Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fix IPv6 'Routes filtered' issue ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to fix IPv6 'Routes filtered' issue ?

melanmelan Member
edited June 2019 in Help

Few of my IPv6 subnets announced via NetAssist globally not accessible, my other subnets announced via Hurricane Electric working fine

when I checked with one of looking glass, they shows as 'Routes filtered'
https://lg.de-cix.net/search?q=2a09:be40:1147::/48

my route6 objects as below and origin also set to my AS
$ whois -h whois.ripe.net -rB -i mnt-by AMDEXA-MNT | grep route6

:: parent
route6: 2a09:be40:1140::/44

:: working subnets
route6: 2a09:be40:1140::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1141::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1142::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1143::/48

:: not working subnets
route6: 2a09:be40:1144::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1145::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1146::/48
route6: 2a09:be40:1147::/48

I am using Quagga (version 0.99.23.1) on each routers, any idea how to fix this? I am really new to BGP

Thanks!

Comments

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

melan said: when I checked with one of looking glass, they shows as 'Routes filtered'

There is much more Information than "routes filtered" - "IRRDB lookup: AS-SET does not include origin AS".
    This means that your ASN is not part of the Netassist AS-Set so the upstream, DE-CIX here, won't accept it. - They have proper filtering.
    And btw. your prefix is reachable from some networks, from those who don't seem to filter based on IRR.

melan said: I am really new to BGP

Everyone was new to it at some point, but please learn some fundamentals before doing BGP in production.
    Keep reading, keep learning. But most and foremost, build solid filters ;)

Edit:
    Why not announce to both HE and Netassist and use the full potential of BGP?

Thanked by 1melan
  • melanmelan Member

ruben said: There is much more Information than "routes filtered" - "IRRDB lookup: AS-SET does not include origin AS".

This means that your ASN is not part of the Netassist AS-Set so the upstream, DE-CIX here, won't accept it. - They have proper filtering.
    And btw. your prefix is reachable from some networks, from those who don't seem to filter based on IRR

Thanks for the information, I am planing to reach Netassist on this

ruben said: Everyone was new to it at some point, but please learn some fundamentals before doing BGP in production.

Keep reading, keep learning. But most and foremost, build solid filters ;)

Very true, I am still not using it on any production environment :)

Edit:

Why not announce to both HE and Netassist and use the full potential of BGP?
    i'll try that too... I never realized it's possible before..

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

melan said: I am still not using it on any production environment

The Internet is considered a production environment...

melan said: i'll try that too... I never realized it's possible before..

Using multiple upstreams is the whole point of having an ASN, if you just have one your ISP could take care of it for you.
    By using multiple upstreams you ensure that your prefix has better reachability from different networks and you are also more resistant to a problem with one provider (in theory, as NetAssists IPv6 is mostly HE).

Thanked by 2jackb melan
  • melanmelan Member

ruben said: Using multiple upstreams is the whole point of having an ASN, if you just have one your ISP could take care of it for you. By using multiple upstreams you ensure that your prefix has better reachability from different networks and you are also more resistant to a problem with one provider (in theory, as NetAssists IPv6 is mostly HE).

actually I announced different subsets from different location
    4 * /48 - from my home (Colombo, Sri Lanka) via HE
    4 * /48 - from one of my VPS (Dallas, TX) via NetAssists

I have 8 * /48 subsets unallocated, I am planing to use them with multiple upstreams as you suggested, unfortunately none of ISPs here at Sri Lanka willing to provide me a BGP session (they asked me to purchase $1000+ leased line to get IPv4 session and not sure about IPv6 sessions )

Thanks!

• xmsxms Member

did you try Dialog? they provide native IPv6 connectivity on HBB (and mobile) connections.

they asked me to purchase $1000+ leased line to get IPv4 session and not sure about IPv6 session

I think Colocation in one of the ISP's data centers will be the cheapest option.

Thanked by 1melan
  • melanmelan Member

xms said: did you try Dialog? they provide native IPv6 connectivity on HBB (and mobile) connections.

My ISP is dialog (having 2 connections). even they provide native IPv6, prefix is dynamic and they said that they have no plan to support static IPv6 block. then I asked them to active public IPv4 (by default they carrier grade NAT IP range) to have a tunnel broker my IPv6, native IPv6 connective no longer there as their backend not supports for it (as per them)

xms said: I think Colocation in one of the ISP's data centers will be the cheapest option.

unfortunately it's not cheap in my country and not a good option to a pet project

Thanks!