Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMPort - NJ1 Service Outage. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMPort - NJ1 Service Outage.

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2012

@liam

Nope, we are in the process of building our own nodes for a UK KVM deployment, i don't see the point in colocating in USA, prices are already low (Compared to the UK) without accounting for shipping costs and times from the UK to USA if hardware was to blow.

• @VMPort said: shipping costs and times from the UK to USA if hardware was to blow.

http://apaqdigital.com

I don't know how easy or affordable hardware raid is leasing from the DC

• @miTgiB

Thank you for that, it may come in handy in the future. I guess i just like been able to have physical access to my own equipment which we are building up now as per your persuasion in one of our other threads :)

We ended up going for E3-1235s :P

• @VMPort said: We ended up going for E3-1235

Why the 1235? It has on chip video, this is a server, it doesn't need it, otherwise it is a E3-1230, with added costs for features you cannot use. As far as access, IPMI is your friend, and about $5-10 extra on most SuperMicro boards now. I prefer the X9SCA-F personally, many are in love with the X9SCL+-F, the trailing F denotes IPMI included. And yes, I still have access physically to Charlotte, only 20-30 minute drive, but since I do not drive, I have to plan ahead except for in case of an emergency, but I still have all those nodes in Los Angeles, and IPMI has saved me a good bit on remote hands fees. I probably averaged $200-300/qtr in fees in St Louis, Los Angeles I've spent about $100 in the past 6 months for remote hands outside of racking servers.

• Down again? I see vmport said that service will up until 29 Feb. I do not start to take backup yet. Hope it online again

• good thing I already moved all my stuff :|

• Thank DotVPS I just see it!

• Hello @zidit,

Dont worry about your data we will make sure you get a copy of it whatever happen's, unfortunately as explained to customers via email the provider has confirmed they will terminate our server due to the amount of attacks we have received in such a short space of time. We were already planning to cancel them ourselves at the end of the billing period due to the way this situation has been handled.

As explained in the email we are offering two methods of compensation;

A) A full refund of whatever amount you have paid in
    B) We can deploy a VPS from whatever we have available (Xen/OpenVZ, UK/US/DE) at a discounted rate

I would like to further apologize for any inconvenience that will have been caused by this, we are now arranging a date with the company to put the server back on-line for data recovery which will probably be Monday to make sure all client's are available to take action at that time.

Once again my sincere apologies to everybody that has been involved in this. All other services are operating as normal.

Regards,
    Ash

• @kbar

Be sure to claim one of the methods of compensation, its the least we can do for this outrageous string of events.

Regards,
    Ash

• @DotVPS

Funny you should say that.. it seems 3 of our servers are now under attack as well and your a bit too involved for my liking.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • Sorry liam, im just very busy dealing with these issues at the moment..

http://stats.pingdom.com/0hb9pb5bu6h3

• @DotVPS said: Don't blame me i told LET that was a one off.

I thought you had told us you were just testing your own servers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VMPort said: Funny you should say that.. it seems 3 of our servers are now under attack as well and your a bit too involved for my liking.

Was it your Kansas location by chance?

If so, WSI & DataShack both had power outages due to some maintenance in their DC.

Francisco

• So this "attack" is actually a power outage?

• @VMPort - Hey Ash, catch me on PM or Skype, please. I'd like to see if you have any leads or info from the attack... I'm thinking about doing some digging of my own.

• ok @vmport I submitted a ticket.

If it truly is someone ddos'ing you, I want to apologize for what I said earlier. I believed that your services were great but when the VPS suddenly went offline I went into deadpool mode lol :( hope you get to the bottom of this.

• @Aldryic

Will do buddy :)

@kbar

Thank you for your understanding, another email just went out explaining everything in more detail.

If you take a look at our pingdom monitoring you will see that a lot of issues have come up today, all DDoS related http://stats.pingdom.com/0hb9pb5bu6h3

I cant comment on VM2 since we never received the email about maintenance and i just assumed it was related to the other incidents, im awaiting a reply from DS.

Thank you to all our customers for their co-operation and understanding!

• Is the NJ1 thing the one with the DDoS? Your VM3 doesn't even look affected by the outage.

• @Naruto I think it was the router issue and @VMPort was "possibly" under the impression that it was a DDoS of a few Gbit.(WSI / DataShack Would nullroute straight away past 1 / 2 Gbit. They don't have that much available capacity to freely allow attacks like that).

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

NJ isn't with Datashack. I think you're confusing yourself. :P

If I'm not confusing myself, there are two seperate issues.
    - DDoS attacks on most nodes.
    - DataShack downtime.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • Please see above....

@Infinity said: NJ isn't with Datashack. I think you're confusing yourself. :P

If I'm not confusing myself, there are two seperate issues.

• DDoS attacks on most nodes.
    • DataShack downtime.

@DotVPS said: Yup , Look at the pingdom then ping vm2:

Hostname: us.vm2.vmport.com

ISP: DataShack, LC
    Organization: DataShack, LC

• But NJ1 has been down 4 days. @Infinity said it's not in that location.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

Trust me NJ is not in Datashack.

ISP: Atlantic Metro Communications
    Organization: Atlantic Metro Communications

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2012

NJ1 Is in new Jersey, but im sure Naruto already knew that ;)

Like i said, DataShack never informed us of any downtime or scheduled maintenance and have not yet updated our ticket to confirm what the issue was although it does seem the server was shut down at some point;

18:45:46 up 2:43, 0 users, load average: 0.65, 0.70, 0.74

VM4 was also down due to scheduled maintenance, everything is happening at once :(

• On a side note, @kbar can you give me a ticket# so i can make sure your getting looked after. Im sure as you can imagine, we have a ton open at the moment.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited February 2012

I just went to your site. Your name is really Ashley? I just saw it in your footer. I thought it was Ash, like from Pokémon, and people were just calling you that as a nickname. I didn't know females went to LET.

• @Naruto said: I just went to your site. Your name is really Ashley? I just saw it in your footer. I thought it was Ash, like from Pokémon, and people were just calling you that as a nickname. I didn't know females went to LET.

Pretty sure it's a dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Its a pretty common male name in the UK ;)

• @VMPort said: common male name in the UK

I did not know that, you learn something new here everyday :)

• @miTgiB said: I did not know that, you learn something new here everyday :)

If you look deep enough into this thread you learn quite a few new things ;)