Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Pick for PLEX server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Pick for PLEX server

Hi, i want to Pick Storage server to run Plex server. (quickbox as media server deploy kit )

Minimum requirements
1) 500 GB Storage
2) Good Processor to Transcode 1X1080P video
3) 1GB RAM

What is my best option from these servers.
https://www.lowendstorage.win/ (let me know you know better service service provider )

Cheers!

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Probably none of them, those deals are not for transcoding and I suspect you will be shown the door by sucking the life out of the cpu.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

transcode + not being a dick = get a dedicated server.

harsh? yes, true? yes.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2019

If you want to transcode, you probably want a dedicated host. There should be some offers coming out for the 4th of July. Just google the CPU +passmark, you generally want 2000 passmark per 1080 transcode.

BuyVM lists E3 dedicated cores at 3.5ghz, which is likely something like an E3-1241v3, with a passmark score of 2255 per core, or one 1080p transcode per core.

You'll want to decide how many peak transcodes you want, and buy based on that. A dual E5-2670 (the hypervisors we generally run) have a passmark of 18000, or 9 1080p transcodes when all cores are in use. We have a couple customers running similar colo or dedicated hosts for 3-6 transcodes. A mid-grade E3 can be found with 8000-10000 passmark (4-5 transcodes) for under $100/m.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • pikepike Veteran

Go with a provider that advertises dedicated CPU cores or get a dedicated server.

• @Lee said:
    Probably none of them, those deals are not for transcoding and I suspect you will be shown the door by sucking the life out of the cpu.

figured that out. ANy suggestions on dedi server ?
    i was planning to buy cheap storage server since i rarely use PLEX,But i need to play 1080P video smoothly when i use PLEX. Currently i'm using Time4VPS 2TB Storage plan as a seedbox and installed plex on the server (quickbox). i was thinking about ways to improve/get a smoother video quality from my seedbox.

@IonSwitch_Stan said:
    If you want to transcode, you probably want a dedicated host. There should be some offers coming out for the 4th of July. Just google the CPU +passmark, you generally want 2000 passmark per 1080 transcode.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Thanks for the info, i will wait for the offers !

• LeeLee Veteran

depends on location but kimsufi is your best bet.

• StyxStyx Member

Hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @AnthonySmith said:

harsh? yes, true? yes.

should i buy dedi server for Plex ? FYI: monthly usage will be 2-4 movies --> Avg 8H of playback. Should i go for that ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

djchamike said: should i buy dedi server for Plex ? FYI: monthly usage will be 2-4 movies --> Avg 8H of playback. Should i go for that ?

yeah a cheapo one.

• LeeLee Veteran

What's your budget? I mean you could get a seedbox and plex all in one with plenty of storage for the price of a budget server and save yourself the hassle.

• @Lee said:
    depends on location but kimsufi is your best bet.

will check it

@Styx said:
    Hetzner.

wow, thanks life server

@AnthonySmith said:

djchamike said: should i buy dedi server for Plex ? FYI: monthly usage will be 2-4 movies --> Avg 8H of playback. Should i go for that ?

yeah a cheapo one.

cheap dedi lol , Thanks

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Any old piece of shit with a 1.5-2k passmark will be fine.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

Nekki said: Any old piece of shit with a 1.5-2k passmark will be fine.

Torquay let you go then? Probably not allowed back...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:

Nekki said: Any old piece of shit with a 1.5-2k passmark will be fine.

Torquay let you go then? Probably not allowed back...

Fully banned from an entire hotel chain now. Apparently it’s not OK to defecate in the bath just because you also do it at home.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: Apparently it’s not OK to defecate in the bath

Manager a millennial?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:

Nekki said: Apparently it’s not OK to defecate in the bath

Manager a millennial?

Millennial AND a woman.

What is this country coming to. Brexit can’t come soon enough.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • marvelmarvel Member

@djchamike said:

@AnthonySmith said:

harsh? yes, true? yes.

should i buy dedi server for Plex ? FYI: monthly usage will be 2-4 movies --> Avg 8H of playback. Should i go for that ?

If that's it then no I wouldn't. I would just rent a vps or seedbox, something like this:

https://seedstorm.com/metered-seedbox-plans.php

Depends on your budget though. I have a plex server running as well and soon went out of control. Now I have colo with 50 TB ;)

• Kimsufi; wait for an i3 flash sale or something

• edited July 2019

KS-7 available right now in Canada with i3-2130 (passmark of 4000+, which is two concurrent 1080p transcodes), $17.99 /mo.
    OR
    KS-6 available right now in France is i5-750 (passmark of ~3700, which is one 1080p transcode + one 720p transcode), $17.99/mo

Both with unmetered 100Mbps bandwidth and 2TB disk.

Edit: If it was me, I'd just get a $5/mo 1TB slab from BuyVM with a $2/mo slice, run plex, and spend a one time $30 on a Roku and direct play all the x264 1080p media I want. Long run that'll be far cheaper.

Thanked by 1djchamike
  • @rajprakash said:
    KS-7 available right now in Canada with i3-2130 (passmark of 4000+, which is two concurrent 1080p transcodes), $17.99 /mo.
    OR
    KS-6 available right now in France is i5-750 (passmark of ~3700, which is one 1080p transcode + one 720p transcode), $17.99/mo

Both with unmetered 100Mbps bandwidth and 2TB disk.

Edit: If it was me, I'd just get a $5/mo 1TB slab from BuyVM with a $2/mo slice, run plex, and spend a one time $30 on a Roku and direct play all the x264 1080p media I want. Long run that'll be far cheaper.

i do not mind spending $ on roku , But i have smart tv(s) and smart devices. no point of buying ROKU r8 ? Orelse what is the point of it ?

BEst answer so far :) , thanks mate !

@caracal said:
    Kimsufi; wait for an i3 flash sale or something

yay ! waiting

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Relying on a Roku is fine so long as you know your files will never need transcoding. That approach may be cheaper month-to-month but gives you a lot less flexibility.

• djchamike said: yay ! waiting

If you have Kodi on your smart tv just grab KS-3 for 8€/m with 2TB. Kodi have direct stream so you wont need transcoding and you wont need Roku. I have that one from last flash sale for 6€/m and use it for plex on kodi direct stream. Works wonderfull.

Thanked by 2dosai djchamike
  • @emperor said:

djchamike said: yay ! waiting

If you have Kodi on your smart tv just grab KS-3 for 8€/m with 2TB. Kodi have direct stream so you wont need transcoding and you wont need Roku. I have that one from last flash sale for 6€/m and use it for plex on kodi direct stream. Works wonderfull.

thanks for the info, looking into it :)