Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small-scale VPS Reseller
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small-scale VPS Reseller

DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
edited July 2019 in Requests

Hi Collective,

I'll just put this as simple as I can.

Thoughts of starting up a small-scale online business selling VPSs has crossed my mind.

For starters, perhaps it would be good for me to resell VPSs from existing providers.

Due to this, I was wondering if there are any providers out there providing White-label VPS Reseller Plans, in a way that everything is built/provided by the provider, infrastructure wise (maybe via the SolusVM Reseller Panel?), and all I need to do is simply create the user/vps via a panel so I can be focusing on my own platform which includes my own website, billing, and looking for clients/customers.

I have not decided on anything specific but the idea is to sell OpenVZ/KVM VPSs at various locations around the globe, but eyeing more towards deploying out of the US West Coast, as I could potentially get customers from Asia.

If there are any providers out there that's able to facilitate my request, let me know and I'll discuss this internally with my partner and then maybe reach out to you for the next course of action.

But if anyone else has any other suggestions or comments, do share, I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• donlidonli Member

@tdp83 said:
    Hi Collective,

I'll just put this as simple as I can.

Thoughts of starting up a small-scale online business selling VPSs has crossed my mind.

But if anyone else has any other suggestions or comments, do share, I'm all ears.

"When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away.”

• Jake4Jake4 Member

I would say you could just buy a VPS pool and you could do it that way (and possibly make it automatic if there's an API available) but dealing with abuse and stuff wouldn't work out well as well as it wouldn't be that dynamic.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Jake4 said:
    I would say you could just buy a VPS pool and you could do it that way (and possibly make it automatic if there's an API available) but dealing with abuse and stuff wouldn't work out well as well as it wouldn't be that dynamic.

VPS pool via SolusVM Reseller Panel?

• OujiOuji Member

tdp83 said: VPS pool via SolusVM Reseller Panel?

@anyNode offers that

Thanked by 1anyNode
  • We have a resource pool for KVM VPS via virtualizor and comes with a WHMCS module to automate provisioning also.
    Have a look here

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2019

Don't bother with SolusVM's reseller panel -- it's a piece of sh*t.

It lacks the ability to modify existing virtual servers/migrate systems/view detailed statistics/etc, so if you want a reseller plan, Virtualizor is your friend. I'd use that any day over SVM's reseller panel.

• marvelmarvel Member

I just finished setting up my own VPS business with Solusvm and own rented dedicated servers which I installed KVM on.

It's really not that hard, yes it takes some time to set up but setting up billing, website etc takes a lot of time as well.

I think it's better to be fully in control yourself. It also makes it easy to switch providers if one fails or lets you down.

@HostDoc said:
    We have a resource pool for KVM VPS via virtualizor and comes with a WHMCS module to automate provisioning also.
    Have a look here

Cheers, will take a look.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Don't bother with SolusVM's reseller panel -- it's a piece of sh*t.

It lacks the ability to modify existing virtual servers/migrate systems/view detailed statistics/etc, so if you want a reseller plan, Virtualizor is your friend. I'd use that any day over SVM's reseller panel.

Thanks for the heads up.

I did come across some negative feedback by just randomly reading posts/forums about the reseller panel.

@marvel said:
    I just finished setting up my own VPS business with Solusvm and own rented dedicated servers which I installed KVM on.

It's really not that hard, yes it takes some time to set up but setting up billing, website etc takes a lot of time as well.

I think it's better to be fully in control yourself. It also makes it easy to switch providers if one fails or lets you down.

Grats mate.

Indeed, to be in full control, you'll just have to do it yourself, renting the dedicated servers from various places, building everything from scratch.

But for starters, I think kicking off with the VPS Resource Pool is not too bad.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@tdp83 said:

Indeed, to be in full control, you'll just have to do it yourself, renting the dedicated servers from various places, building everything from scratch.

There are several layers in a VPS. Ultimately it comes down to a server somewhere in a data center. The more middlemen you can eliminate the more profits can accumulate to you. Hetzner, for example, owns the data centers and their server hardware and provide their own personel which is how they can offer such good prices on many things.
    The next step up is to add a data center middleman and co-locate your hardware in a rack at someone else's data center.
    The next step up from that (possible additional middleman) is to rent someone's server in someone's data center.
    The next step up from that (another possible middleman) is to get a VPS pool on someone's dedicated server in someone's data center.

But for starters, I think kicking off with the VPS Resource Pool is not too bad.

It's a good starting place to learn. But if you have a spare PC somewhere use it to learn how to set up your own stuff on your own "dedicated hardware".

@donli said:

@tdp83 said:

There are several layers in a VPS. Ultimately it comes down to a server somewhere in a data center. The more middlemen you can eliminate the more profits can accumulate to you. Hetzner, for example, owns the data centers and their server hardware and provide their own personel which is how they can offer such good prices on many things.
    The next step up is to add a data center middleman and co-locate your hardware in a rack at someone else's data center.
    The next step up from that (possible additional middleman) is to rent someone's server in someone's data center.
    The next step up from that (another possible middleman) is to get a VPS pool on someone's dedicated server in someone's data center.

That basically sums it all up :smile: Well explained :smile:

It's a good starting place to learn. But if you have a spare PC somewhere use it to learn how to set up your own stuff on your own "dedicated hardware".

Sure it is but what about all the required licenses? Wouldn't it be costly?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@tdp83 said:
    Sure it is but what about all the required licenses? Wouldn't it be costly?

There's free versions of software for most of the parts (including often free 'lite' versions of paid software - like Virtualizer lite for example). It's good to learn on the free versions first so that you can really know if the paid versions are any better and what features you can do without.

@donli said:

There's free versions of software for most of the parts (including often free 'lite' versions of paid software - like Virtualizer lite for example). It's good to learn on the free versions first so that you can really know if the paid versions are any better and what features you can do without.

Thanks mate.

Will dig around to see what's required.