Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I need User CALs in addition to RDS CALs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do I need User CALs in addition to RDS CALs?

HxxxHxxx Member
edited June 2019 in General

I have this scenario.
-Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition.
-I have a local application installed on it.
-Just want the users to access it via RDP (RDS).

Do I need only RDS user CALs ( could also be RDS Device CALs)
Or do I need a combination of Windows Server User CALs (could also be Device CALs) along with the RDS CALs?

Been searching a lot this topic on Google but there is not much clarity to it.

I've seen places that suggest a combination of user CAL and RDS CAL are needed. But I've also seen other places that suggest just RDS CALs.

This mumbo jumbo shit of Microsoft legals never cease to amaze me. If it were up to me would go all mighty Linux, but the app is only available for Windows (QuickBooks).

I'm pretty sure there must be an Alpha Elite Male with Silver Chest that understand perfectly well this scenario and is part of this community. Please ohhhhh Enlighten me.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What does your reseller say? Did you ask you Microsoft account manager ? That would be my first points of contact if I had said issue at hand.

Thanked by 2FHR Hxxx
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

Yeah, the only correct place to ask these sorts of questions is Microsoft themselves.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • leytonleyton Member

Can't speak for the most up to date licensing, but last time I worked on a RDSH solution (2012R2), you needed both standards Windows CALs (per user) and RDS CALs.

...plus any additional licensing if you go the Citrix XenApp or VMWare Horizon route...

But, of in doubt talk to Microsoft or the licensing team at your VAR.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2019

Don't have a reseller since it's available on the Microsoft Store directly. I'll call them later to see what the CAL investment would look like in terms of numbers. Is a one time scenario in our case.

@Clouvider said:
    What does your reseller say? Did you ask you Microsoft account manager ? That would be my first points of contact if I had said issue at hand.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2019

Agreed. I'm pretty sure many around these places have experienced this scenario.

@FHR said:
    Yeah, the only correct place to ask these sorts of questions is Microsoft themselves.