Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Questions about CPanel Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some Questions about CPanel Hosting

spitzspitz Member

I just used random domain name to get the cpanel account because I don't intend to point my domain to it yet until I finished with the website.

How do I access the website without using the domain name? Since it's a shared IP address, I don't really know what to type on the bar.

Also, if I'm pointing my domain name to the CPanel account, must I also change the nameservers to the ones provided by the CPanel hosting?

Kinda confused what to do with shared IP.

Thanked by 1uptime

Comments

• If enabled, your provider will have the url IPADDRESS/~username for previews.

To point your domain you need to use their nameservers or your own nameservers pointing to their server.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • I find reading the emails after I sign-up provides an abundance of clues

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • williewillie Member

Just get another domain (lots of 99 cents-for-first-year specials around) and use it for your test setups.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • spitzspitz Member

@Mic-hael said:
    If enabled, your provider will have the url IPADDRESS/~username for previews.

To point your domain you need to use their nameservers or your own nameservers pointing to their server.

Thanks man, it works!

So if I want to change the random domain name later to my actual domain, I need to open a ticket with the webhost right?

What should I put on the A Record then? The shared IP? And then change the my nameservers to the webhosts?

If I want to keep my registrar nameservers, how to point to their server? What record must I make on my domain registrar?

@TinFoil2019 said:
    I find reading the emails after I sign-up provides an abundance of clues

There's none darling.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

If it's shared hosting, nameservers are provided by your host which should be indicated in your welcome e-mail or something similar.

No need to send an e-mail to your host as long as nameservers are theirs.

• spitzspitz Member

@willie said:
    Just get another domain (lots of 99 cents-for-first-year specials around) and use it for your test setups.

Good point.

• spitzspitz Member
    edited July 2019

@deank said:
    If it's shared hosting, nameservers are provided by your host which should be indicated in your welcome e-mail or something similar.

No need to send an e-mail to your host as long as nameservers are theirs.

Pretty sure I need to email them to change the domain name from the random one I submitted when the account was created.
    So for A record use the shared IP and nameservers use the ones provided in the email?

I'm good with my VPS, just a little bit confused about shared hosting.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

True, if you didn't submit (let them know) your domain during initial account set up, yes.

Hm, if you have VPS, the process isn't different at all when it comes to nameservers. You use theirs instead of yours.

• williewillie Member

spitz said: Pretty sure I need to email them to change the domain name from the random one I submitted when the account was created.

I think there is a way to set it in cpanel.

• You could ticket them and they could recreate your account (save your data firrst)
    or you could use your main domain as an "addon domain" of your junk domain.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • sacovesacove Member

You set an A record, OR update nameservers to the ones they provide (which should already be set up with the correct A record, plus various cnames and Mx records as well).

As far as adding your actual domain, you could submit a ticket to change the primary domain, or just add it as an add-on domain if your plan allows that.

For viewing your website before you have updated your DNS, I find the best option is to add an entry with the shared IP in your local (on your PC) .hosts file. That way any software that relies on http headers (like wordpress) will work correctly.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • xaocxaoc Member

freedns.afraid.org is an option.