Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How you manage your multiple vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How you manage your multiple vps?

Looking forward for insane propositions!

Thanked by 1plumberg

Comments

• m..m..manage?

Oh shit.. gotta go

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Simply, really.

You don't.

Thanked by 1Kwoon
  • LeeLee Veteran

I have a man that comes in once a week.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Oh, look. You've got it back.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

Just don't. Let them run naked wild and free.

• I keep them self-managed

By

Powering them off.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • LvivLviv Member

cron yum update) how many you are talking about?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Lviv said:
    cron yum update) how many you are talking about?

Please no, one just one pdns update, broke my pdns cluster due to auto updates.
    So yea, dns went offline, bad times.

Additional to that, it was not even mentioned what the change was, apparently they added new config files which fucked with my current one.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited July 2019

How you manage your multiple VPS?

I feel pissed off because of this. I can spend more time for my girl, but I forced to fuck my servers and console, instead of a girl, also I wanna kill myself when I see conflicts with different old libs while upgrading something and I forced to resolve them, or if something dying after the upgrade, or after touching some stuff by just simply upgrading some software which have changed requirements and even after following these requirements something going wrong and break. This is really hard and frustrating to me, I already wrote a lot of scripts to automate a lot of things, but still forced to time to time check if everything is okay or not.

Tools what helps a lot:

• zsh
    • mobaxterm
    • sublime text (for editing purposes)
    • man
    • docker
  • LvivLviv Member

you don't have to manage your vps in webmin|virtualmin, it has auto-update on cron, the job is done

• Carefully

• LvivLviv Member

Neoon said: Additional to that, it was not even mentioned what the change was, apparently they added new config files which fucked with my current one.

what are you talking about?

• sinsin Member

XShell and Notepad...I keep a .txt file with all server info (network, setup notes, websites, etc) for each server.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • akhfaakhfa Member

Install all required software in docker, no clustering stuff, cron yum update at night on random time :)

• @desperand said:

How you manage your multiple VPS?

I feel pissed off because of this. I can spend more time for my girl, but I forced to fuck my servers and console, instead of a girl, also I wanna kill myself when I see conflicts with different old libs while upgrading something and I forced to resolve them, or if something dying after the upgrade, or after touching some stuff by just simply upgrading some software which have changed requirements and even after following these requirements something going wrong and break. This is really hard and frustrating to me, I already wrote a lot of scripts to automate a lot of things, but still forced to time to time check if everything is okay or not.

Tools what helps a lot:

• zsh
    • mobaxterm
    • sublime text (for editing purposes)
    • man
    • docker

Any free alternative to mobaxterm? I have over 20 vps which I need to have good hands on. Thnx

• B-by logging into your ssh via putty ? Is it wrong doing that way?

• khaledkhaled Member

I'm using Ansible to control remote servers from my fedora laptop. Takes time to get used to it, but it's very useful. Plenty of support and excellent documentation.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@khaled said:
    I'm using Ansible to control remote servers from my fedora laptop. Takes time to get used to it, but it's very useful. Plenty of support and excellent documentation.

Agree with this. Just make sure your ansible script up to date with anything you want to install. Sometime I create ansible script and run well for now. Around 1 month later, it can be broken because of different package dependencies on target server.

For ssh stuff, I prefer termius for mobile access. It has good UX when accessing server via mobile phone ;)

• MobaXTerm and notepad++

• YuraYura Member
    edited July 2019

If you leave SSH open, someone will manage it for you.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Lviv said:
    you don't have to manage your vps in webmin|virtualmin, it has auto-update on cron, the job is done

AutoUpdate®, a new sensational innovation by the people who brought you AutoStart®, AutoBoot® and AutoHebephrenia®.

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • I use runcloud. There is also serverpilot and other alternatives available. Works best with Ubuntu and that is what I run on all of my servers.

• bapbap Member
    edited July 2019

.ssh/config

3 vps, idle: 2.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Let all idle.

• Idle and reinstall of os getting bored so only use is trying new oses.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Chef and/or puppet helps a lot :)

• uptimeuptime Member

+1 for .ssh/config (and ssh-agent) together with tmux it's easy to hop around any number of vm's with just a few keystrokes.

update OS at least once a month (or sooner if security update advised)

if I haven't logged in between updates for any even remotely productive reason, then take a minute to try and remember why I ordered yet another idler ... ("evaluating suitability for xyz" etc.)

I have been pleasantly surprised lately to find idlers - mostly from the Virmach black friday flash deal feeding frenzy - all up-to-date and ready to be put to use whenever some random project pops up. While they've been idling for however many months, they're now a known quantity at least in terms of uptime.

• 479555479555 Member

What do you guys mean by manage? Installing updates?

I use JuiceSSH's plugin "Cluster snippet plugin".

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

We use Ansible to automate and manage our servers. Currently have around 12 internal playbooks with vars and maintain a few forked Ansible roles. Wouldn't have it any other way :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@479555 said:
    What do you guys mean by manage? Installing updates?

good question

regular updates would be the baseline

beyond that, I suppose it depends on the application

if nothing else, might add atop as another basic tool for monitoring resource use over time