Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To front to back or to back to front
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To front to back or to back to front

intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

How are you guys placing your switches in the rack?

Front to the cold aisle in the data centre (front-to-back) or back-to-front air flow?

We've always been placing switches as back-to-front air flow. So network ports at the back of the rack and airflow from the cold aisle back-to-front.

Until we've deployed Edgecore 32 x 40G fiber switches in our new Cluj location. We've been advised by the data center technicians to place the ports at the cold aisle, so front-to-back airflow. Reason being that 40G fiber ports tend to get really hot and it makes them more stable to have the ports in front.

PS: some more pictures from our new location.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Love it... 😁

Why not getting 10Gbps for the nodes tho? Internet link that is.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:
    Love it... 😁

The high local network bandwidth and low latency offered by fiber were chosen for the access to the local storage servers, not for the internet uplink.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@intovps said:

@MikePT said:
    Love it... 😁

The high local network bandwidth and low latency offered by fiber were chosen for the access to the local storage servers, not for the internet uplink.

I know but would be nice to connect those at 10Gbps 😁

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Important is the air flow :

• front-to-back if the cold air come from front and the interfaces are on front

Voxility

M247

• back-to-front if the cold air come from front but the interfaces are on back

Voxility

In your case

• front-to-back for the Dell S6000
    • back-to-front for the Cisco 4948E

Next time when you need help , you can ask me and i help you with pleasure .

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

It really does depend on the switch you're using

• I'd mount the switches in the back, and get the proper airflow in place.

What's really got my attention is the M247 cabinets with the switches/firewalls mounted on the sides of the cabinet, if anyone knows the make/model, please give me a shout.

Thanked by 1joepie91

@techhelper1 said:
    I'd mount the switches in the back, and get the proper airflow in place.

What's really got my attention is the M247 cabinets with the switches/firewalls mounted on the sides of the cabinet, if anyone knows the make/model, please give me a shout.

@techhelper1 said:

Yeah, you get to use the full 46U for servers.
    We have racks there with 3-4 switches mounted on the sides ;).

I'll ask about the rack model and get back to you.

• hyperexperthyperexpert Member, Host Rep

What switches?

Thanked by 1intovps

@hyperexpert said:
    What switches?

Care to tell us what's there? :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, I guess it depends where your ports need to be.

If I have MicroClouds with ports at the front I like to have the switch ports at the front too, simply because I don't need to patch to the behind of the rack.

IF I have a mix I tend to do put the switches at the back or where majority of the ports is.

Thanked by 1intovps
  • dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

@techhelper1 said:

The original:

https://www.conteg.com/free-standing-racks

If you need a big quantity can ask me, i made them in China.

• Tr33nTr33n Member

@dedicatserver_ro You really need a cable management :smiley:

• @intovps said:
    How are you guys placing your switches in the rack?

Front to the cold aisle in the data centre (front-to-back) or back-to-front air flow?

We've always been placing switches as back-to-front air flow. So network ports at the back of the rack and airflow from the cold aisle back-to-front.

Until we've deployed Edgecore 32 x 40G fiber switches in our new Cluj location. We've been advised by the data center technicians to place the ports at the cold aisle, so front-to-back airflow. Reason being that 40G fiber ports tend to get really hot and it makes them more stable to have the ports in front.

PS: some more pictures from our new location.

What's the configuration of the severs ?

Also seems every server has SSD's and VM's will gets created on local SSD's. In such case what is the purpose of having 40G private network and a huge SAN.

edited July 2019

@vpsjungle said:
    What's the configuration of the severs ?

Also seems every server has SSD's and VM's will gets created on local SSD's. In such case what is the purpose of having 40G private network and a huge SAN.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/159105/new-location-nvme-40g-fiber-massive-discount-free-directadmin

Some servers have just some small boot SSDs, but we're standardizing chassis and everything hardware as much as possible, that's why have some empty disk trays as well.

And some more equipment will be added to the rack soon, to complete it. :)