Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP Friends vs Netcup Root Servers and SAS HDD Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP Friends vs Netcup Root Servers and SAS HDD Storage

rchurchrchurch Member
edited July 2019 in Providers

Is there some reason providers don't offer high amounts of HDD storage?

I like PHP Friends vServers but need more disk storage which is expensive because they offer only SSD and NVMe.

Netcup offer more SAS storage for those who need more space than the paltry SSD offered but the extra they charge for CPU passthrough and their odd billing philosophies make it inconvenient. On my inquiry on CPU passthrough they said it was 2 euro per core and had to be billed yearly in advance.

Back to my question. Is there some underlying reason providers offer so little HDD storage if they are much cheaper than SSDs, or is highend SAS storage not so cheap compared with SSDs?

Are they more costly in terms of energy usage or IO?

Do customers use far less storage than expected in a way that makes HDD with its combo of lower speed and higher energy redundant?

BuyVM and Letbox offer their slabs but they are on the other side of pond and I don't know if they compare in performance to Netcup's SAS and SATA disks.

Comments

• @rchurch said:
    Is there some reason providers don't offer high amounts of HDD storage?

They do, plenty of HDD offers in here.

Netcup said [nested virtualization] was 2 euro per core and had to be billed yearly in advance.

Never change, netcup.

Back to my question. Is there some underlying reason providers offer so little HDD storage if they are much cheaper than SSDs, or is highend SAS storage not so cheap compared with SSDs?

Assuming that you are still referring to high end VPS and root servers as you mention PHP Friends and nested virtualization at netcup. Would you use cheap tires and 12” rims on a Ferrari? This is why these providers do not offer a HDD solution. Many people would not buy.

You are also on the edge between needing one such root server / VPS or getting a cheap Hetzner HDD auction server and ask to add SSD on it.

I have seen however one VPS provider which offers hybrid VPSs with both SSD/NVMe and some HDD storage. It’s @HostDoc. You can stack multiple offers and ask for nested virtualization. They seem very open to custom plans.

Maybe people here have other providers in mind.

Thanked by 2rchurch HostDoc
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@rchurch said:
    Netcup offer more SAS storage for those who need more space than the paltry SSD offered but the extra they charge for CPU passthrough and their odd billing philosophies make it convenient.

You must mean INconvenient. :smile:

By the way, netcup's Root-Servers do have CPU passthrough, but they don't allow nested virtualization.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • You must mean INconvenient.

I saw that, and I thought I had fixed it

angstrom said: By the way, netcup's Root-Servers do have CPU passthrough, but they don't allow nested virtualization.

What is the difference between CPU passthrough and nested virtualization. I suppose nested virtualization they don't want customers running KVM on top of their KVMs

How about CPU pass through?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@rchurch said:

You must mean INconvenient.

I saw that, and I thought I had fixed it

I guess that I was looking at the still uncorrected version!

angstrom said: By the way, netcup's Root-Servers do have CPU passthrough, but they don't allow nested virtualization.

What is the difference between CPU passthrough and nested virtualization. I suppose nested virtualization they don't want customers running KVM on top of their KVMs

How about CPU pass through?

Well, it's probably a question of terminology: if "CPU passthrough" means that all of the host's CPU flags are passed through, then if the host supports nested virtualization, then the guest will too.

In practice, it seems to me that "CPU passthrough" seldom means that all of the host's CPU flags are passed through, but rather that a substantial subset of the host's CPU flags are passed through (including, notably, the CPU's identity). In any case, in practice, one is usually interested in certain CPU flags being present in the guest as opposed to necessarily having all of the CPU flags that the host might have.

In sum, in the strict sense, netcup's Root-Servers don't have CPU passthrough, but they nevertheless have "more CPU passthrough" than netcup's vServers have.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • williewillie Member

HDD is so slow that it only makes sense if the number of users per drive is fairly small, which means the amount of space per user is large. Like BuyVM add-on slabs come in 250GB chunks and even that is a bit on the small side, and it works because it's an add-on to an SSD plan, so your frequently used stuff is in your SSD partitition. The slab itself is also heavily cached. An HDD-only 50GB plan might have been cool 5 years ago but would be painful now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Seriously...PHP Friends? What the hell kind of name is that?

Friends don't let friends use PHP.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@raindog308 said:
    Seriously...PHP Friends? What the hell kind of name is that?

Friends don't let friends use PHP.

Better be Pizza friends!