Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServGrid, any review?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServGrid, any review?

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with ServeGrid? Looks great, but I can't find any review online, it makes me wonder...

Comments

• Or any other scalable vps provider that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, preferably with ssd drive?

• ChicagoVPS SSD~VPS.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Digital ocean, RamNode, and Fliphost come to mind with SSD servers.

• I'm sorry, I'm looking to scale up to 8GB RAM so RamNode, Fliphost and ChicagoVPS are out. I've read a lot of bad reviews (downtime,closing down accounts...) about DO in the past week.

• I used an account for about a month or two, about 2(maybe 3) years ago now. I would say GoGrid's system was ok, not too complex or pricey - I choose to use Linode for that project instead though, as the machines just felt snappier and the network felt better on Linode. Plus, I didn't really need to take advantage of some of the value-add things they had at the time, which I am sure have increased since. I didn't do any benchmarks, but I am sure they have increased disk io and network speed issues I saw early on.

• kontamkontam Member
    edited November 2013

Thanks all. I went with DO, I'll see how they perform.

• DO doesn't support custom kernels so that's out of the question. Besides, their IO speed is anything but SSD-fast. Next I've found SolarVPS and StylexNetworks to meet the conditions. Scalability, SSD, stable and affordable. Stylex are running mad 50off promo, but SolarVPS is still cheaper (8gb-$160 vs 8gb-$100). I didn't find much reviews, perhaps someone here has direct experience with the two?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

You could give VPSDime a try. Can get up to 12gb of ram and io speed is about 330MB/S

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

We offer SSD too.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

We offer SSD too.

• I've taken VPSDime and Waveride into consideration (and now FtpIt) but I don't want OpenVZ and I need scalable VPS with HA/Failover. I need KVM-based virtualization with custom kernel support so that I can install CloudLinux. I'm looking for a server to run shared hosting, so I need someone reliable.

• Backupsy.com pm @serverian

• But Backupsy is a backup provider.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2013

@kontam said:
    I've taken VPSDime and Waveride into consideration (and now FtpIt) but I don't want OpenVZ and I need scalable VPS with HA/Failover. I need KVM-based virtualization with custom kernel support so that I can install CloudLinux. I'm looking for a server to run shared hosting, so I need someone reliable.

You want HA/Failover / SSD all for something that's not too pricey, budget?

Your best bet would be http://www.dediserve.com (They don't support customer kernels however they do have CloudLinux template) or if you don't really need SSD then take a look at http://iwstack.com

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @kontam said: But Backupsy is a backup provider.

Not just for Backup, PM @Serverian i have good experience with them

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

I dont know what scalability you had in mind If you just need to be able to change the compute offering as you need it (increase/lower ram/cpu cores)+install any OS you like then iwstack is good. We will be adding 16 GB instances for the general public in a day or two (previously only corporate customers had access to instances over 8 GB).
    Most fail-over hosts dont have SSD as it is rather awkward to run with SSD on a SAN, it wont increase response much due to the fact that non-local storage will never be as fast as local storage given the same disk configuration.

• kontamkontam Member
    edited November 2013

DediServe 8GB/120GB/? = $177,78

SolarVPS 8GB(8cores)/120GB/16TB + cPanel/CL/backup = $135

StylexNetworks 8GB(16cores)/300GB/13TB + cPanel/CL/backup = $199,44

@Maounique there is no way I am ever signing up with iwStack. Your customer service is beyond terrible. I've been practically begging you people for three days straight to help me sign up and take my money and I got nothing back. I am satisfied with Prometeus as I have two VPSes over there which I don't need anymore (and won't be renewing them).

edited November 2013

@kontam said:
    DediServer 8GB/120GB/? = $177,78

SolarVPS 8GB(8cores)/120GB/16TB + cPanel/CL/backup = $135
    StylexNetworks 8GB(16cores)/300GB/13TB + cPanel/CL/backup = $199,44

iwstack 8GB(8 cores), 300 GB storage, 300 GB separate for snapshots, templates, isos, 1.5 GB an hour outgoing, incoming free, 78 Eur a month (100 $)

http://www.iwstack.com/price-calculator/

edited November 2013

@kontam said:
    Maounique there is no way I am ever signing up with iwStack. Your customer service is beyond terrible. I've been practically begging you people for three days straight to help me sign up and take my money and I got nothing back. I am satisfied with Prometeus as I have two VPSes over there which I don't need anymore (and won't be renewing them).

Well, we have to protect against the state, they dont like it when people sign up with an address that does not even come close to their location. This is the law here and we must be able to say in good faith we tried to avoid fake customer data as much as possible.
    I am bookmarking this thread to be offered as proof :)
    One day nobody will be able to accept this kind of signup, as long as everyone is happy with the anti-islam laws, they will pop up all over the world, not only in US, UK, Italy, etc.

• It's not a problem anymore, I've moved on. Not that it matters now, but in EU it's legal for a director to reside in another EU country. At least it isn't problem for others whose services I'm using legally, so I don't know why would it be problem for you.

Anyway, DO promise to be implementing CloudLinux support as well as storage as add-on but God knows when and the closest to a good and affordable cloud provider comes StylexNetworks. I can't find much reviews on them however.

edited November 2013

@kontam said:
    It's not a problem anymore, I've moved on. Not that it matters now, but in EU it's legal for a director to reside in another EU country. At least it isn't problem for others whose services I'm using legally, so I don't know why would it be problem for you.

No problem for us either, most people order from their workplace if it is a company, directors often have VPN access, so this case is very rare.

Anyway, DO promise to be implementing CloudLinux support as well as storage as add-on but God knows when and the closest to a good and affordable cloud provider comes StylexNetworks. I can't find much reviews on them however.

From what I know, while DO will add more templates, the kernel wont be customizable same as for the old ones.
    http://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digital-ocean/suggestions/3988546-allow-custom-kernels

There are workarounds though:

• Hmm, thanks, this might be the only solution to this at the moment. More like a workaround rather than a solution, but still...

• A bit late to chime in here but some reviews here. We've had our issues as well but if you want happy to give you a test VM to try.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1295945&highlight=servgrid

• NECRO

• @Nekki said:
    NECRO

He's necro'd twice so far :(