Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low cost alternatives to spot instances in Amazon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low cost alternatives to spot instances in Amazon

edescourtisedescourtis Member
edited July 2019 in General

I am running very CPU intense workloads. I am currently running hundreds of c5.18xlarge machines using EC2 spot instances in AWS. However, the cost is high at about 1.04 USD/hr per machines. What is the most cost-effective alternative available right now?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Vultr has 12 core compute instances for $0.38/hour but that's pretty pointless compared to your AWS instances that have 72 cores or threads. Not sure of anyone that's actually cheaper.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Google Cloud? Hetzner Cloud?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Does your workload need to fit into RAM?

Hetzner cloud offers 32 Xeon Gold dedicated 'threads' +128GB ram on their highest plan for 0.48 eur/Hr.

If you have a fixed baseline load (or guaranteed more than 220hours per month) , then pick up one or two of their 100-110 Euro/Mo! 256GB ram E5 dedis from their server auction system. ( https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=OTHER&search=ecc )
    Use them to scale compute up and down with the hcloud api(ansible modules available since v 2.8)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member

If you're running these workloads nonstop, then get dedicated servers, perhaps Hetzner AX160 or WSI E5-2670/80 v2 or whatever, depending. What is the application if I can ask?

Thanked by 2vimalware eva2000
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Just as a baseline -- The c5.18xlarge is a Xeon Platinum 8124M with a passmark of ~2000 per core - 36 cores (they claim 72, but its 36 cores/72 threads). You are getting ~36000 passmark for $1.08 an hour ($777/month).

As @willie mentioned, if your running this non-stop, lots of providers can offer systems (you would likely need more than one) that can meet that performance at a fraction of the cost. I could provide a pair of E5-2690x2 (~20000 passmark/ea) for $125/month (33% of the cost of AWS).

We could provide some significant "baseload" if you have constantly running workloads.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member

I hope this has nothing to with mining or sneakers, btw.

• @willie said:
    I hope this has nothing to with mining or sneakers, btw.

As long as he's properly paying for the equipment used to make those sneakers mine it should be fine though, given that he's looking for dedicated stuffs.

• Reach out to GCP sales by telephone, on Monday I've heard unbelievable stories of what they will do to win business off AWS, you need a minimum monthly spend of $10k though which I would gather you're easily doing. I'd also call Azure although I've not heard anything about their willingness to win AWS business.

Btw, what the hell is a sneaker? I googled and got a chicken and egg answer...

Thanked by 1willie
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@fpmagic said:

A sneaker is an item of footwear.

A sneaker bot is how you cop the latest sneaker(s).

Thanked by 1fpmagic
  • @donli said:

@fpmagic said:

A sneaker is an item of footwear.

A sneaker bot is how you cop the latest sneaker(s).

Seriously? No way... Wow, that's my sunday pub story for this afternoon, I'm shocked I never imagine people suffering with vanity issues would be writing regex or css selectors and scraping clothing sites.. Thanks :smile:

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • lazytlazyt Member

Athletic shoes like Nikes

• @lazyt said:
    Athletic shoes like Nikes

Is this for people like those who wear caps/hats with the hologram sticker still attached?

• lazytlazyt Member

For the limited production shoes to grab them before anyone else and sell at high prices.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@fpmagic said:

Seriously? No way... Wow, that's my sunday pub story for this afternoon, I'm shocked I never imagine people suffering with vanity issues would be writing regex or css selectors and scraping clothing sites.. Thanks :smile:

• @donli said:

@fpmagic said:

Surreal... I had to double check this whole thing isn't a parody..

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@fpmagic said:

Surreal... I had to double check this whole thing isn't a parody..

People are crazy, you know.

https://list25.com/25-most-expensive-sneakers-ever-made/

• Some people love $1000 sneakers, some of us live for $1 vps.
    ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1uptime
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If ARM is acceptable, Packet.net has a bare-metal ARM server for $0.50/hour. 96 cores at 2.0GHz, 128GB RAM, 20gbps network. Per these benchmarks, the c5.18xlarge does seem to perform 2-3 times as well on a lot of workloads, so the price difference probably won't be significant, depending on your workload.

Thanked by 1uptime