Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does HostSolutions.ro still exist? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does HostSolutions.ro still exist?

124»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Amitz said:
    I smell some serious Stockholm Syndrome in this thread.

It’s not Stockholm Syndrome if you walk into a siege currently in progress and volunteer to be a hostage.

• But it's some kind of syndrome for sure. :wink:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amitz said: But it's some kind of syndrome for sure.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2019

@Amitz said:
    But it's some kind of syndrome for sure. :wink:

It’s certainly unhealthy. Although it has to be said, what could be more ridiculously LET than buying a service you know is not going to work properly all the time because the price is low enough you’re prepared to accept it a level of service that would otherwise likely be unacceptable?

I’m just as bad, I’ve had a VPS out for over a month after my IP4 disappeared but I don’t actually care much because I’m getting 450GB for €1/month and I don’t run anything I can’t have disappear.

Thanked by 2skorous Lee
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

jsg said: So I'm focussing on basically just 1 point: does he deliver acceptably? It seems that no, he does not.

If you don't want the product then don't buy it. Certainly people who buy these should know what they are getting into, but those of us who are used to it and buy them anyway are obviously ok with it. Remember that LET is primarily a hobbyist forum and most of us are running (if not outright idlers) personal VM's that can stand some downtime etc. compared to production systems. If that doesn't work for you, you should probably ask for a refund. If you don't even have one of these servers in the first place, why are you sticking around haranguing this thread?

I just logged into my server and it is working fine (says 35 days uptime). I also had to wait a while for it to be activated and longer still for it to become usable after I bought it, but it's been sufficient for my requirements since then. I wouldn't recommend it for a public-facing service, but for personal usage I actually like a bit of chaos at the host. It's like visiting someone whose house is a mess. It means I can relax and not worry about them hounding my ass if I slip up about something myself. Others might freak out in such an environment but that's them and I'm me.

Anyway I'm an experienced enough user that I don't need someone else telling me what I should or shouldn't find acceptable. I have one of these servers and I like it. Stockholm syndrome? Nah, just realistic understanding of the product.

Thanked by 1level6
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@willie

My point isn't that HostSolutions products are not fast, highly reliable, etc.

My point is that a customer should be able to expect a working product and in the case of hosting a halfway decent support.

I find it perfectly OK if performance and connectivity are mediocre or even sh_tty for $1 per month. I also find it perfectly OK to wait half a day for a support answer even excl. weekends. Not getting a support response for days or even weeks however or products that are sold and simply not available however is completely unacceptable.

• jsg said: I also find it perfectly OK to wait half a day for a support answer even excl. weekends. Not getting a support response for days or even weeks however or products that are sold and simply not available however is completely unacceptable.

And there's the important part you keep missing "I find". @Nekki hit the nail on the head ( although I'm mostly serious and I think he was mainly joking ). I went in eyes open and for my purposes, it's acceptable. Would I run production or even test-dev on it? Lol, no. But playground stuff? Sure. You put yourself in a position to decide what is and isn't acceptable for me and that is what I took exception with.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

I'm a customer and I don't recognize you as an authority on what I should expect. I bought this thing knowing what to expect and I got what I expected and if I wasn't ok with that, I wouldn't have bought it.

Yeah hostsolutions has sometimes taken a few days to answer my tickets. It just hasn't bothered me. I worked at a much higher end hosting company than anything on LET and I was always shocked at how slow we were at ticket response compared to LET hosts. Management and customers were ok with it, shrug.

I see other people's stuff taking weeks (and mine did when I bought it) because of infrastructure issues, but the issues were discussed enough in LET threads that I didn't see any point to opening tickets in the first place.

I guess I see some services as like Amazon Prime where you order it and breathlessly wait by the mailbox, and others as like Ali Express, where you order it and get on with your life, and it arrives sometime later. It's mostly a matter of knowing what you are dealing with and buying with your eyes open. This is supposed to be the low end after all.

Thanked by 2skorous level6

@skorous @willie

No. You merely replace my "judgement" with yours. The problem is that you are based on a wrong premise; you talk about a more or less working product - and I don't disagree with that but I discussed about not-at-all-working or not really available products.

In other words, we probably can all agree that it's a quite individual question whether one likes or dislikes any given product and what level of performance, reliability, etc. one expects. The problem in this case however is that not existing products are sold and that there are considerable delays in delivery because the infrastructure on which those products are built is flaky too. Plus support is very poor. THAT is what I criticize, not the products.
    Just look at the recent KVM offer. The announced (already quite long) delivery time of about 2 weeks has more than doubled and the provider himself stated that they are working on major problems which delays delivery.

What I see is not a provider but a sad lottery. And well noted, I still think that he is a nice person (but unfortunately a lousy provider).

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2019

jsg said: No. You merely replace my "judgement" with yours.

If I'm the one considering buying, why should I care about your "judgement"? And if customers (such as the OP of this thread) have issues with Hostsolutions and want to air them, that's one thing, but where do you come into this? Have you ever bought a hostsolutions server? Or do you just come here to spout off about a product you don't use? It is not for everyone, but there are enough actual users reporting actual experiences that I don't see your posts as contributing. You are not informing, you're just bloviating.

So yes, I go by my own "judgement" as informed by the experiences of other people who use the product. That seems like a reasonable thing to do. The opinions of non-users such as yourself are quite worthless for that purpose.

• For those that are totally fine with this level of service, it seems you don't value your time, at all. You also have pretty high tolerance to incompetence, and that will hurt your credibility in the long run. Sure, the guy is "a good guy", but if that doesn't translate into making it a better company and better service, it's irrelevant.

I thought Cloud at Cost was the worst provider. I've changed my mind.

Thanked by 1BlaZe

Btw, hostsolutions.ro is currently down.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

VPS’s going up and down like a whore’s draws.

• @TimboJones said:
    For those that are totally fine with this level of service, it seems you don't value your time, at all. You also have pretty high tolerance to incompetence, and that will hurt your credibility in the long run. Sure, the guy is "a good guy", but if that doesn't translate into making it a better company and better service, it's irrelevant.

You may be right or you may be wrong but I doubt whether most give a fuck.

FYI: HostSolutions seems to be back online,

• @Nekki said:
    VPS’s going up and down like a whore’s draws.

I thought it was just mine...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

That was one of the faster fscks.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I do not recommend them, terrible host. Network is very unstable and when you open ticket they simply delete it :disappointed:

Very unprofessional.

• My p0rn collection deserves a better host.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Kiwi83 said:
    My p0rn collection deserves a better host.

It really doesn’t.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2019

How will you test your high availability planning without at least 1 chaos monkey vps?

https://github.com/Netflix/chaosmonkey

• I also don't know what to do right now. I love my server with cociu, but my upload speed has been terrible for at least two weeks now. I can't use it really and fear I have to quit soon, which I absolutely don't want to...

Thanked by 1uptime

• @blablub123 said:
    I also don't know what to do right now. I love my server with cociu, but my upload speed has been terrible for at least two weeks now. I can't use it really and fear I have to quit soon, which I absolutely don't want to...

Find another server to love. It shouldn't be too hard, it just needs to stay up to be better.

• @TimboJones said: [...]

ermm ... so, how's that supposed to work exactly?

nvm, "that's what she said" yup