Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server for CPU heavy tasks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server for CPU heavy tasks

Hi,

I am interested in a dedicated server with the purpose of calculating/solving massive trees in Poker. This requires atleast 16GB RAM and preferably decent CPU to speed up the process. I wonder if there is any cheap alternatives out there which meet my requirements?

Requirements:
RAM: 16GB minimum
CPU: quad core 2,66ghz, preferably better
Disk space: w/e
Bandwith: w/e
Budget: $30-50

The program which I intend to use also requires Windows. I have free Windows 2019 Server license from school, so I'd also like to install my own ISO

Comments

• Hetzner

• @dahartigan said:
    Hetzner

Thank you. Was actually looking at their server auction and found interesting ones, but couldn't find whether you could install custom ISO for free. I assume you can?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited July 2019

On Hetzner dedis you can pick Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition for 23,10€ one-time Edit: recurring (ex. VAT).

You can also setup your own OS with own license via their KVM Console. The KVM Console you can order via their panel and is free for 3 hours. For each additional 3 hours you have to pay 8,40€ (ex. VAT).

We take part in the Microsoft SPLA Program. The Windows License made available to us is thus an SPLA License. The combining of clients´ own Microsoft licenses with the Hetzner SPLA License would have to be put in writing (contract), as the client would have to commission Hetzner to host the product. Furthermore, the deployment of an own Microsoft license would not be possible in every case (e.g. for terminal server licenses). Therefore, in view of the increased administrative time and effort that would be involved, we have chosen not to permit the combining of licenses. Hence, the use of own Microsoft licenses on a Windows operating system leased from us is not possible.
    However, a client is able to install their own Windows version, using their own license. It is possible to install Windows via a KVM Console.

Source

• @pike said:
    On Hetzner dedis you can pick Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition for 23,10€ one-time (ex. VAT).

You can also setup your own OS with own license via their KVM Console. The KVM Console you can order via their panel and is free for 3 hours. For each additional 3 hours you have to pay 8,40€ (ex. VAT).

We take part in the Microsoft SPLA Program. The Windows License made available to us is thus an SPLA License. The combining of clients´ own Microsoft licenses with the Hetzner SPLA License would have to be put in writing (contract), as the client would have to commission Hetzner to host the product. Furthermore, the deployment of an own Microsoft license would not be possible in every case (e.g. for terminal server licenses). Therefore, in view of the increased administrative time and effort that would be involved, we have chosen not to permit the combining of licenses. Hence, the use of own Microsoft licenses on a Windows operating system leased from us is not possible.
    However, a client is able to install their own Windows version, using their own license. It is possible to install Windows via a KVM Console.

Source

Ah, I thought it was a €23.10 monthly fee. One-time seems like a bargain, might aswell rather buy it. Thank you!

• NiFlexNiFlex Member
    edited July 2019

@erika123 said:

@pike said:
    On Hetzner dedis you can pick Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition for 23,10€ one-time (ex. VAT).

Source

Ah, I thought it was a €23.10 monthly fee. One-time seems like a bargain, might aswell rather buy it. Thank you!

That is the monthly fee, not a one time fee.

Copy paste from my robot panel :

Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition

(Price (monthly): € 143.30 / Setup (once): € 0.00)
    Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition
    (Price (monthly): € 23.10 / Setup (once): € 0.00)

• Quick update: I ended up buying SB35 from Hetzner with i7-980x, 24GB RAM and costs €38 per month. Took me just 3 hours from buying it to having fully installed Windows Server (my own license) and solving my trees! As "pike" mentioned I used the 3 hours free KVM, where the support already mounted my desired OS and I just had to finish the installation.

Super happy!

• Kimsufi & soyoustart are good options

• @LayerVPS said:
    Kimsufi & soyoustart are good options

Oh hi.

• @teamacc said:

@LayerVPS said:

Oh hi.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @LayerVPS said: