Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

North American dedicated server with redundant hard drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

North American dedicated server with redundant hard drives

pnormanpnorman Member
edited November 2013 in Requests

I've been trying to find a dedicated server to move my Europe-based services (on Hetzner) to somewhere closer to where my users are.

I am located in Vancouver, BC, Canada, along with most of my users. I'd rather not go across the entire continent, but I'm not too picky on location.

My minimum requirements are

• 8GB RAM
  • 2x 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives
  • 4 CPU threads
  • Able to install my own OS so I can adjust some setup details and disk partitioning
  • Remote reboot, etc

In terms of upgrades beyond this I would prioritize

• 16GB RAM
  • More CPU (a vague requirement, of course)
  • >=24GB RAM
  • Bigger drives
  • Located in BC

I do not want

• Hardware RAID
  • Managed

Current monthly traffic is <10GB/month, although I'm hoping this goes up. Given that most transfer limits I see are several TB or more, this isn't an issue.

Please indicate a test IP.

My current pricing is ~$42/month. LowEndTalk defines low end as $49/month although I'd be willing to go a bit above this for the right upgrades.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2013

OVH in BHS Canada? I haven't actually checked their plans, but probably they have something matching your requirements.

• @rds100 said:
    OVH in BHS Canada? I haven't actually checked their plans, but probably they have something matching your requirements.

Their KS1 perfectly matches your minimum requirement, for $39/m

• @joodle has one of the canada ovh servers he wants to get rid of that should suit (off top of my head)

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

Our Dual Xeon L5420 in Atlanta is $49 without the second hard drive. Adding the second hard drive is $15 per month, or we can do it for a one-time upgrade fee of $89.99.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/quickpacket-49month-dual-xeon-l5420-16gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-in-atlanta/

• I think he wants a dedicated server on the west coast of America/Canada. Since he is in Vancouver, BC and he doesn't want to cross any entire continent.

• Intel Xeon X3440 Quad-Core
    8GB Ram
    2 x 1TB SATA
    5tb on 100mbps

$69/month

Los Angeles, CA

Speed Test:
    http://speed.la.coloat.com/100mb.test

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I have a KS2 from OVH and it seems perfect for you.

If you want to upgrade you'll have to buy a new plan and migrate your data yourself, they won't swap the drives or do any upgrades to the system.

• I have considered OVH and their plans are very reasonable, but unfortunately their BHS data center located in Montreal, which is across the country. It's closer than Germany, so it's still an option.

For reference, OVH BHS has a 81ms ping to Telus in Vancouver and goes into OVH's network in Seattle. That's reasonable, but still cross-continent.

speed.la.coloat.com has a 36ms ping and goes through nlayer.

Both max out my bandwidth from home, but that's not saying much.

RyanD said: Xeon X3440 Quad-Core 8GB Ram 2 x 1TB SATA 5tb on 100mbps

$69/month

This interests me, for the 4 cores/8 threads and excellent connectivity to Vancouver.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@pnorman said:
    I've been trying to find a dedicated server to move my Europe-based services (on Hetzner) to somewhere closer to where my users are.

I am located in Vancouver, BC, Canada, along with most of my users. I'd rather not go across the entire continent, but I'm not too picky on location.

My minimum requirements are

• 8GB RAM
    • 2x 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives
    • 4 CPU threads
    • Able to install my own OS so I can adjust some setup details and disk partitioning
    • Remote reboot, etc

In terms of upgrades beyond this I would prioritize

• 16GB RAM
    • More CPU (a vague requirement, of course)
    • >=24GB RAM
    • Bigger drives
    • Located in BC

I do not want

• Hardware RAID
    • Managed

Current monthly traffic is <10GB/month, although I'm hoping this goes up. Given that most transfer limits I see are several TB or more, this isn't an issue.

Please indicate a test IP.

My current pricing is ~$42/month. LowEndTalk defines low end as $49/month although I'd be willing to go a bit above this for the right upgrades.

If you're willing to accept 5400rpm drives, we could meet your $49 per month budget requirement. Your server would be located in Seattle, WA at the Westin Building Exchange. At that facility we use a BGP mix of Level3 and AboveNet bandwidth. Depends on the carrier, but we can generally get a 3ms - 4ms ping to servers in Vancouver, BC . Global ping test results: http://tinyurl.com/k5494ga

Full system specs:

• Intel Xeon L5420 2.5Ghz quad core
    • 2x 1TB SATA 5400rpm
    • 8GB fully buffered registered memory
    • Free IPMI for remote reboot, OS reloads, console, etc.
    • 10TB bandwidth on a 100mbit port
    • 2 usable IPs

$49.95 per month, same-day setup.

If you'd like to upgrade in the future, your system could be fitted with dual L5420 CPUs, up to 64GB memory and two additional (four total) SATA drives.

Feel free to PM me for an order link.
  • @pnorman said:
    I have considered OVH and their plans are very reasonable, but unfortunately their BHS data center located in Montreal, which is across the country. It's closer than Germany, so it's still an option.

For reference, OVH BHS has a 81ms ping to Telus in Vancouver and goes into OVH's network in Seattle. That's reasonable, but still cross-continent.

speed.la.coloat.com has a 36ms ping and goes through nlayer.

Both max out my bandwidth from home, but that's not saying much.

This interests me, for the 4 cores/8 threads and excellent connectivity to Vancouver.

Message me and lets get you going :)