Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel alternative for reseller - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel alternative for reseller

2»

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@yokowasis said:

@Harambe said:
    @willie @yokowasis The fork is where it's at, just sayin' - https://hestiacp.com

the fork doesn't have support for softaculous or any auto installer for that matter. That makes it not suitable for commercial hosting. Just saying.

VestaCP / HestiaCP itself is lack of decent file manager. that's where softaculous comes comes in handy in installing extplorer.

Wouldn't you be able to just use any file manager from awesome self hosted and add it to hestia/have your clients use it with ftp credentials.

• williewillie Member

Ympker said: HestiaCP

Thanks, I'll look at HestiaCP too. The scriptaculous integration in VestaCP didn't look complicated fwiw. Maybe it could be ported to HestiaCP.

If I were involved in a fork I'd consider writing a python wrapper around the shell scripts, so that the scripts could be run remotely by ansible instead of having to be installed on the target system. That would eliminate the target install completely, and allow controlling 100s of VPS from a single master.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@yokowasis said:

@Harambe said:
    @willie @yokowasis The fork is where it's at, just sayin' - https://hestiacp.com

the fork doesn't have support for softaculous or any auto installer for that matter. That makes it not suitable for commercial hosting. Just saying.

VestaCP / HestiaCP itself is lack of decent file manager. that's where softaculous comes comes in handy in installing extplorer.

Wouldn't you be able to just use any file manager from awesome self hosted and add it to hestia/have your clients use it with ftp credentials.

Adding file manager is the least of my concern. True, I can add it like you said. The real deal breaker for me is the absence of softaculous. Or any auto installer for that matter. Do you really expect your client to download ftp client, download WordPress, upload it, creating database, run the installer, and so on and so forth? And what if they want to create let's say 10 WordPress installation? Panel without auto installer of some sort is not worth using in commercial environment. I even make my own WordPress installer back in the day before they implement softaculous.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @willie said:

Ympker said: HestiaCP

Thanks, I'll look at HestiaCP too. The scriptaculous integration in VestaCP didn't look complicated fwiw. Maybe it could be ported to HestiaCP.

If I were involved in a fork I'd consider writing a python wrapper around the shell scripts, so that the scripts could be run remotely by ansible instead of having to be installed on the target system. That would eliminate the target install completely, and allow controlling 100s of VPS from a single master.

It's not about can or can not. Easy or hard. They already stated they WILL NOT adding softaculous, because they don't want any encrypted code in their panel.

• williewillie Member

Oh I see, yeah that makes sense. I didn't understand the issue. I wonder how difficult softaculous really is. Figure out the installation and dependency quirks for some package and write a script, not too bad. Do same thing for 500 other packages, could get tedious. Hmm.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@yokowasis said:

@Ympker said:

@yokowasis said:

@Harambe said:

Adding file manager is the least of my concern. True, I can add it like you said. The real deal breaker for me is the absence of softaculous. Or any auto installer for that matter. Do you really expect your client to download ftp client, download WordPress, upload it, creating database, run the installer, and so on and so forth? And what if they want to create let's say 10 WordPress installation? Panel without auto installer of some sort is not worth using in commercial environment. I even make my own WordPress installer back in the day before they implement softaculous.

Ah gotcha! :)

• williewillie Member

There are many other installers out there. I know DO, Scaleway, Vultr, etc. all have them. I don't know if any are FOSS but maybe some are. This stuff reminds me of Windows though and I'm not too enthusiastic about messing with it.

Is Litespeed really $45/month? Per server? That seems like more of an opportunity.

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:
    There are many other installers out there. I know DO, Scaleway, Vultr, etc. all have them. I don't know if any are FOSS but maybe some are. This stuff reminds me of Windows though and I'm not too enthusiastic about messing with it.

Is Litespeed really $45/month? Per server? That seems like more of an opportunity.

Depends on the version (free for only 1 domain and 2gb memory):
    https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server/lsws-pricing

For free there's Nginx or Open LiteSpeed in addition to Apache.

• williewillie Member

Yeah I mean the pay version, and wow, the one that big hosting servers would use is crazy expensive. What the heck does it do? It's yet another httpd that reads apache config files but uses an async model like nginx, anything else?

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    Yeah I mean the pay version, and wow, the one that big hosting servers would use is crazy expensive.

Being Elite costs.

What the heck does it do?

What it does it does fast which is its primary selling point:
    https://www.litespeedtech.com/benchmarks

It's also easier to setup than Nginx (which I could never get to work with python scripts - Nginx support couldn't point me to instructions on how to get python working with Nginx either).

• williewillie Member

Which of those benchmarks is important? It looks like they have a slightly improved wordpress cache plugin compared to apache, and most of the gain comes from the concurrency model (I'm more familiar with apache than nginx). Anyway given how cheap hardware is, and how raw requests/sec don't really matter that much with services dominated by app overhead and database operations, is the speedup really worth the license fees? The premium version costs as much as a couple of nice dedis...

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    Which of those benchmarks is important? It looks like they have a slightly improved wordpress cache plugin compared to apache, and most of the gain comes from the concurrency model (I'm more familiar with apache than nginx). Anyway given how cheap hardware is, and how raw requests/sec don't really matter that much with services dominated by app overhead and database operations, is the speedup really worth the license fees? The premium version costs as much as a couple of nice dedis...

Ask a provider like @Francisco why they chose a paid solution like LiteSpeed Web Server Enterprise.

• williewillie Member

The main thing I heard was that the enterprise version reads apache config files and the free version doesn't. There are other differences but I don't know which are important.