Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS in Canada away from US/Canada boarder
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS in Canada away from US/Canada boarder

I need a VPS in Canada away from US/Canada boarder. That means, not in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver etc. Either OpenVZ or KVM, unmanaged.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

I'm not Canadian, but isn't most of the population in Canada pretty close to the border relative to the land? Doubt there will be a DC far away except for Edmonton and everything I see there is pretty expensive.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:
    I'm not Canadian, but isn't most of the population in Canada pretty close to the border relative to the land? Doubt there will be a DC far away except for Edmonton and everything I see there is pretty expensive.

You are correct.

Canada's population is mostly very close to the US. Ninety percent of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/5/5/11584064/canada-population-map

• donlidonli Member

@MikeA said:
    I'm not Canadian, but isn't most of the population in Canada pretty close to the border

Yes most Canadians are huddled around the border for warmth.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@emanresu99 said:
    I need a VPS in Canada away from US/Canada boarder.

I wonder why....

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

ITLabs said: I wonder why....

Probably because too many USA citizens immigrating in and endangering the datacenters, Trudeau needs to build wall to protect Canada from the southern border.

Edit: wall will protect Canada from USA nukes

• deankdeank Member, Troll

OP's only option would be Alberta which is a nice place due to oil refinery. (No tax)

But never saw an Alberta based host.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@deank said:
    OP's only option would be Alberta which is a nice place due to oil refinery. (No tax)

But never saw an Alberta based host.

Bad idea. Remember the Texas City Refinery explosion? A nearby DC could easly burst.

• hjlowhjlow Member

this is an odd request. why does it have to be physically away from the border?

OP expects to be raided. So, distance helps to pack things up and relocate hosts.

• defaultdefault Veteran

I want a VPS in the extreme northern part of Canada, if possible... hosted in Winterfell or inside The Wall.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @freerangecloud has servers in Winnipeg

Thanked by 1freerangecloud
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

My curiosity has been piqued, why do you need to be geographically far from the border? Generally, connectivity will be worse and prices much higher (if you can find anything at all).

As @jahrinc mentioned, we offer servers in Winnipeg, which is around 100KM from the US border if that satisfies your requirements?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@freerangecloud said:
    we offer servers in Winnipeg, which is around 100KM from the US border

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@default said:
    I want a VPS in the extreme northern part of Canada, if possible... hosted in Winterfell or inside The Wall.

Try sansaracks.com

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited June 2019

You want to look for Yellowknife.

Also we have a lot of space but only a handful of people. We need to be near the border to prevent illegal immigrants (dirty Americans) from crossing the border. They are usually too lazy to try walking, so we mostly keep an eye on the roads for bad drivers.

We also use sniffer dogs trained to sniff out seasoning salt, deep frier grease and that 'mcdonalds' smell. It requires a lot of collaboration.

• @default said:

the winter north of the wall would do well for cooling but rumours are that there are white walkers beneath causing rumbling of the earth

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

OP probably wants to serve Santa Claus and his Elves. They live in the North Pole, away from US-CA border.

• KermEd said: We also use sniffer dogs trained to sniff out seasoning salt, deep frier grease and that 'mcdonalds' smell. It requires a lot of collaboration.

So you're saying if I eat a bunch of back bacon and spill some poutine on my pants I can walk right across the border without anybody noticing?

• level6level6 Member

Hasn't OP seen Handmaid's Tale? Safe when over the border.

Thanked by 1hjlow
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited June 2019

@skorous said:

KermEd said: We also use sniffer dogs trained to sniff out seasoning salt, deep frier grease and that 'mcdonalds' smell. It requires a lot of collaboration.

So you're saying if I eat a bunch of back bacon and spill some poutine on my pants I can walk right across the border without anybody noticing?

We won't even bat an eye. But you might want to get some timbit frosting around your mouth just in case. If you do get stopped remember to start by saying sorry or you'll stand out worse than a moose in a department store.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • KermEd said: you'll stand out worse than a moose in a department store

Would said moose even stand out in the Great White North?

Floating gossips say that OP was spotted swimming across pacific ocean.