Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minio Object Server feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minio Object Server feedback

Anyone using Minio object storage for personal or business? I have been testing it locally in distributed mode with a 3 server setup and after about 2 months, it seems ok. I would like to implement it online to about 250GB per server, but first looking for both good - and bad feedback.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

For a test period of a product that never went to production, I used a minio cluster to store remote docker volumes. It was nothing short of perfect for several months, and I would definitely do it again.

Thanked by 2vimalware luissousa
  • @jar
    Thanks for the info. I have using minio along with rclone to archive photos and (so far), it too has been perfect.

• sanvitsanvit Member

I once uploaded about 300GB of files on minio, and it itself worked great, but some files returned an error when uploading. It worked when uploading directly to S3 so I suspect minio to be the problem (i used rclone to upload). Other then that, I really like minio

• Minio I use all the time and works great.

Cons:

1) No way to auto-update
    2) Docs really suck
    3) I couldn't get the SSL to work so I had to use NGINX to proxy connections... WTF
    4) I tried to update to newest version manually, minio wouldn't start with old config file and I don't feel like investing the hours to figure out why not, so I just use an old version

It's pretty awesome once u get it set up and better than way better than AWS pricing since Minio is free and you are only limited by whatever storage box u can find/negotiate. It's a no brainer if you are looking for S3 compatibility

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Working well with S3 compatible SDKs on distributed setup.

Cons:

• single SECRET/ACCESSKEY implementation
    • some bugs to display proper disk utilization
    • policy (eg public access url) aren't well defined

Also had some experiment like uploading in minio but download via ngnix as the files are flat in the storage.

Just for 250GB if you are aiming to do distributed. Why don't u consider b2 or DO as well?

• akhfaakhfa Member

@mrclown said:
    Cons:

This is intended by their implementation design. Just launch another minio instance for another user

• Does minio auto update on cloudron?
    Im thinking of using cloudron free tier for minio.

Fire and forget solution?

• @akhfa said:

@mrclown said:
    Cons:

This is intended by their implementation design. Just launch another minio instance for another user

Of cuz but still single instance will be just 1 user
    creating another instance isn't so meaningful when limited resources in VPS.