a few dozen user contributed installers over a year or two period might be doable and would probably cover most of the popular programs.

Nobody expect an auto installer of 500 of different software. You can make at least WordPress. Since it's the most wide used cms as of right now. To be fair I only use softaculous to install WordPress. The devs should be able to make at least that, and file manager. The others can be made by the community. The devs need to lay the ground work and standardized how auto installer work.

• williewillie Member

yokowasis said: Nobody expect an auto installer of 500 of different software.

That's what scriptaculous is (500+). I think the top 20 would satisfy most users. I don't know that the auto installer has to be under the Vesta/Hestia banner, just that it should be FOSS so that Vesta/Hestia can use it.

• @willie said:

yokowasis said: Nobody expect an auto installer of 500 of different software.

That's what scriptaculous is (500+). I think the top 20 would satisfy most users. I don't know that the auto installer has to be under the Vesta/Hestia banner, just that it should be FOSS so that Vesta/Hestia can use it.

People don't need 500+, people use softaculous because there is no viable alternative as of right now. It's basically just like whmcs / whm / cpanel

• williewillie Member

yokowasis said: People don't need 500+,

So what do they need? Is 20 enough? Post your top 10.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

Can't you use Softaculous still? They do offer a remote installer where you just enter your FTP data iirc. So it doesn't even need to be part of hestia, really. You'd probably need to create the dtbs also manually and enter them in the remote Softaculous install script but since hestia isn't really meant for reselling but for personal use, I see no issue with that.

• williewillie Member

I wouldn't want to give softaculous (or any random 3rd party company) my ftp credentials, and anyway the idea is to have a free solution.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:
    I wouldn't want to give softaculous (or any random 3rd party company) my ftp credentials, and anyway the idea is to have a free solution.

Fair enough. Just mentioned this as some people (not sure if it was you, too) wanted to have Softaculous implemented.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2019

@AlyssaD said:
    @Falzo have they moved the PHPMYADMIN off the root of every domain hosted? i.e. http://hosteddomain.com/phpmyadmin/

phpmyadmin has never been in the docroot of the users (nor has roundcube), thats just an alias and that's still there.
    Or are you concerned because that might lead to more background noise/bruteforce attempts by bots guessing that url?

@yokowasis @willie I like he idea of adding a few most liked tools step by step via own functionality, maybe wordpress could be a pilot 🙄

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • is hestia can run in centOS?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@abangnoob said:
    is hestia can run in centOS?

Real men use Debian, thx.

• @abangnoob said:
    is hestia can run in centOS?

HESTIA is all about simplicity, you can easily manage the basic things of hosting, dns and email. HESTIA installs everything that is required through their installer, so for me it doesn't really matter if it doesn't work on CentOS but Debian and Ubuntu.

Personally I'm a CentOS only user too but I'm running HESTIA on Debian 9. Everything is running fine and I was able to do all the customizations I needed.

If you're familiar with almost any of the popular Linux distros then you should be able to handle all of them. All you need is Google :wink:

• @Falzo said:

@AlyssaD said:
    @Falzo have they moved the PHPMYADMIN off the root of every domain hosted? i.e. http://hosteddomain.com/phpmyadmin/

phpmyadmin has never been in the docroot of the users (nor has roundcube), thats just an alias and that's still there.
    Or are you concerned because that might lead to more background noise/bruteforce attempts by bots guessing that url?

@yokowasis @willie I like he idea of adding a few most liked tools step by step via own functionality, maybe wordpress could be a pilot 🙄

That was more the case for VestaCP. It used to be in the root. Anytime you went to a hosted domain you could got to the subdirectory of /phpmyadmin/ and boom there it was.

• FalzoFalzo Member

as said it's still implemented as an alias in vhosts, so all domains will work if you call xyz.com/phpmyadmin - but the files are definitely not inside the users root but in the default location where apt puts them ;-)

afaik vesta also runs it as an alias for quite some time now, never really stumbled across the files in a user dir.

• @willie said:

yokowasis said: People don't need 500+,

Even 5 is enough. CWP, cyber panel, even good old virtualmin has built in WordPress installer.

Nobody forced softaculous on hestia / vesta. People just need some kind of auto installer. Vesta use softaculous because they don't have time to develop built in auto installer.

Also file manager, personal or commercial, file manager is an integral part of a control panel.

• FalzoFalzo Member

yokowasis said: file manager is an integral part of a control panel

the 90s just called and want their file managers back... ;-)

• @Falzo said:
    as said it's still implemented as an alias in vhosts, so all domains will work if you call xyz.com/phpmyadmin - but the files are definitely not inside the users root but in the default location where apt puts them ;-)

afaik vesta also runs it as an alias for quite some time now, never really stumbled across the files in a user dir.

No No, that is exactly what I meant.

It is a bit concerning, and I hope they change that. Less exposure to interface the better.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2019

AlyssaD said: It is a bit concerning, and I hope they change that. Less exposure to interface the better.

how would you want to provide phpmyadmin to your clients instead?

I understand the concerns regarding bots probing for that uri and then trying to bruteforce. not making it available as an alias or subdomain is not adding security though, more likely obscurity ;-)

however, if you don't want to have it available or want to change the naming of the url part, it's easy to change the according vhost config. it might break the link in the panel though.
    afaik there is something planned or in the work to allow a user change on that through the panel, but I don't know the exact details right now...

• williewillie Member

yokowasis said: Even 5 is enough. CWP, cyber panel, even good old virtualmin has built in WordPress installer.

Ok, what are your top 5? Srsly though, I find softaculous very impressive, and it clued me in to the capabilities of cheap shared hosting, which I had previously thought of as geocities without ads. There's a ton of stuff in it.

Regarding stuff like file managers, I'm sure there are good free ones around, maybe in drupal, which also has a ton of stuff. I don't know how feasible it is to run a drupal app from something like Hestia though.

• WordPress
    Kim Kardashian sex tapes
    WordPress
    WHMCS
    WordPress

• @Falzo said:

AlyssaD said: It is a bit concerning, and I hope they change that. Less exposure to interface the better.

how would you want to provide phpmyadmin to your clients instead?

I understand the concerns regarding bots probing for that uri and then trying to bruteforce. not making it available as an alias or subdomain is not adding security though, more likely obscurity ;-)

however, if you don't want to have it available or want to change the naming of the url part, it's easy to change the according vhost config. it might break the link in the panel though.
    afaik there is something planned or in the work to allow a user change on that through the panel, but I don't know the exact details right now...

It would be far better off to go to a url on the 8083 port, or via the hosts dns vhost. In most cases there is no need for the front end site to have phpmyadmin there. It is just "convenient'.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@AlyssaD said:

It would be far better off to go to a url on the 8083 port, or via the hosts dns vhost. In most cases there is no need for the front end site to have phpmyadmin there. It is just "convenient'.

I see. I am afraid that'll be something you just should do yourself then, by changing/removing the vhost config for phmyadmin and be done with it ;-)
    luckily both tools allow these kind of easy customizations for concerned sysadmins...

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited July 2019

@Falzo said:

@AlyssaD said:

I see. I am afraid that'll be something you just should do yourself then, by changing/removing the vhost config for phmyadmin and be done with it ;-)
    luckily both tools allow these kind of easy customizations for concerned sysadmins...

Pretty sure that should be a default.

• @Falzo said:
    .. if you don't want to have it available ..

This. In cPanel, I've never made these aliases (phpmyadmin/webmail etc.) available, preferring users to use a port (admittedly the default ones) and/or via the panel itself. One less attack vector for bots/scanners, which could count against them in modsec.

• ScITScIT Member

Working together with @Falzo and some other members on hestia and just would like to contribute something to this nice discussion :smile:.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    This. In cPanel, I've never made these aliases (phpmyadmin/webmail etc.) available, preferring users to use a port (admittedly the default ones) and/or via the panel itself. One less attack vector for bots/scanners, which could count against them in modsec.

You can change the alias using cli (v-change-sys-pma/webmail newalias) or using the backend under server settings, database or webmail. This points are also visible in our demo which you can find here: https://demo.hestiacp.com:8083/edit/server/

@SirFoxy said:
    WordPress
    Kim Kardashian sex tapes
    WordPress
    WHMCS
    WordPress

+1 for the sex tapes :blush:

@yokowasis said:

@willie said:

Even 5 is enough. CWP, cyber panel, even good old virtualmin has built in WordPress installer.

I would also like to know the top 10 or 5, whatever it is. If you would like to have a autoinstaller for wordpress, please just fill out a issue report on our github project. We will then discuss this together and check if we can add such a function.

Also filemanager should be in plan for the next release (1.1.0), until now we've integrated a theme manager and reworked the multiphp environment, so that you can easily manage them from the backend. You can checkout the current changes in our changelog: https://github.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Thanked by 3Falzo ITLabs Ympker
  • @willie said:

yokowasis said: Even 5 is enough. CWP, cyber panel, even good old virtualmin has built in WordPress installer.

Ok, what are your top 5? Srsly though, I find softaculous very impressive, and it clued me in to the capabilities of cheap shared hosting, which I had previously thought of as geocities without ads. There's a ton of stuff in it.

Regarding stuff like file managers, I'm sure there are good free ones around, maybe in drupal, which also has a ton of stuff. I don't know how feasible it is to run a drupal app from something like Hestia though.

WordPress
    Some file manager
    Some cms
    Some forum
    Some something

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    1. Cheesy Bacon Ranch Roasted Potatoes
    2. Zucchini Potato Bake
    3. Mashed Potato Casserole
    4. Potato Chips
    5. Cheddar Mashed Potatoes

Tks