Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I looking for a unicorn?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am I looking for a unicorn?

I am looking for a VPS that meets the following criteria

• Located in US/CA/MX
  • Native IPv6
  • can announce my leased /48
  • KVM
  • Good latency to China (<200ms from US/CA West Coast, or <250ms from the Midwest)
  • Budget: 60 USD per year

Use case:
I am physically in the US and use mostly services commonly available in the US. Occasionally, I would need to access some services only available in China (geoblocked elsewhere). No gaming, no torrenting.

Does latency matter in my case? Do I really need providers that have CN2 GIA or GT?

Lastly, am I looking for a unicorn here?

Thanks folks.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

"Good latency to China" + "60 USD per year" is already pretty hard to find.

Native IPv6 to China that isn't basically singlehomed HE is even harder.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Latency does not matter in your case contrast to popular belief.

But nevertheless you are looking for a corn.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I am okay with using IPv4 to China, but native IPv6 to elsewhere is what I am looking for

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Keep looking for it.

I am sure you will find what you are looking for in 120 years or WW3 whichever comes first.

• @deank said:
    Keep looking for it.

I am sure you will find what you are looking for in 120 years or WW3 whichever comes first.

Ouch, it hurts

• If I was you - I would ask @anyNode if they have any available KVM machines in LV, with CN2. That might be your best bet. Not sure if they can fit you within that price-range though.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

How much RAM, Disk Space and Bandwidth/month are you looking at?

• @t0ny0 said:
    If I was you - I would ask @anyNode if they have any available KVM machines in LV, with CN2. That might be your best bet. Not sure if they can fit you within that price-range though.

I have asked... they don't have anything available at the moment.

• @SpeedBus said:
    How much RAM, Disk Space and Bandwidth/month are you looking at?

Not a lot, 512MB RAM, 10GB SSD, 500GB/mo @ 100Mbps will get me quite far as long as the requirements above are fulfilled.

• jhjh Member

The hard bit is the latency to China. You'll probably have to do a few hours research with looking glasses

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

I think our Fremont location would match your requirements (we're in Hurricane Electric Fremont 2 data center), just that we haven't completed the IPv6 rolling in Fremont yet.

See https://intovps.com/plans.html

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@freerangecloud has the IPv6 part of the equation, probably decent connection to China from Fremont (though dunno about CN2 etc)

• There seems no good China route solutions via IPv6, if you consider using IPv4 there may be more choice. (eg. bandwagon)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

Which provider in China? China Telecom/Mobile/Unicom?

I would try Vultr, they have NTT in many locations which is OK for China. Check with their looking glass, but Los Angeles is what I would try first.

They also do free BGP sessions and bring your own IPs.

• @lowendclient said:
    There seems no good China route solutions via IPv6, if you consider using IPv4 there may be more choice. (eg. bandwagon)

My situation is a little different (see OP). Usually people requesting good latency to China lives in China and wanted to access the internet beyond the GFW. I just wanted to access geoblocked services in China while living in the US. I am fine with limited IPv6 routes to China because my VPS in China is IPv4 only anyways.

I am using bandwagonhost right now and while it is great, they lacked native IPv6 support. That's why I am looking.

• @FHR said:
    Which provider in China? China Telecom/Mobile/Unicom?

I would try Vultr, they have NTT in many locations which is OK for China. Check with their looking glass, but Los Angeles is what I would try first.

They also do free BGP sessions and bring your own IPs.

My China VPS is located in China Mobile's network.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

China Mobile is difficult to get good peering to in the US. CN2 and CT is decently common, although if you want IPv6 to china I'd get clarification from the host that they support this.

Pretty much everyone with CN2/CT in their mix has some intelligent routing, most of the time this is V4 only and V6 is may be entirely ignored.

• Maybe I should move my China VPS to China Telecom eh?

• LeeLee Veteran

FFS, my hopes for this thread based on the title were high, but no...

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Reaching China Mobile is not that difficult honestly, anything with GTT or NTT should do well.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@intovps said:
    I think our Fremont location would match your requirements (we're in Hurricane Electric Fremont 2 data center), just that we haven't completed the IPv6 rolling in Fremont yet.

See https://intovps.com/plans.html

Do you have a looking glass?

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

I may be able to get close to doing this for you. 255 ms Phoenix to Shanghai? Native IPv6 as well.

• Real question here is how you got a VPS in China o-O

• Just shouting out to @Francisco from whom you could buy a slice. I know they have native IPv6 but not sure on the /48 announcement. I also know they have some special CN routes/options/addons as well. You'll definitely be in good hands if you can possibly handle the extra ~5-10ms due to being based out of Las Vegas instead of LA.

• @ehhthing said:
    Real question here is how you got a VPS in China o-O

There are a few vendors selling NAT.

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    I may be able to get close to doing this for you. 255 ms Phoenix to Shanghai? Native IPv6 as well.

The latency from my location to Phoenix is about 50ms and at least 50ms from Shanghai to where my VPS is located. Now you are seeing 355ms latency on a good day.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab

@sanvit said:

https://lg.he.net/ - choose "Hurricane Electric Fremont 2".

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@terrorgen said:
    I am using bandwagonhost right now and while it is great, they lacked native IPv6 support. That's why I am looking.

Then stay with them. IPv6 isn't worth the effort.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@intovps said:

@sanvit said:

https://lg.he.net/ - choose "Hurricane Electric Fremont 2".

I know HE's LG. But I need to test the throughput to my VM

@sanvit said:
    I know HE's LG. But I need to test the throughput to my VM

Place an order (without paying for it), PM me and I'll add you a $1 credit to create a VM and test.