Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

godaddy stealing domains is over?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

godaddy stealing domains is over?

I had the bad luck to run out of credit card funds at the moment some of my godaddy domains expired, and after some times some company I don't remember the name of bough them and their price suddenly went from a couple usd to ~200usd, some even 2k usd..

I thought those domains were lost until today that I check them on namecheap and they are back, available at around 8 usd.. this happened with very old domains (>3years) and new ones (like, same thing but with domains registered early this year).

could there be some explanation to this? did they decide to stop monetizing abandoned domains? I'm glad I can buy my domains back but I always like to try find out why things happen, anyone got a hint on this?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Where does "Stealing" part comes in?

You failed to pay the bills and the domains were taken. Where is the steal part?

• vovlervovler Member

deank said: Where is the steal part?

Obviously when you stop paying rent and the landlord evicts you and rents it to someone else, he is stealing from you. That's common knowledge.

My advice: take them to court!

Thanked by 1jsg
  • donlidonli Member

If the domains are available it means no one thinks they are worth the small price to register them.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@vovler said:
    My advice: take them to court!

Manspreading, Manterrupting, Mansplaining

Thanked by 1vovler
  • YuraYura Member

@donli said:
    If the domains are available it means no one thinks they are worth the small price to register them.

A small price of $10.000 for a .org domain in a couple of years.

• I'm sorry for your loss

• Just make sure those credit cards have enough alkali metals next time.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2019

@gattytto said: could there be some explanation to this? did they decide to stop monetizing abandoned domains? I'm glad I can buy my domains back but I always like to try find out why things happen, anyone got a hint on this?

You didn't renew your domains in time; they tried for a while to sell them at a premium price; when no one was interested, they released the domains to the common pool.

No intrigue, as far as I can tell.

Thanked by 2kyawhtun2012 netomx
  • akrusakrus Member

I was lucky to get a domain from RegisterFly long time ago, they closed down, I was unable to renew domain and lost it. Now it's about 10 years after that date, out of two domains I had there, I got one back about 2-3 years ago, but another one is with GoDaddy and they are asking $1499 to get it back. Good that I don't need it anymore (and it was never actually used as we didn't launch the service).

• ITLabsITLabs Member

A victim of .com reset :hushed:

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@ITLabs said:
    A victim of .com reset :hushed:

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • I am sorry to have done this to you. We of the Yeti Assassins commonly snipe these domains and they hold them hostage. Why you may ask? Well because we can and it makes people's lives miserable.

We are deeply sorry for any trouble this may have caused you, but you know we all have the right to be assholes.

Moral of the story pay for your shit and shit won't happen.

Thanked by 2ITLabs pluush
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2019

gattytto said: bough them

Nobody buys and owns domains.
    It's a lease.
    If you don't extend your lease, they come and take away 'yours' (which is not, not even when paid) leased stuff. Since it's leased and not owned.

But even if you own stuff, whenever you make bills and don't pay them, people come and take away your stuff.
    If you can't pay them, they take from whatever you earn in future, they might as well put you in jail, force you to do community work and even shove sausages up... I digress.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2019

One of those threads where op tries to wine, but receives a hard troll slap and never responds... Love it.

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

I had the bad luck to run out of credit card funds at the moment

How does a credit card "run out of funds" when it is CREDIT? Either a debit card or or the credit card account was maxed out or suspended. Maybe the OP has bigger issues to deal with than "godaddy stealing domains."

The title should have been "too broke to auto renew domains"