Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to build a RAID 1 with 1 none empty hard drive with 1 empty hard drive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to build a RAID 1 with 1 none empty hard drive with 1 empty hard drive?

dnwkdnwk Member
edited November 2013 in Help

I have 1 hard drive and I already put stuff on it. I am trying to buy a new hard drive and a RAID card. Is it possible to build a RAID 1 without wipe my old hard drive?
How about Adaptec RAID 2405 RAID card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103102

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

You can do this with software RAID

• @leapswitch said:
    You can do this with software RAID

How much slower will the software RAID compare to hardware raid

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@dnwk said:

You won't notice any difference. The Adapter 2405 does not have BBU AFAIK, so you won't be able to make use of write cache anyway.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

You can selectively RAID individual partions with SW RAID so I don't see any reason you can't do what you are asking.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You could do that. Raid 1 is faster than single drive in reads if configured correctly, and in linux software raid should be.
    With write though, it wont, mixed reads/writes as in a multithreaded environment will negate the gain even further.
    It will, though, be much faster than if you take frequent backups, say one an hour, it will have more recent (instant) data and will not be slowed down during backups.
    So it is worth it for data protection only or if you have much more reads than writes and a correctly configured raid.