Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small Email Server - No outgoing emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small Email Server - No outgoing emails

ss93ss93 Member

Hey,

So I've been researching and trying to be the most cost effective here as I can. I'm trying to find a way to host a email server but it won't need outgoing emails. I know it's weird but the purpose is to create e-mails using some control panel or whatever. Then have others who have the login info access it using some online client or so. The most they'll receive is probably 1 inbound e-mai and then most likely won't be using it anymore. The point of blocking outgoing e-mails is because they really have no use for it and I could avoid suspentions or possible spam.

Could a small server do this? I've been reading about mailinabox but not sure if it actually requires 1gb ram like most posts say or so.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

If you don't need clamav, I've ben fine with 512MB RAM with vestacp

• BopieBopie Member

would it not be cheaper to get a cheap cpanel account and simply use cpanel API with a custom front end to setup the email accounts and delete them

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ss93ss93 Member

@Bopie said:
    would it not be cheaper to get a cheap cpanel account and simply use cpanel API with a custom front end to setup the email accounts and delete them

Hmm I suppose. By CPanel account you mean actually getting some sort of shared hosting? The problem is I don't know if we're able to block outgoing emails. But I guess I can always ask the host to do so for me

@sanvit said:

Oh that's enough? I'll research it then. Thank you!

• BopieBopie Member

@ss93 Its all down to how much you are willing to spend, I could do this for you no problem and just set your account to not have outbound, i can do this on all our packages and they all come with unlimited email addresses the only limiting factor is system resources i.e cpu ram etc and disk space

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

@ss93 said:
    So I've been researching and trying to be the most cost effective here as I can...

Go with mxroute @jar ($30/y)... I believe it's possible to block outgoing emails.

Thanked by 2kkrajk maverickp
  • SkanderSkander Member
    edited June 2019

@ss93 said:

@Bopie said:

Hmm I suppose. By CPanel account you mean actually getting some sort of shared hosting? The problem is I don't know if we're able to block outgoing emails. But I guess I can always ask the host to do so for me

@sanvit said:

cPanel allows this, you can click "manage" on any mailbox and set restrictions.
    So any cheap shared hosting will work for this, @HostMantis comes to mind. (screenshot is from a hostmantis account)

Thanked by 1HostMantis
  • edited June 2019

@ss93 said:

@sanvit said:

I've been running postfix+dovecot+spamassassin+postgrey+iptables+sshguard in a BuyVM 128MB OpenVZ VPS for about 5 years with plenty of headroom.

• BochiBochi Member

As @ITLabs said: You could simply go with MXroute and disable outgoing messages for all mailboxes. Easiest thing to to, quite cheap (maybe even compared to a VPS) and removes the headache.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • BopieBopie Member

as @Skander said you can do it in any cpanel i was simply offering you my services, call it a shameless plug :P, Literally any shared hosting well work for you :D

• sanvitsanvit Member

If cPanel can do what you want, I'd definitely recommend using a shared hosting since it'll be cheaper and the provider will manage the server for you. I recommend VPShared (aff link), as it was really stable for me (I'm currently using it), and it costs $1.95/y minimum (use coupon 35VPSHARED). You can also contact @Bopie and work someting out since he's a reasonable guy ;)

• BopieBopie Member

I am of course reasonable haha if I'm honest if its just emails depending on how much disk space it really wouldn't cost much at all and I can also block outgoing on the account from server level instead of inside cPanel to save some time of manually doing it.

Thanked by 1sanvit