Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what will happen to reseller hosting after cpanel price change
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what will happen to reseller hosting after cpanel price change

mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

I am wondering what will happen to resller hosting after cpanel price change ?

Thanked by 1mosalam

Comments

• FootKaputFootKaput Member
    edited July 2019

Read through the many posts here already. Unlimited reseller accounts can't survive under cPanel with the new pricing. You'll see several sellers already cut back allowed account and/or raised prices to cover. This is only way you will see sustainable hosts sell cPanel reseller accounts. If DirectAdmin pans out to be a viable alternative, I could see hosts dropping cPanel, too.

I am fairly sure that any host still selling cPanel unlimited reseller accts will be deadpooled within a short timeframe. I assume it wouldn't be that difficult to write a script to create new accounts quickly... and if each cost $0.10, generating 1000 accounts would cost $100 more in licensing. I'd hope that most people are honest and trustworthy, but I still get spam and robocalls...so that theory goes out the window. A few will mess it up for the many, and smart sellers already know that.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158798/hostmantis-new-announcement/p1
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158913/buyshared-increased-pricing-announcement-from-cpanel-price-increase/p1

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

It will be tough for those who only have a few servers, like 1/2 servers. For larger providers, it's just a matter of an increase in licensing costs and a hike in package pricing subsequently.

It is going to be close to a death blow for those who are selling hosting from a reseller hosting.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • Nigh is their terminal stage.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

You will pay more.

Sue CPanel.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Providers will have to increase their prices, move to Direct Admin, or other similar alternative control panel. Either way that translates to less profit for the provider, and a bigger bite in profit going to CPanel. A price increase that doesn't bring anything new to CPanel, same functions and features.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

I have plans to limit the reseller on the basis of cpanel accounts. Thats the only way going forward. And ofcourse look into DA for my next server.

• mustafamw3 said: I am wondering what will happen to resller hosting after cpanel price change ?

Reseller hosting will have to face:

1. Price Increase
      or
    2. Moving to alternative panel
    Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

September will be hellishly fun to observe.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@deank said:

I honestly believe there is a bunch of hosts that have no idea this is going on.

Francisco

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 willie
  • donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

@deank said:

I honestly believe there is a bunch of hosts that have no idea this is going on.

cPanel didn't exactly make an extreme effort to inform all their licensees of the new pricing.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • What is the big deal about C-Panel?

I remember asking a few We hosting Companies back bout ten years or so ago, of I could create a Web-Based Panel to assist me with running a Web Hosting Company! You know what they told me? Sure, nothing like that exists! O also introduced them to C-Panel and WHCMS? Either way, why bother or worry, when it's still really outdated and needs a ton of help, which is likely why their preparing to change that!

Let's build our own!

Any ideas?

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • williewillie Member

Hobokken, there are lots of alternative panels to cpanel. cpanel is just the biggest and fanciest, and it has a lot of 3rd party add-ons, so building a serious competitor to it would be quite a massive undertaking. Since cpanel has been relatively affordable up til now, it has controlled most of the market. Direct Admin just got a big boost from cpanel's price increase, but that just positions them as a low budget less-features alternative.

Here is cpanel's feature list if you want to know what you're getting into in trying to reimplement it. There's no real rocket science in it but there's a heck of a lot of details, each of which must be gotten working right, made to look good, documented, maintained, etc. And many of those features have to interact with external systems and software that themselves keep changing, so maintenance is a never ending battle.

Finally, the hosting world is not really like the FOSS world. Expectations and norms are different. So complicated hosting software is more likely to be proprietary than free, even though hosting itself is utterly dependent on FOSS.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • use virtualmin.

• @FootKaput said:
    Read through the many posts here already. Unlimited reseller accounts can't survive under cPanel with the new pricing. You'll see several sellers already cut back allowed account and/or raised prices to cover. This is only way you will see sustainable hosts sell cPanel reseller accounts. If DirectAdmin pans out to be a viable alternative, I could see hosts dropping cPanel, too.

I am fairly sure that any host still selling cPanel unlimited reseller accts will be deadpooled within a short timeframe.

Not necessarily. Those with higher profit margins and good planning could pull it off. Not all the resellers will use/create thousands of cPanel accounts. If nothing else, they are limited by storage space (unless that too is "unlimited"). With good monitoring (to prevent automated creation of 1000 cPanels, just for fun), it could work.

Having said that, since many people think like you wrote here, I'm sure most smart hosting providers will stop offering unlimited, just so that clients wouldn't fear they'll go bust within a years time.

• StemeSteme Member

If cpanel price change then you can find cheap hosting panel and migrate your data to other hosting panel.

• There will be no more cheap cpanel $2 / year hosting. Other than that, probably the same.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

I assume some customers will switch to DA because they don't specifically need cPanel or are not dependent on any particular panel, for example, freelancers, web developers, students etc.

However, It will be hard to switch for them who feel comfortable with cPanel.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said:
    I assume some customers will switch to DA because they don't specifically need cPanel or are not dependent on any particular panel, for example, freelancers, web developers, students etc.

However, It will be hard to switch for them who feel comfortable with cPanel.

Well. Habits. As long as they can still do what they need, they will be fine.