Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail Server: using shared hosting OR mail hosting. Cheapest solution - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail Server: using shared hosting OR mail hosting. Cheapest solution

2»

Comments

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited July 2019

@jar said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:
    It would be awesome if @jar could open up their outbound relay as a MailChannels alternative. I've had really good deliverablility from their relays (even better than MailChannels themsekves).

Idk I'm a little annoyed that it was marketed as mail channels relay previously and now no longer is without notice.

afaik they use their own relay, but if it fails it will fall back to MailChannels. @jar please confirm.
    Personally though, I had better delivery with MXroute than any other email relays such as SES and MailChannels, with Postmark being the only exception (having around the same deliverability).

I've had one email provider that bounced on Mxroute relay and it didn't fail over to mail channels. Just bounced back with a failed send and noted the mxrelay. Ended up using gmail with send as and that worked.

I'd submit a ticket and forward the failed email info but on ya i have no way of sending a legitimate support ticket and I don't want to share such info on a public format.

Feel free to ask me for a refund since you'd rather post publicly here to complain about not wanting to talk to me in a public venue (where you can private message me all the same).

Were customers discussing mxroutes usage of their own relay after initially marketing it as a mail channels relay. Additionally I've had mxroutes relay fail a delivery and not fail over to mail channels. Seems like something that's right up the ally of discussion here on LET.

I've read all your points about removing support tickets. Their valid, but I still think we need a secure way to communicate via the site imo. Email is by its nature full of fairly private details.

Lastly Private messaging on LET for support issues is in bad taste IMO. I doubt most providers would appreciate their inbox here full of such things. That'd be like someone bringing their car to the local bar and asking a mechanic to look at it while their hanging out with their friends. Just seems impolite to me and didn't cross my mind. With that said I also prefer to keep my ability to speak freely here Separate from my provider.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2019

@sureiam said:

@jar said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:
    It would be awesome if @jar could open up their outbound relay as a MailChannels alternative. I've had really good deliverablility from their relays (even better than MailChannels themsekves).

Idk I'm a little annoyed that it was marketed as mail channels relay previously and now no longer is without notice.

afaik they use their own relay, but if it fails it will fall back to MailChannels. @jar please confirm.
    Personally though, I had better delivery with MXroute than any other email relays such as SES and MailChannels, with Postmark being the only exception (having around the same deliverability).

I've had one email provider that bounced on Mxroute relay and it didn't fail over to mail channels. Just bounced back with a failed send and noted the mxrelay. Ended up using gmail with send as and that worked.

I'd submit a ticket and forward the failed email info but on ya i have no way of sending a legitimate support ticket and I don't want to share such info on a public format.

Feel free to ask me for a refund since you'd rather post publicly here to complain about not wanting to talk to me in a public venue (where you can private message me all the same).

Were customers discussing mxroutes usage of their own relay after initially marketing it as a mail channels relay. Additionally I've had mxroutes relay fail a delivery and not fail over to mail channels. Seems like something that's right up the ally of discussion here on LET.

I've read all your points about removing support tickets. Their valid, but I still think we need a secure way to communicate via the site imo. Email is by its nature full of fairly private details.

Lastly Private messaging on LET for support issues is in bad taste IMO. I doubt most providers would appreciate their inbox here full of such things. That'd be like someone bringing their car to the local bar and asking a mechanic to look at it while their hanging out with their friends. Just seems impolite to me and strange that you think that would cross my mind as an acceptable option.

Slack is not LET, please actually read the help page I've linked everywhere on the site, and in this thread.

https://mxroute.com/help.html

• @jar said:

@sureiam said:

@jar said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

@sureiam said:

@sanvit said:

Lastly Private messaging on LET for support issues is in bad taste IMO. I doubt most providers would appreciate their inbox here full of such things. That'd be like someone bringing their car to the local bar and asking a mechanic to look at it while their hanging out with their friends. Just seems impolite to me and strange that you think that would cross my mind as an acceptable option.

Slack is not LET have you tried reading the help page?

https://mxroute.com/help.html

I did but didn't follow through to slack because the issue has only occurred once and I didn't have the energy to create a slack account and follow up there.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited July 2019

sureiam said: only occurred once

That's great to hear. While it's not perfect, customers were flooding the ticket system daily about mailchannels filters blocking their emails. This still needs work, but overall delivery and customer sentiment has skyrocketed. I'm glad, because the blood, sweat, tears, and dollars poured into it have all been significant.

• @jar said:

That's great to hear. While it's not perfect, customers were flooding the ticket system daily about mailchannels filters blocking their emails. This still needs work, but overall delivery and customer sentiment has skyrocketed. I'm glad, because the blood, sweat, tears, and dollars poured into it have all been significant.

Ya don't get me wrong overall I'm happy. the price point got me interested enough to try it But the service made me stick around another 2 years. What's going to happen with the whole cpanel lunacy?

Thanked by 1jar
  • Exchange-only license for office365? Mabe not the cheapest but better then most shared/mail hosting.

• 10men10men Member

Zoho email is free, and offers a nice web interface, too.

edited July 2019

@sureiam said:

@jar said:

Ya don't get me wrong overall I'm happy. the price point got me interested enough to try it But the service made me stick around another 2 years. What's going to happen with the whole cpanel lunacy?

Looking at taking the event as momentum to finally grow up into a more normal looking email service. All as one big cluster. Quite a few considerations to make such a transition smoothly so may not see any change for a while.

We're investigating something like this: https://wildduck.email/

Imagine the whole service being a geographically redundant cluster where any server can fail silently with no impact. Proper 2FA with app password, the works.

• YuraYura Member

2fa, redundant, geo clusters... So many buzzwords. @jar,I just need to know if it Auto-Boots™ or not?!

Thanked by 2jar NanoG6
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@Yura said:
    2fa, redundant, geo clusters... So many buzzwords. @jar,I just need to know if it Auto-Boots™ or not?!

PHP Selecter 5.2: :+1:
    Network Fast: :+1:
    Potassium Levels: :+1:
    DebianMOD: :+1:
    DA Migration $0.20: :+1:
    Auto-Boots™: :warning:

• sanvitsanvit Member

@jar said:

@sureiam said:

@jar said:

Looking at taking the event as momentum to finally grow up into a more normal looking email service. All as one big cluster. Quite a few considerations to make such a transition smoothly so may not see any change for a while.

We're investigating something like this: https://wildduck.email/

Imagine the whole service being a geographically redundant cluster where any server can fail silently with no impact. Proper 2FA with app password, the works.

That looks awesome! I might have to thank cPanel after all ;)

@teochristian I'm personally running Mailcow for few days now and it's working great. You might want to try that out with a cheap VPS with 2GB+ (iirc recommendation is 4GB+) RAM with SES or MailChannels

Thanked by 2jar teochristian
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@ashkulz said:

@NanoG6 said:
    @jar can I get the $5/year plan? Currently out of stock

Not sure if you saw the cPanel saga, but that's on purpose while the licensing is sorted out. Worst case scenario, I'm preparing to self-host https://mailinabox.email -- hope that @jar can sort it out before it comes to that :smile:

I end up using their $15 plan, lol. I'm happy so far with the service.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

Signed up a week ago- the 3 y plan is tempting but opted for 1 y plan: thanks for the discussions here.

• Mail gun comes free. Been using it for years. I am a hosting provider myself

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@yokowasis said:
    Mail gun comes free. Been using it for years. I am a hosting provider myself

It's a good option indeed, although the free tier is limited to 10k emails and 100 validations per month. Perhaps it won't suffice if OP has many clients.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@ITLabs said:

@yokowasis said:
    Mail gun comes free. Been using it for years. I am a hosting provider myself

It's a good option indeed, although the free tier is limited to 10k emails and 100 validations per month. Perhaps it won't suffice if OP has many clients.

Isn't Mailgun an email relay service? iirc OP wanted a fully hosted email. I personally don't like their practice of putting multiple users on a single IP (instead of pooling the IPs like SES, PM, MC, etc.), other than that MG could also be an option :)