Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

git - auto update
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

git - auto update

v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Hi,

I'm running my own Gitea instance where I'm hosting most of my web projects.
I then clone this repo to my main production server, which works without a problem.

However, I always have to run "git pull" on the production server, after I have committed some changes.

Is there a way to keep it automatically updated so I don't have to run the command every time after a change?

Thanks!

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

git pull in a cronjob.
    Make a separate branch for that.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Is there a better way than a cronjob?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Could run a daemon on the server which listens for webhooks and pulls on request.

Thanked by 2sayem314 sgheghele
  • I think it could all be automated with something like jenkins

• YuraYura Member

You need a CI system for that. Drone works well with Gitea, Gitlab has their own built-in. Jenkins is one of the oldest one and it's a mess but some like it.

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited June 2019

gitlab-ci would be a great way.

You just tell it to scp your files to your production server. At least that is what I have done in the past. Currently I just make docker images, as they are more portable.

Deploy:
        image: debian:9
        script:
            - apt-get update -qq && apt install -y -qq sshpass rsync
            - export SSHPASS=$USER_PASS
            - sshpass -e rsync -rvz --delete -e 'ssh -o stricthostkeychecking=no' web/ [email protected]:~/web/ipinfo.app/public_shtml/
        only: 
            - master

You would need a runner for this... I am using gitlab-runner. Not sure what your product has.

• i can also recommend gitlab ci - easy to use, provides a complete git management solution.

and for your use case: you can create configuration gitlab-ci.yml like AlyssaD mentioned that deploys your code after building.

but for security you should execute deploy only if unit tests etc. pass and maybe still better manually, i can guarantee oneday you will deploy a bug because of autodeploy..

so maybe add "when:manual" it means, when pipeline passed with code analysis, unit ttests etc. u click the "deploy" button in gitlab manuall and it auto deploys.

for some languages like php tool like "deployer" can help with deploy workflows like ssh, minify css etc.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

This is possible via Gitea webhooks, you could set up a webhook and call a pull after an update has gone through.

https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/webhooks/