Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsecured Wifi Connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unsecured Wifi Connection

nonenone Member

Kinda in a conundrum right now.

In my previous residence, my internet connection was using cable with modem that I control completely, but in my current residence I access the internet via wifi. It's a non issue most of the times since I'm using VPN.

Problem is, I can't use VPN when purchasing VPS. It isn't an issue with netcup and OVH since I have accounts there prior to me changing my residence. Now I wanna try Hetzner but feel uncomfortable using my card or paypal on unsecured Wifi network without VPN.

Thoughts?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

none said: Now I wanna try Hetzner but feel uncomfortable using my card or paypal on unsecured Wifi network without VPN.

Everything related to signing up, paying or ordering is on HTTPS these days, so "unsecured wifi" absolutely does not matter.

• nonenone Member

@rm_ said:
    Everything related to signing up, paying or ordering is on HTTPS these days, so "unsecured wifi" absolutely does not matter.

So it's safe to order from an unsecured network because of the HTTPS?
    Just want to make sure I understand your point.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

none said: So it's safe to order from an unsecured network because of the HTTPS?

Yes it should be, just check the site URL carefully (that you didn't get redirected somewhere else via DNS).

Thanked by 1none
  • level6level6 Member

Relatively safe over HTTPS, but I'd use a phone as a hotspot.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You can always do this:

1) Disconnect from VPN.
    2) Place the order.
    3) Reconnect to VPN.
    4) Pay the invoice.

Most places will keep an invoice active after you logout so you just need to be disconnected from your VPN during the order process, then reconnect to pay.

Thanked by 1none