Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why less people talking about EC2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why less people talking about EC2?

I think it's also LEB. for the small type ec2 instance, 61 USD per year with 1.7GB memory and 160 GB disk, even cheaper than most providers here. so why few people mentioned it here?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I did some calculation and is close to 300, where you got it for 61 ?

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited November 2013

Small ec2 is $ 0.060 / hour, which defintely is not $ 61 / year?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2013

$61/year is just the upfront price to reserve a light utilization instance, which reduces but doesn't eliminate the hourly cost. You still have to pay $.034/hour to run it (versus the unreserved $.06).

Add it up and running it 24/7 would cost a total of $358.84 per year, or $29.90/month.

You could bring it down to $291.64 by reserving a heavy utilization instance for $122 upfront and then paying $0.014/hr, but that's as low as you can get it without a three-year reservation.

Far from low-end territory, no matter how you do it.

Our low end instances in iwstack cost some 30 Eur a year if powered on 24/7.
    0.002/h for 384 MB ram, 1.5 GB transfer (outgoing only since incoming is free), 1 vcpu, KVM with own iso, fail-over, etc.
    Adding to this some 10 GB SAN storage, it is like 0.002+0.0015=0.35 CENTS/hour.
    This means some 30.66 Eur a year for 24/7 usage.
    So, presuming you didnt catch any promo, the initial 30 Eur allow you to run one VM the whole year with the freedom to install from whatever ISO you wish in a real cloud environment.
    Salvatore worked hard for 1 year to manage these prices, I dare say we are the lowest priced real IaaS platforms out there, real cloud, i exclude non-ha, non-fail-over, local storage offers branded as "cloud".

• why you got it for 61 ? I think EC2 is not cheap~

• @Dylan said:
    $61/year is just the upfront price to reserve a light utilization instance, which reduces but doesn't eliminate the hourly cost. You still have to pay $.034/hour to run it (versus the unreserved $.06).

Add it up and running it 24/7 would cost a total of $358.84 per year, or $29.90/month.

You could bring it down to $291.64 by reserving a heavy utilization instance for $122 upfront and then paying $0.014/hr, but that's as low as you can get it without a three-year reservation.

Far from low-end territory, no matter how you do it.

Sorry I have misunderstood it.
    I was thinking the total fee is 61 per year.
    Now IC it's only the cost for reserving a VPS by yearly.
    Thank you.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Much better deals to be had in the offers section of LowEndTalk--and frankly, much better performance as well.

@BrianHarrison said:
    Much better deals to be had in the offers section of LowEndTalk--and frankly, much better performance as well.

Yes, but apples and oranges. Very few people offer real cloud at leb prices.

• awsonawson Member
    edited November 2013

The only way to get an instance for under $7 is to launch a Micro spot instance and hope that the price doesn't change, but it's very risky.

Micro spot instances in US East are $0.004 now, which works out at $2.92/mo. You could do the same with Small instances, although the spot price is much more fluctuant.

• edited November 2013

Maounique said: Yes, but apples and oranges. Very few people offer real cloud at leb prices.

Well, while I don't say Evorack is "Cloud" in the sense of hourly billing, we use Xen (exclusively at present) which is what Amazon EC2 uses, so not as big a difference as Apples and Oranges. :)

We also don't use SolusVM where we pile the servers high and forget about them. We write our own management software so we know exactly what's going on, which I believe is similar to Amazon's methodology.

edited November 2013

So, what, I put up some cloudmin with xen IPv6 only for some backup plans on atoms, is this cloud ?
    https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=2
    By your definition, yes, while it does not have hourly billing, it is xen and does not use solus. It even has the word cloud in the management software. The only thing is that I didnt write it.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @Maounique, all I'm saying, is that the simple fact that something has the world "Cloud" in it doesn't make it Apples and Oranges difference from "non-Cloud" VPS :)

edited November 2013

Oh, but I think it does !
    Can your VPSes be fired by owner ? I mean can they create and destroy instances at will (scalability) ? Can they Increase the ram/CPU offering (scalability) ? You said you dont have hourly billing and it is obvious you dont need it since your cloud is not elastic.
    If the people shut down their instance, they get charged less, they can set up automated snapshots and create templates from them to deploy more instances as they need, can add more drives as they need, they can install from own iso as long as they can put it on the web, some place, we have fail-over and high availability, does your xen cluster have it ?
    A cloud is more expensive as we need to have place all the time for unexpected customer needs, we need to have redundancy in case a node fails, we need to police it better as IPs are getting passed from one customer to another all the time.
    You cannot compare the two as you cannot compare OVZ with KVM. Cloud/non-cloud are even more different.

Thanked by 2Dylan tchen