Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner SB26 or SB25 or SB 24 | E3 1246v3 or i7 3770
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner SB26 or SB25 or SB 24 | E3 1246v3 or i7 3770

ShihabSoftShihabSoft Member
edited June 2019 in Help

Hi guys,

I am little bit confused here, please help me to decide which one to choose.

Specs are

SB 26
E3 1246v3
32GB Ram DDR3
2x2TB Ent HDD
1Gbps unlimited
1 IP
26.89 euro

SB 25
i7 3770
32GB Ram
2x2 TB Ent HDD
1Gbps unlimited
1 IP
25.21 euro

Also as the cheapest one

SB 24
i7 3770
16GB Ram
2x3 TB Ent HDD
1Gbps unlimited
1 IP
24.37 euro

Any of them would work for me, but which to prefer according to your experience regarding performance, mainly CPU.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2019
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Do you need the 3TB storage, or is 2 enough? Is the E3 ECC RAM? If so I'd probably go with that

@Mr_Tom said:
    Do you need the 3TB storage, or is 2 enough? Is the E3 ECC RAM? If so I'd probably go with that

Hetzners Xeon's do not always include ECC.

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • That sounds like a good deal. Thanks for commenting!

Neoon said: Hetzners Xeon's do not always include ECC

No. If it does, I'd go with that one. If not, one of the i7s is ideal. I've got one of each (i7-950 and an E3) from Hetzner and both work well.

• @Mr_Tom said:

2 or 3 doesn't matter, mainly the CPU performance in the long run. Also the disk performance, but we can't know the disk speed before ordering it. No it's not ECC. Thanks for commenting!

• williewillie Member

The E3 1246v3 will be a little faster than the i7-3770 but not by much. The passmark ratings are pretty accurate IME. Yeah for some reason the 1246's don't have ECC. I'd get one with ECC if you're computing a lot: they have 1245v2's with it. Otherwise I'd get the i7-3770 because of the 3TB drives.

The SB24,25,26 aren't model numbers, they're just the prices in euros. They change as the auction prices change.

• @willie said:
    The E3 1246v3 will be a little faster than the i7-3770 but not by much. The passmark ratings are pretty accurate IME. Yeah for some reason the 1246's don't have ECC. I'd get one with ECC if you're computing a lot: they have 1245v2's with it. Otherwise I'd get the i7-3770 because of the 3TB drives.

The SB24,25,26 aren't model numbers, they're just the prices in euros. They change as the auction prices change.

Thanks for your comment.

What about i7 4770 is it superior than the above two in performance? And yes ECC is not much important, as am not gonna host any data critical projects.

@ShihabSoft said:

@willie said:

Thanks for your comment.

What about i7 4770 is it superior than the above two in performance? And yes ECC is not much important, as am not gonna host any data critical projects.

i7 4770 has the best benchmark of all of these, watch the screenshot I linked above.

• @Neoon said:

@ShihabSoft said:

@willie said:

Thanks for your comment.

i7 4770 has the best benchmark of all of these, watch the screenshot I linked above.

Can we see any real world performance difference among the three? I apologize if am overwhelming with questions.

@ShihabSoft said:
    Can we see any real world performance difference among the three? I apologize if am overwhelming with questions.

Depends on what you wanna use it for.
    The i7 has good single core performance, so works well for multi or single threaded workloads.

• @Neoon said:

@ShihabSoft said:

Depends on what you wanna use it for.
    The i7 has good single core performance, so works well for multi or single threaded workloads.

Thank you. Will go for the i7 4770 then. Thank you all for helping out guys. Much appreciated!

• williewillie Member

ShihabSoft said: What about i7 4770 is it superior than the above two in performance?

It is a 4rd generation processor like the e3-1246v3. i7-3770 and e3-1245v2 are 3nd generation and i7-2600 and e3-1245v1 are 2nd gen. They make architecture improvements between generations. Xeon is usually 1 generation behind i7 so they can get more of the bugs out.

• @willie said:

ShihabSoft said: What about i7 4770 is it superior than the above two in performance?

It is a 4rd generation processor like the e3-1246v3. i7-3770 and e3-1245v2 are 3nd generation and i7-2600 and e3-1245v1 are 2nd gen. They make architecture improvements between generations. Xeon is usually 1 generation behind i7 so they can get more of the bugs out.

Thanks bro. I ordered the i7 4770 anyway

Btw I've a question to everyone, my smartctl scan shows that the drive has been around for around 41k hours which is almost 4 years plus.

And the disk read speeds am getting is very slow and the same goes to random write speeds.

Should I alert Hetzner for a hard drive replacement?

Not sure if I should make another thread for this.

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2019

Hetzner will not replace a disk drive just because it is old. 4 years is not too bad for that situation. The whole point of the server auction is that it lets them keep getting some revenue from old equipment as long as it still works. If the drive is showing errors that is another matter.

What disk read speeds are you seeing? Don't expect too much. Hard drives are slow compared with SSD's. They are for bulk storage and you can almost think of them as tape drives.

Thanked by 1vimalware

My E3 from Hetzner has 3TB drives with around 62k hours each - they do about 80MB/s in testing which seems about right compared with other HDD's I'v tested.

One of them went through a phase of generating smart errors, but would then "reset" the error value and be fine. This has gone away and they're still chugging on.

They're auction servers because they've been used. If you can prove the drive is failing Hetzner will change it, but not on hours alone.

• Them Hitachis just don't die. :👍

• @willie said:
    Hetzner will not replace a disk drive just because it is old. 4 years is not too bad for that situation. The whole point of the server auction is that it lets them keep getting some revenue from old equipment as long as it still works. If the drive is showing errors that is another matter.

What disk read speeds are you seeing? Don't expect too much. Hard drives are slow compared with SSD's. They are for bulk storage and you can almost think of them as tape drives.

Is it good?

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 159.2 us / 732.0 us / 52.2 ms / 1.72 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 3.42 k requests in 5.00 s, 854 MiB, 683 iops, 170.8 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 147.82 MiB/s
    2nd run: 148.77 MiB/s
    3rd run: 156.40 MiB/s
    average: 151.00 MiB/s

• williewillie Member

Yes, those numbers are fine.

• How about combine with ssd? Anyone have test it?