Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want a website panel made - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want a website panel made

2»

Comments

• HxxxHxxx Member

You can always check stackshare.io/stacks and have a blast knowing what technologies companies are using.

Thanked by 1level6
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    Paypal is written in Javascript (node.js) and Stripe is written in Ruby. You have to be careful of what you are doing regardless of language.

Not entirely true. Their frontend is, apparently, but not the internal transaction processing systems, nor the internal CRM, etc.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited July 2019

@joepie91 said:

@willie said:
    Paypal is written in Javascript (node.js) and Stripe is written in Ruby. You have to be careful of what you are doing regardless of language.

Not entirely true. Their frontend is, apparently, but not the internal transaction processing systems, nor the internal CRM, etc.

PayPal definitely use node.js in some form on the backend () although it may not be part of the request pipeline for accepting/authorizing/notifying a payment, just like Twitter use both Kotlin and Scala and , in a microservices world you'll find large orgs with sufficient scale don't win with single stack mindset. I found jobs before using Clojure in the interview even though I ended up working in ML. Most large orgs are polyglot because its makes sense in attracting talent.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@fpmagic said:

@joepie91 said:

@willie said:

PayPal definitely use node.js in some form on the backend () although it may not be part of the request pipeline for accepting/authorizing/notifying a payment, just like Twitter use both Kotlin and Scala and , in a microservices world you'll find large orgs with sufficient scale don't win with single stack mindset. I found jobs before using Clojure in the interview even though I ended up working in ML. Most large orgs are polyglot because its makes sense in attracting talent.

Right, to clarify: with "frontend", I'm referring to the more traditional big-company definition of it; ie. not "the code that runs in the browser", but "the entire application that the end user interacts with". So that would include the server-side Node.js-y bits that serve up the end user interface, even though more recently that's come to be called "backend".

I do agree that you'll find more than one 'stack' in any reasonably big company, but it doesn't really have anything to do with "microservices". Microservices are just a fairly recent over-exaggerated (and imo technologically nonsensical) version of service-oriented architectures, and both those and mixed-stack practices have been around for much longer than microservices have.

Thanked by 1fpmagic
  • @joepie91 said:

@fpmagic said:

@joepie91 said:

@willie said:

Right, to clarify: with "frontend", I'm referring to the more traditional big-company definition of it; ie. not "the code that runs in the browser", but "the entire application that the end user interacts with". So that would include the server-side Node.js-y bits that serve up the end user interface, even though more recently that's come to be called "backend".

I do agree that you'll find more than one 'stack' in any reasonably big company, but it doesn't really have anything to do with "microservices". Microservices are just a fairly recent over-exaggerated (and imo technologically nonsensical) version of service-oriented architectures, and both those and mixed-stack practices have been around for much longer than microservices have.

Yeah agree, bad choice of words, microservices has about a clear a definition as cloud, maybe be a better way to put it would be any organization large enough to have multiple product teams, if they coordinate via a cough shared database or the latest service fabric mesh or something like nats.io it's kind of irrelevant. Same with frontend, if they just using express and pulling data from back end and templating some would call it frontend and I guess it is. Terminology battles :wink:

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2019

@fpmagic said:
    Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Caddy are all written in Golang, I would not consider Golang problematic from the pov of creating secure software. And I say that as someone is not a big fan of Golang, I dislike the lack of parameterized types and syntactic sugar, I also prefer exceptions rather errors as values, although I have contributed multiple times to Kubernetes.

None of the four projects you mentioned are in the "secure software" category.

Yes, we should all write in C and manage memory ourselves for something as undemanding are orchestration? /s Really, you have strong beliefs with little knowledge, and I very much doubt your credentials or that you've ever written a line of C in your life.

Maybe you should first leran about and understand the difference between a "C API" and "the software should be written in C" ...

Personally, going forward, I think Rust lang strikes a good balance of expressiveness (ADTs for the win), safety (thanks to the borrow checker), and deployment (compiled to single static executable), I don't mention performance because that rarely a concern in orchestration.

In other words, you follow the current hype wave. And btw. performance is almost always a concern with server software.

C API? For orchestration, please stop contributing, there is no need for a C API when a simple REST API or similar will suffice for sensibility.

When I say "API" I mean an interface for programming. A typical use is modules/extensions. Evidently you don't know it but it's a fact that many languages offer a C interface, be it directly (e.g. as an output option for their compiler) or be it via some FFI.

There's also no reason one can't have a secure, safe, reliable control panel written in Python (or even PHP, although I jest that won't happen), equally you can fuck up in Rust or Ocaml or F# or whatever strong type system you think will save the world.

And again it shows that your basis is lacking. For one a strong type system is just one, albeit a very important one, element for creating secure software. And btw. no you can't f_ck up in Ocaml or F# (or F*, to mention a language expressly designed to allow for writing secure software) just as well as in PHP or Python. Simple reason: The compiler will accept much fewer sh_tty constructs.

You talk about verifably no errors, C does not provide this in any fashion, just stop please..

Again, learn about the difference between providing a C API and writing some software in C. And btw. you are wrong anyway because one can write quite secure code in C (well with esoteric extensions/add ons, eg. ACSL) and one can verify C code quite well; in fact, most checkers and verifiers still are for C.

(Not only your) problem in that regard is probably the difference between "checking code (in C) expressly written to be checked" vs. "throwing some body of code in C at a verifier and have it automagically find all problems". The former can be done but need knowledge and lots of work while the latter is the one everybody is after but which can be done only to a (regrettably low) degree.

Oh and, please, pretty please stop assuming that "big project done by big corp" somehow means "secure". It does not, at best and with some luck it means that at least some bright and experienced developers were/are involved.

• u were off a xan when u posted this huh

• "secure software" category, I do hope the last remaining Kodak shop in town is still in business, we have an order for a new addition to our wall of wtf..

Thanked by 2willie MikePT
  • For that budget, the Chinese can make a control panel called chabuduo (差不多)

For the uninitiated: https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity

• 5568.97EUR ÷ 5EUR/10kg = 11.13794t potatoes = 1 jam packed potatoe truck

• You can hire me. =) I have a reputation here though.
    I have not made a web panel yet but I think I can do.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Don't think you should be coding a web panel because programming requires to use your eyes to look at which you are not apparently good at.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

... and hes banned...

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

LOL, 5000 won't even be enough to code the email system

• level6level6 Member

@BlaZe said:
    ... and hes banned...

No provider tag and link to the their hosting in the signature, which happens to be the to their username.

Started idiotic thread for SEO?

• @deank said:
    Don't think you should be coding a web panel because programming requires to use your eyes to look at which you are not apparently good at.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@level6 said:

@BlaZe said:
    ... and hes banned...

No provider tag and link to the their hosting in the signature, which happens to be the to their username.

Started idiotic thread for SEO?

Ah

~~~~

In the mean time,

Thanked by 1level6