Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a registrar with a decent API. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a registrar with a decent API.

2»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

KuJoe said: I signed up a DO account and it's asking me for billing information

Hmm, ok, I might give it a try. I have billing info with them and an idling 10GB ($1.00/m) chunk of block storage but no active VPS's.

Keep me posted if you're able to use their DNS management without having active services with them.

• I personally use DNSControl to manage my domains, so their provider list was very helpful in deciding a registrar.

@ashkulz said:
    I personally use DNSControl to manage my domains, so their provider list was very helpful in deciding a registrar.

Looks neat, but I'm looking for a registrar and not a DNS service.

• namesilo had new website on https://new.namesilo.com/. I only use their API to display domain and dns

@sibaper said:
    namesilo had new website on https://new.namesilo.com/. I only use their API to display domain and dns

That looks a lot better but their search still needs a lot of work, I couldn't find a single domain to purchase using their search but Internet.bs found almost a dozen domains for me to order.

• marrcomarrco Member

try joker.com (as a reseller). API support is really good there

• I used a bunch of domain registrar APIs in the past to register several thousand domains, my thoughts on them:

NameBright - Poor API, poor support, good pricing
    DirectI - Logicboxes implementation, their API is good enough
    DomainBox - Decent API, bought by GoDaddy, support seemed to have gone downhill
    Enom - Old but effective API. Requires $250 signup IIRC
    Gandi - API a little verbose but comprehensive. You need to sink a lot of money in to get competitive pricing. Good TLD coverage
    GoDaddy - WildWestDomains API was very dated. Their new API seems to be an improvement. Haven't tried it thoroughly
    InternetBS - Decent enough API
    NameCheap - Poor API
    NameSilo - Decent enough API
    NetworkSolutions - Dated API, very slow support
    OpenSRS - Decent enough API

I've found that older registrars tend to scale back their support and let the 'power users' get on with it. Newer ones tend to have more hands on support and want to build their reputation to gain market share.

Specifically about APIs, GoDaddy's may be worth a look. I'd recommend InternetBS, Namesilo, OpenSRS and Gandi for API comprehensiveness - at least from the PoV that I don't want to contact support about anything if I can handle it via the API.

• ntupntup Member

@Foul said:
    @KuJoe

I personally LOVE Namesilo API

https://www.namesilo.com/api_reference.php

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/API-Manager

They do what ya need, Not to mention the affiliate program, get $1 off domains.

Listing current DNS records
    Adding DNS records
    Updating DNS records
    Removing DNS records
    Listing current DS (DNSSEC) records
    Adding DS (DNSSEC) records
    Deleting DS (DNSSEC) records

+1 agree. Namesilo it's good.

edited June 2019

So in order to access the API for Internet.bs I need to pay them $10 in addition to the domain I purchased from them... I think I made the wrong choice.

EDIT: It looks like I need to keep a balance with them to use their API. Still on the hunt for a decent registrar, so far I've yet to find one. :(

@ricardo said:
    Specifically about APIs, GoDaddy's may be worth a look. I'd recommend InternetBS, Namesilo, OpenSRS and Gandi for API comprehensiveness - at least from the PoV that I don't want to contact support about anything if I can handle it via the API.

Thanks for the info! I checked out GoDaddy and they allow adding individual records, but not deleting them (I'd need to overwrite all of the records to remove a single one). NameSilo is looking like my best option for APIs even if their website is awful to use, I'll probably just move the client domains over to them and keeping my personal domains with Namecheap.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@ricardo said:
    NameBright - Poor API, poor support, good pricing
    DirectI - Logicboxes implementation, their API is good enough
    DomainBox - Decent API, bought by GoDaddy, support seemed to have gone downhill
    Enom - Old but effective API. Requires $250 signup IIRC
    Gandi - API a little verbose but comprehensive. You need to sink a lot of money in to get competitive pricing. Good TLD coverage
    GoDaddy - WildWestDomains API was very dated. Their new API seems to be an improvement. Haven't tried it thoroughly
    InternetBS - Decent enough API
    NameCheap - Poor API
    NameSilo - Decent enough API
    NetworkSolutions - Dated API, very slow support
    OpenSRS - Decent enough API

Thanks for the list! We went down this road a few weeks ago trying to find a workable API for a new project. Wish we saw this post earlier! Ended up with NameCheap because it was the only one that did everything we needed, and gave response codes that made sense. You could add OnlineNIC to that list, it sucked, support was clueless about the API. Documentation was a mess, only really covered v1, v2 documentation was minimal.

• I'm using Hexonet/1API's API for domains.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2019

@KuJoe

If I were to pick one, probably Namesilo. I'd suggested various improvements to registrar APIs (mainly to make it easier for me to normalise using all of them) and Namesilo took suggestions on board and implemented the functionality within the week.

The main problem I had with all registrars was my end users creating fake details and getting their domains suspended as per ICANN's rules on contact validation. Seems like a non-issue now since most registrars are obfuscating WHOIS output for gTLDs. For some registrars you'd end up having to contact their level 1 support and start a massive time suck operation, for others you could simply amend the details as the reseller. For any use case, Namesilo seems like a path of little resistance.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • LeviLevi Member

Porkbun. Namesilo got acquired and soon will become just another internet.bs.

The most enterprise focused api's are name.com and opensrs.

Thanks for the recommendations all, I think I'm going to go with Internet.bs because I've already spent money with them so what's another $10 for API access.

• I n t e r n e t d o t b s i s t r a s h

• @SirFoxy said:
    I n t e r n e t d o t b s i s t r a s h

Please stay on topic.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @doghouch said:

@SirFoxy said:
    I n t e r n e t d o t b s i s t r a s h

Please stay on topic.

how is this not on topic lmao I replied to his comment

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@KuJoe said:
    Thanks for the recommendations all, I think I'm going to go with Internet.bs because I've already spent money with them so what's another $10 for API access.

I think you chose well. For one internet.bs seems to be pretty stable over time plus their API is well established (as compared to many). Plus how much money is your time worth? I guess "throwing away" another 10$ is well invested if it saves you not even 30 minutes ...

• As far as i know, resellerclub have some the most interesting API options along with quite a few apps/modules etc.

• vedranvedran Veteran

internet.bs was decent for me, until this: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/84387/internetbs-net-blocked-access-to-my-100-domain-account-out-of-nowhere

Don't know if it was an isolated incident or not but them locking accounts for no reason and not replying to support emails was enough for me to never touch them again

• verjinverjin Member

@LTniger said:

No one acquired namesilo. They are on Canada stock exchange. If you want to be part of NameSilo buy shares!

• LeviLevi Member

@verjin said:

@LTniger said:

No one acquired namesilo. They are on Canada stock exchange. If you want to be part of NameSilo buy shares!

Sure https://domainnamewire.com/2018/03/09/investment-firm-to-acquire-domain-name-registrar-namesilo/

Thanked by 1verjin