Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for EU based dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for EU based dedicated server

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a dedicated server in the EU, with at least a dual E5-2670v2 (or similar).
It should also have 64GB RAM, and around 480GB SSD, 1Gbit port.
I would like to have the option to add a Windows Server 2016 license (the 180 day trial would work as well), or have ESXi 6.5 available for me.

I can double the price of the similarly speced NOCIX/DEDISPEC servers, meaning that I'm willing to pay around 150$ for it (with the WS2016 license included, if possible).

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Your budget is still low for dual E5. Especially with a Windows license.

• plau889plau889 Member
    edited July 2019

@Clouvider said:
    Your budget is still low for dual E5. Especially with a Windows license.

What if we take out the Windows license? Is it doable?
    It still bugs me a little bit, that I MUST get this server in the EU, since I'm really unaware of the prices in here.

Removing Windows license takes it from borderline crazy to extremely low end - not something we will be accommodate, it five this is EOL gear there might be someone who will be able to offer you something on it.

• @Clouvider said:
    Removing Windows license takes it from borderline crazy to extremely low end - not something we will be accommodate, it five this is EOL gear there might be someone who will be able to offer you something on it.

Can you give me a price, then, for something similar? With no WS2016 license, only a free trial, or ESXi 6.5 trial. And I'm also curious about the location.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

We had similar what you need, but it is out of stock, tried to look around, but no one cancellation/incoming server is available.

2 x 2650v2, 128GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SSD, 1Gbps, HW RAID 2 drives - 90 euro/month

A bit more with 2 x 500 SSD... So I believe it is possible to find something similar in EU.

• @bacloud said:
    We had similar what you need, but it is out of stock, tried to look around, but no one cancellation/incoming server is available.

2 x 2650v2, 128GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SSD, 1Gbps, HW RAID 2 drives - 90 euro/month

A bit more with 2 x 500 SSD... So I believe it is possible to find something similar in EU.

Sounds like an amazing deal!
    Thank you for letting me know that I didn't have impossible requests... even the dual 2650v2 would've been good, and the 128GB RAM is more than enough.

• skbenterpriseskbenterprise Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

We can offer you this configuration:

• 2x Intel Xeon E5 2620 v2
    • 64 GB RAM
    • 2x 480 GB SSD or 4x 2 TB HDD
    • 1 Gbps uplink
    • 25 TB traffic

75 euro per month (~84 USD)
    In stock, delivery <12 hours

Order link: https://clients.skb-enterprise.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=150

Other dedicated servers: https://skb-enterprise.com/dedicated-server/

The server is located in our Amsterdam datacenter. Network: 64425.

• williewillie Member

E5-2670v2 is a pretty old processor and Windows licenses are priced by the core or maybe the socket. A newer, single socket cpu may be able to handle your workload as well as the E5 and let you use a cheaper license. E.g. since this is LET, if you're willing to use a server with no ECC, you could try a Hetzner EX62 (8 core 3.6ghz (base) / 5 ghz (turbo) i9 with around same passmark as 2xE5-2670v2) with 64gb ram and 2x1tb NVMe for 64 euro+vat. ECC servers are somewhat more, unfortunately, but several are available.

I notice on ovh.fr public cloud offers that windows license on 16 vcore and lower instances is 30 euro/month but on 32 vcore is 60 euro/month. Again I don't know whether it's cores or sockets that are being counted, or how that would translate to a BYO license for a dedi.

Since you mentioned a 180 day trial, I notice online.net has a promo with 2x Xeon Silver 4114 at €117.49/m for first 6 months, then 234.99. That's a 20 core 2.2 ghz setup with 2x1TB NVMe and 128GB ECC ram, and it should be comparable to that E5 in speed.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL uptime

willie said: E5-2670v2 is a pretty old processor and Windows licenses are priced by the core or maybe the socket.

By the core now, the license would take vast majority of the budget.
    Offering a trial license on a paid service is a breach of Microsoft's license.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:
    E5-2670v2 is a pretty old processor and Windows licenses are priced by the core or maybe the socket. A newer, single socket cpu may be able to handle your workload as well as the E5 and let you use a cheaper license. E.g. since this is LET, if you're willing to use a server with no ECC, you could try a Hetzner EX62 (8 core 3.6ghz (base) / 5 ghz (turbo) i9 with around same passmark as 2xE5-2670v2) with 64gb ram and 2x1tb NVMe for 64 euro+vat. ECC servers are somewhat more, unfortunately, but several are available.

I notice on ovh.fr public cloud offers that windows license on 16 vcore and lower instances is 30 euro/month but on 32 vcore is 60 euro/month. Again I don't know whether it's cores or sockets that are being counted, or how that would translate to a BYO license for a dedi.

Since you mentioned a 180 day trial, I notice online.net has a promo with 2x Xeon Silver 4114 at €117.49/m for first 6 months, then 234.99. That's a 20 core 2.2 ghz setup with 2x1TB NVMe and 128GB ECC ram, and it should be comparable to that E5 in speed.

Thank you for this! I will order the Hetzner EX62, and I will test it for a while. It sure has the same passmark score, but I'm curious how it really handles, compared to the dual Xeon's.

I'm still looking for dual Xeon setups, so if anybody has some leads, let me know.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep

@plau889 Hello, how much traffic do you need on the 1 Gbps?

• @MivoCloud said:
    @plau889 Hello, how much traffic do you need on the 1 Gbps?

100TB is the usual that I like to have. Maybe 50TB would work as well.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2019

We have the following server in stock:
    2 x E5-2660v2, 64GB RAM, 2 x 500GB SSD, 1Gbps port, HW Raid, for 89 euro/month

It's a custom offer. We don't offer it publicly on our website. We hold these servers for custom requests :)

Setup time a few hours on business hours.

• williewillie Member

plau889 said: Thank you for this! I will order the Hetzner EX62, and I will test it for a while. It sure has the same passmark score, but I'm curious how it really handles, compared to the dual Xeon's.

I'd be interested to know what you find. Online had E5's in the past but seems to have retired them in favor of Xeon Scaleable. I see worldstream.nl has some dual E5's starting with an E5-2620v4 at 89 euro, but the bigger ones are quite a bit more expensive. They have a la carte add-ons and a substantial annual discount so take that into account when shopping.

• HI

If you can increase a little bit the budget I can offer you this: Dedicated server HP DL160 Gen9 4LFF, 2 x E5-2680v4, 4 x 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-24000P-R

• hetzner is good

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL