Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Double Bandwidth Guarantee no longer Guaranteed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Double Bandwidth Guarantee no longer Guaranteed?

Smith42Smith42 Member
edited July 2019 in Providers

So I noticed today I no longer have 1Gbit guaranteed upload on any of my EG, DO or old Enterprise range dedicated servers. Support says even though the servers were upgraded to 1Gbit, they only guarantee 500Mbit and it is 1Gbit best effort. I know for a fact I've had 1Gbit guaranteed outgoing since February on my servers, despite the burst being locked.

Sometime during the end of June they added a new Fair Use policy to their FAQ: https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/faq.xml (End of Page)

So if you buy a EG-16 right now, on the order page it will still say 1000Mbps Guaranteed Bandwidth but support said from here on out it isn't guaranteed. What has me dumbfounded is that they applied this new best effort policy to all the existing servers as well. Nothing has changed on my OVH panel, I still have 1Gbit outgoing bandwidth but support said to pay for the additional bandwidth if I need a guarantee.

Maybe @ninzo59 can explain what's really going on? Why double the bandwidth if only 500Mbit is going to be guaranteed. At this point, its just back to being burst bandwidth. If servers were upgraded from 500Mbit to 1Gbit, why downgrade them again? OVH panel still show 1Gbit, but support says that is 1Gbit Best Effort and not 1Gbit Guaranteed.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
  • sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited July 2019

From FAQ

Traffic is unlimited for bare-metal servers. However, since the network resources are shared between our customers, the bandwidth (for customers who have not signed up to the guaranteed bandwidth option) is subject to a fair usage rule. To guarantee the very best service for all of our customers, OVH reserves the right to limit a service's outgoing public bandwidth by up to 50% if it negatively affects network quality for other customers.

They basically just undid the Double Bandwidth upgrade with that new policy LMAO

• Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

@deank said:
    Leave OVH.

Well I really like OVH, but my head is literally spinning seeing how they've handled this. Any input from @ninzo59 would be great, maybe he knows what's going on and if existing servers should be affected or not.

• Now I'm glad they didn't even respond to my account validation inquiry.

• If they have changed what you have purchased when signing the contract and accepting their terms, they either need to abide by it or refund the product.

• https://www.online.net/en
    Switch to their competitor?

• @ninzo59 yes would be nice to get some clarification about this.

• Oh wow, that's super shitty of OVH if they changed their policy. Toting the double bandwidth upgrade for months and delay after delay when it finally arrives, it's for a few fucking months. Lol.

• Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited July 2019

@PirateHitman said:
    If they have changed what you have purchased when signing the contract and accepting their terms, they either need to abide by it or refund the product.

So far their stance has been that even though the OVH panel states 1Gbit outgoing, it doesn't state "Guaranteed". So it is assumed to be Best-Effort and if I need guaranteed bandwidth I need to purchase the $103/month additional bandwidth guarantee from them.

I'm hoping @ninzo59 can give us a bit more clarity and if possible, help lobby for keeping the double bandwidth intact on existing serves or ones bought before July 2019. I'm not a 300TB per month user, more like 30-40TB, for which burst isn't enough and paying extra for a bandwidth guarantee is pointless. And ideally I don't think existing or pre-existing offers should be affected by new policies.

• Although most users will never use the bandwidth to it's full potential, it's almost a habit from ovh to do such thing, just like refusing to price match active products when they reduce prices

Probably nothing to do unfortunately

• williewillie Member

jiiikoo said: Oh wow, that's super shitty of OVH if they changed their policy.

I suspect they only documented what they were already doing in reality, so nothing has actually changed. People here have completely stupid expectations. Online.net has always throttled connections of excessive users unless you bought the expensive bandwidth package, which they no longer even offer.

Thanked by 1commercial
  • @willie said:

jiiikoo said: Oh wow, that's super shitty of OVH if they changed their policy.

I suspect they only documented what they were already doing in reality, so nothing has actually changed. People here have completely stupid expectations. Online.net has always throttled connections of excessive users unless you bought the expensive bandwidth package, which they no longer even offer.

All the while Hetzner has a unmetered 1Gbit and way cheaper prices. And you say "stupid expectations"...

• sunnygsunnyg Member

There's nothing you can do, this is very typical of OVH. You won't see @ninzo59 here for a while either. They limited my servers back to 500Mbit guaranteed as well, and they said the 1Gbit outgoing bandwidth shown in the account is the Burst value. So OVH has back tracked from the double bandwidth agreement and we're basically back to where we started before the bandwidth was doubled. I can confirm for the last 4-5 months all my OVH servers had full 1Gbit outgoing and I was pushing 50-100TB traffic on each at full speeds.

Just open a ticket, cite you feel misrepresented by this change, and ask for a refund if you've already made a payment for this month on the 1st. Go to Hetzner, and make the most of their unmetered package till they do a 180 too (which they will eventually). For the last 4 months I've pushed over 800TB traffic on one of my hetzner servers with no repercussions.

• williewillie Member

jiiikoo said: All the while Hetzner has a unmetered 1Gbit and way cheaper prices. And you say "stupid expectations"...

Same person showed same stupid expectations by opening a similar thread directed at Hetzner, asking whether Hetzner guaranteed bandwidth. No it doesn't, and person doesn't show understanding of what guaranteed bw actually means. Meh.

• williewillie Member

sunnyg said: Go to Hetzner, and make the most of their unmetered package till they do a 180 too (which they will eventually). For the last 4 months I've pushed over 800TB traffic on one of my hetzner servers with no repercussions.

I think you mean: until people like you ruin it for everyone.

• donlidonli Member

@sunnyg said:

I've pushed over 800TB traffic on one of my hetzner servers with no repercussions.

It's all fun and games until everyone starts doing it.

• Even the double bandwidth thing was not implemented on my dedis, even after asking for and getting my account info. So, no surprise for me.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited July 2019

i dunno what to write.
    And my mom told me, if you dunno what to suggest for dedi servers or VPS, suggest hetzner

Also, about OVH, they always had 250 mbit/s and 500mbit/s, I do not remember in budget price range anything above this, even in the enterprice level (I can be wrong).

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Vote with your wallet!

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

Hello.

The bandwidth has increased from 500mbits to 1gbps and the burst has been removed.

Before the "double bandwidth" your bandwidth was garantueed, but that's not the case anymore on "old ranges" such as EG,SP,DO...

The 1Gbps Bandwdith is the theorical allocated bandwidth and not guaranteed. Meaning your speed is various and depending on many elements.

On the other hand it is not indicated anywhere that it is guaranteed: https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/infra/1901eg01.xml)

Hope that helped a bit,

ninzo

Thanked by 3Smith42 ITLabs FHR
  • @ninzo59 said:
    Hello.

The bandwidth has increased from 500mbits to 1gbps and the burst has been removed.

Before the "double bandwidth" your bandwidth was garantueed, but that's not the case anymore on "old ranges" such as EG,SP,DO...

The 1Gbps Bandwdith is the theorical allocated bandwidth and not guaranteed. Meaning your speed is various and depending on many elements.

On the other hand it is not indicated anywhere that it is guaranteed: https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/infra/1901eg01.xml)

Hope that helped a bit,

ninzo

So if I were to get a Advance-1, that would have a guaranteed 1Gbit? You say it's not guaranteed on "old ranges" but does that mean it is on new ranges, such as the Advance-1?

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited July 2019

@jiiikoo said:

So if I were to get a Advance-1, that would have a guaranteed 1Gbit? You say it's not guaranteed on "old ranges" but does that mean it is on new ranges, such as the Advance-1?

No you'll still get screwed over by the Burst. They're just saying Burst is disabled, but its really not. One you use up your burst, you're back to 500Mbit. When you'll complain they will hit you with the Fair use policy in the FAQ and tell you to buy the upgrade.

@ninzo59 said:

Hope that helped a bit,

ninzo

If you click on Order and go one page further, you will see it. "1000Mbps of Guaranteed Bandwidth" https://i.imgur.com/2itPEJ3.png

Same for DO (Discovery) Range: https://i.imgur.com/em2N97I.png

Besides, you should make your clients aware of the Best Effort Bandwidth on the website with a *

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2019

@ninzo59 said:

Sorry Ninzo but thats BS:

Traffic 1000Mbps of guaranteed bandwidth Included

So, please clarify how OVH is legally able to limit BW even though it has been ordered, confirmed and payed as "unmetered and guaranteed 1000 Mbit"

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jiiikoo said:

On the Advance line upload is capped at 500Mbps unless the higher bandwidth is paid for. You can get up to 5Gbps download from my experience though.

• Electr0man said: 5:07PM FlagThanks

@sunnyg said:

Just open a ticket, cite you feel misrepresented by this change, and ask for a refund if you've already made a payment for this month on the 1st. Go to Hetzner, and make the most of their unmetered package till they do a 180 too (which they will eventually). For the last 4 months I've pushed over 800TB traffic on one of my hetzner servers with no repercussions.

I think these things happens because there are people like you

• @MikeA said:

@jiiikoo said:

On the Advance line upload is capped at 500Mbps unless the higher bandwidth is paid for. You can get up to 5Gbps download from my experience though.

Oh. Didn't see that on the order page. Hmm.

@fLoo said:

@ninzo59 said:

So, please clarify how OVH is legally able to limit BW even though it has been ordered, confirmed and payed as "unmetered and guaranteed 1000 Mbit"

Hello.

Thanks for your feedback, we saw that we didn't update all the OVH websites. The guaranteed should have been removed everywhere. We are really sorry about it and we will fix it ASAP.

Of course if you want to be refunded because of this, please feel free to PM me.

ninzo

• sunnygsunnyg Member

@ninzo59 said:

@fLoo said:

@ninzo59 said:

Hello.

Thanks for your feedback, we saw that we didn't update all the OVH websites. The guaranteed should have been removed everywhere. We are really sorry about it and we will fix it ASAP.

Of course if you want to be refunded because of this, please feel free to PM me.

ninzo

What of the servers that have been bought since Feb/Mar this year? I had 1000Mbps guaranteed outgoing since Feb which got limited some time in June without any notice or warning. Is refund only available for the latest renewal?

@sunnyg said:

@ninzo59 said:

@fLoo said:

@ninzo59 said:

Hello.

ninzo

What of the servers that have been bought since Feb/Mar this year? I had 1000Mbps guaranteed outgoing since Feb which got limited some time in June without any notice or warning. Is refund only available for the latest renewal?

There is no particular change made on june. It's not guaranteed, but you can have 1 Gbps 95% of time..

Thanked by 1vimalware