Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disk partition and space use into vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disk partition and space use into vps

azizbdazizbd Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hello,
I want to build vps on my dedicated server. But I'm little bit confusion about my current disk partition. My server is 3TBx2 with RAID1 and centOS6. Here is my Disk partition.

root@i726001 [~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/md2 1016G 16G 949G 2% / /dev/md1 496M 61M 410M 13% /boot /dev/md3 1.7T 41G 1.6T 3% /home /usr/tmpDSK 485M 62M 398M 14% /tmp

Can I install solusvm in this system? How much space will we use? 1016G of (/) or 1.7Tof (home).
Thank you,
Azizul Islam

Comments

• OpenVZ will store it's stuff in /vz by default

• @dmmcintyre3 said: OpenVZ will store it's stuff in /vz by default

How much space we can use? 1016 of (/) partition?

• How much does OpenVZ use? About 10-20mb and the kernel, how much are the users going to use is the question, and your current partitioning scheme, while not terrible, is far from optimal for hosting an OpenVZ node.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Openvz will store there all vm files so it really depend on how much space you plan to use for the vps.

• Ask for a temporary KVM and partition the drives the way you like them/need them for the type of virtualization you're going to use.

• ...and when you're new at VPS services, and you think "oh, 3gb for the / partition will be enough!"... it's not:

[root@diamond ~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1 2.7G 2.4G 187M 93% /
    /dev/sdb3 3.6T 311G 3.1T 10% /vz
    /dev/sda1 988M 117M 821M 13% /boot
    tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /dev/shm

Live and learn :)

• Actually I m new in VPS. Is there any paid services to provide A-to-Z for VPS, Such as installation of OS, partition, etc.

• @Damian said: dev/sda1 988M 117M 821M 13% /boot

Dude, what are you hording?

• sturdyvpssturdyvps Member
    edited February 2012

@azizbd There is quite a lot of information in Google that will help you start of.

If you have Linux knowledge this will help you.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you can't reinstall the box, you can jimmy rig things by symlinking /vz/ to /home/vz

What in the world are you storing in /boot though, that's a lot of kernels!

Francisco

• @mitgib , @Francisco: That was from our early days when I was un-breaking vswap. I tend to not delete my old kernels for some reason. I suppose I could probably delete them now, since that node is running a kernel I'm happy with.

/usr, /home, some of /var were moved to /vz too.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@damian - aaah, my comment was to the OP :)

Francisco