Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i run away? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should i run away?

2»

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

As others said...

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2019

@failhostings said:
    My host suspended my kvm vps over a simple python compile while having 4 cores and 8gb ram.

That seems like an extreme reaction on the part of the provider, given the specs.

If you plan on do a lot of compiling on a VPS, it would be best to get a VPS with a "dedicated core" (or more than one dedicated core). For example, netcup's Root-Servers fall into this category. Otherwise, you need to pay attention to CPU use, which can be a nuisance.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • @ps20090 said:

@raindog308 said:

LTniger said: Did you see 'potassium' module loaded?

Could you explain the joke, I don't get it fully. Is it because potassium are needed as electrolyte for running? But I was thinking since I don't know Linux well it is is a Linux inside joke or something?

If it ever was a joke, it's been beaten to death ages ago.

• sinsin Member

@failhostings said:

@alexvolk said:
    PLEASE NAME THAT PROVIDER SO WE COULD FUCK WITH THIS SHIT COMMENT.

https://www.masterdc.com/virtual-servers-vps/ choose them because nice prices and mainly retn network seems a mistake.

That's funny because I was about to buy a VPS from them, thanks for naming them.

• @sin said:

@failhostings said:

@alexvolk said:

https://www.masterdc.com/virtual-servers-vps/ choose them because nice prices and mainly retn network seems a mistake.

That's funny because I was about to buy a VPS from them, thanks for naming them.

Where do people find these bottom-tier hosts? Ive never even heard of it.. (which is a good thing if they suspend instead of capping the cpu).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @stefeman said:

@sin said:

@failhostings said:

@alexvolk said:

Where do people find these bottom-tier hosts? Ive never even heard of it.. (which is a good thing if they suspend instead of capping the cpu).

Page 36 of a Google Search

Thanked by 2willK Daniel15
  • donlidonli Member

@stefeman said:

The many fake review sites ?

Thanked by 2uptime willK
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

stefeman said: Where do people find these bottom-tier hosts?

they do somehow quite often manage to pop up towards the top of search engine results ... :neutral:

failhostings said: choose them because nice prices and mainly retn network

seems OP made an effort to search out one very specific feature, thus constraining their pool of (other possibly equally shitty) providers to chose from ...

that said - a decent network costs something to maintain, possibly that much more so in certain out-of-the-way places ... so if that's a major portion of the monthly cost for that particular provider, then maybe not much left over for "extras" such as decent hardware / resource allocation / sympathetic service reps / etc etc ...

one way to deal with that reality might be to use the provider just for their network - in order to access a cheaper more powerful cpu deal elsewhere. (Or do the math and see whether or not it makes sense to just pony up whatever more they need to support the required level of cpu usage locally, if that results in best overall performance)

tl;dr: no free lunch ... and - if you teach a man to fish, he might get et by an gator anyway so why bother.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • williewillie Member

Maybe @MikeA can help. Is that a Ryzen over the horizon?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    Maybe @MikeA can help. Is that a Ryzen over the horizon?

8GB RAM is probably out of his budget even with my 42% off promo, since he's paying around $18 USD for 8GB RAM currently. If he just needs cores then probably.

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2019

@stefeman said:

@sin said:

@failhostings said:

@alexvolk said:

They've been around for a very long time, they're a CZ host. I was looking for another unmetered host in CZ like wedos. I like trying out new locations.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

MikeA said: 8GB RAM is probably out of his budget even with my 42% off promo, since he's paying around $18 USD for 8GB RAM currently. If he just needs cores then probably.

Also might note that OP is apparently looking for good connectivity to eastern Europe, so while @MikeA's badass ryzen deal is on a primo network in Dallas it might not be all that well-suited for @failhosting's specific scenario across the pond.

Thanked by 2MikeA failhostings
  • Run away, Run Run Run run away. Do it faster then I stay away from a hostsolutions promo for anything.

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:

cybertech said: U could possibly do more for less with @HostDoc

@HostDoc may or may not be suitable (they do have a "dedicated core" offer in Arizona) - otherwise they may allow up to an hour a day of high CPU utilization. They're easy to communicate with and often offer superior potassium at low prices, occasionally with a few rough edges that hopefully will get smoothed to perfection at some point (from my experience so far sometimes can be more of a work-in-progress situation.)

You might do well to take a close look at Wishosting (@exception0x876) for affordable "unlimited" (still, shared) cpu deals with beaucoup ram. They've been running solid low-end systems for a long time, and handle their business with a minimum of BS as far as I can tell (so would hope that their customers know to do the same. That means you @failhostings.) Don't expect them to hold your hand and change your diaper - and they may take a few days to handle some tickets - but they will take good care of you.

Plenty other options but definitely look before you leap (and ask about and/or check expectations for extended heavy use of shared resources if that's what you need.)

wishostings is certainly one provider to highly consider given their price/specs. would hope to give them a try someday.

my take on hostdoc, is that their KVM vps is mostly superior compute. granted there are still FUPs which is fair for every paying customer, apart from it the available firepower could enable OP's work to be done in less time (maybe). especially since hostdoc does full CPU passthrough and his discerning choice of CPU helps such nature of use cases a fair bit.

when doing tests it was struggling with site rebuilds on typical 2core vps but when i threw production temporarily into doc's latest E-2136 4vCores, speedy NVMe/DDR4 ECC ram stack, everything was done in far less time and then now its just a smashing 0.00 load. its a win-win situation where host gives fair compute power for customer to adhere to fair usage policies.

also worthwhile to note that doc does listen to (negative) feedback, which let to his recent expansion in SG adding new production node(s), and rebuilding the i7 7700K node to such standards rarely seen.

but yes for OP's possibly strained usage i was thinking about hostdoc's dedicated CPU plans since they are stackable.

now it also comes to mind that PHP-friends has dedicated CPU vps for EUR 8,99? Could get the job done as well.

avoro is also good if you manage to land one of their xeon golds. similar setup as php.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dedotatedwam said: Page 36 of a Google Search

I had to look. Google Search only went to 23 pages for me when I searched for "vps" though "vps provider" (without quotes) went to 24.

Some of the stalwarts from the last page of Google:

https://vpsblocks.com.au - "VPS Blocks leads Australia in the latest VPS technology". Looks to me like someone got some iStockPhoto credits they wanted to burn.

https://www.solidhost.com - yeah, with the "connect to mysql server" error. At first impression, they don't seem very solid to me.

https://www.dewaweb.com - They have Moses as a spokesperson I guess?!? Man, their site is completely freaking awesome.

Thanked by 2uptime failhostings
  • donlidonli Member

@raindog308 said:

https://www.dewaweb.com - They have Moses as a spokesperson I guess?!? Man, their site is completely freaking awesome.

It's a cloud angel...

Thanked by 1failhostings
  • @donli said:

@raindog308 said:

It's a cloud angel...

That's even more weird since they are from Jakarta you know Muslims mose lel now they seem offline. Mose got attacked :(

• edfoxedfox Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    You need a cheap dedicated server not a vps.

/thread.

Did you just /thread your own post? You cannot do that

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

edfox said: Did you just /thread your own post? You cannot do that

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @failhostings said:
    My host suspended my kvm vps over a simple python compile while having 4 cores and 8gb ram.

you can go to others

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@Hugo20161216 said:

@failhostings said:

you can go to others

• @failhostings Are you still here? Run Forrest Run!!!!

Thanked by 2uptime failhostings
  • uptimeuptime Member

@failhostings be like ...

• If they suspend without any warning, you may want to find alternative.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • failhostingsfailhostings Member
    edited July 2019

@AuroraZ said:
    @failhostings Are you still here? Run Forrest Run!!!!

yes still looking and running a bit , they unspended my vps but i cant do shit .

Thanked by 1uptime
  • infoinfo Member

I don't understand. if they suspended your vps already, do you've another alternative than running away? or you can still use your account while suspended?

• HxxxHxxx Member

Get a Slice with dedicated core?

• @info said:
    I don't understand. if they suspended your vps already, do you've another alternative than running away? or you can still use your account while suspended?

If they suspend for no reason, that you have done that is, then one would assume they suspended for a reason of their own. When this happens the best bet is to find another provider that is not a douche and move. If you stay and they feel like suspending you again they will, and they might not fix it. Then you lose everything and start over again, and have to find a new provider anyways.

Thus the run away now, after you make damned sure your back ups are good, and screw the douche bag provider.

Thanked by 2info failhostings
  • infoinfo Member

@AuroraZ I wouldn't think any serious business on such provider indeed