Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Open vSwitch as a bridge for SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open vSwitch as a bridge for SolusVM

vermilion_laovermilion_lao Member
edited July 2019 in Help

Hi all

Glad to be on LET and this is my first discussion topic here :)
Currently, I am testing SolusVM software as a management panel for KVM machines to make sure that it suits me.

I read installation tutorial and it suggests configuring standard bridge. I was thinking to make a little extra and replaced it with Open vSwitch. I know that it can be risky for a production setup, but I am on testing stage and can experiment, right?
I set it succesfully and even added the slave without problem. But when I am trying to create a VPS it fails with the following error:

virsh create /home/kvm/kvm101/kvm101.xml

error: Failed to create domain from /home/kvm/kvm101/kvm110.xml
error: Unable to add bridge br0 port kvm101.0: Operation not supported

And my question is - did anyone try this kind of configuration with Open vSwitch as a bridge and made it work? What do you think about Open vSwitch in general? It is about 9 years in development. Does it worth to continue fighting or it is better to switch back to bridgetools?

Comments

• UPD.
    Ok, I found it.
    Just added into the network section in the XML file of the VPS and it is started.
    In SolusVM I found Custom Config option and potentially I can make it work by adding of virtualport parameter.
    So, this is possible.

The question remains, does it worth to use Open vSwitch instead of standard bridge tool?
    Pros and cons when it is impemented to KVM server.