Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best location for US and EU website visitors? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best location for US and EU website visitors?

2»

Comments

• donli said: New Jersey is cheap and very well connected

Undoubtedly, NJ is cheaper than NYC. There's probably minimal differences between NJ and NYC, but shouldn't NYC have better peering?

The difference is probably so minuscule you can just go for NJ instead of NYC for web hosting, but maybe there are use cases like day trading where it matters.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@smallbibi said:

donli said: New Jersey is cheap and very well connected

Undoubtedly, NJ is cheaper than NYC. There's probably minimal differences between NJ and NYC, but shouldn't NYC have better peering?

https://www.nyiix.net/locations/nyiix-new-york/

Established in 1996 and founded by Telehouse, the NYIIX NY Peering Exchange is one of the largest neutral internet exchange points on the US east coast and in the world. With 47 data centers globally, Telehouse is home to many of the world’s largest peering exchanges.

NYIIX Points of Presence in New York metro area:

85 10th Ave, NYC
    111 8th Ave, NYC DRT
    60 Hudson St, NYC, DRT
    32 Ave of the Americas, Coresite
    7 Teleport Drive, Staten Island
    165 Halsey St, Newark NJ. Building MMR
    2 Emerson Ln, Secaucus, NJ, Coresite

and:

https://www.de-cix.net/en/locations/united-states/new-york/enabled-sites

DE-CIX New York is the fastest-growing Internet Exchange in the New York metro area and has managed to grow to the leading Internet Exchange in this area within three years. DE-CIX New York is Open-IX certified and carrier and data center-neutral. It operates more access points than any other Internet Exchange in North America.

60 Hudson Street, Manhattan, NYC 100G available
    111 8th Avenue, Manhattan, NYC 100G available
    32 Avenue of the Americas, Manhattan, NYC 100G available
    165 Halsey Street, Newark, NJ 100G available
    325 Hudson Street, Manhattan, NYC
    85 10th Avenue, Manhattan, NYC
    2 Emerson Lane, Secaucus, NJ
    1025Connect, Long Island, NY

The difference is probably so minuscule you can just go for NJ instead of NYC for web hosting, but maybe there are use cases like day trading where it matters.

See:
    https://datacenterfrontier.com/how-data-centers-power-wall-street-and-the-financial-sector/

One of the most prominent data centers serving the financial services sector is called Equinix NY4. It’s in Secaucus, N.J., and home to the “matching engines” that support trades for several major exchanges. These matching engines uses algorithms to allocate competing trades among competing bids and offers priced the same. The Equinix NY4 building is large enough to hold five football fields, and is one of cluster of Equinix facilities in Secaucus that have played a role in the rise of digital trading.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • emghemgh Member

I don't feel like reading all of that but Frantech had said that it's new york for real if I recall

• Okay, I'm convinced... Apparently Equinix NY4 hosts 49 exchanges (maybe more today) so NJ could potentially be better for day trading than NYC. I understand your love for NJ now, but I would prefer Secaucus, NJ or NYC over Piscataway. And I would prefer Piscataway to Buffalo. You get the idea...

• donlidonli Member

@emgh said:
    I don't feel like reading all of that but Frantech had said that it's new york for real if I recall

Could be true, the BuyVM website is notorious for lagging reality.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@donli said:

@emgh said:

We are in 25 Broadway. Only cogent for now but we are working on pulling more.

Francisco

• donlidonli Member

@Francisco said:

@donli said:

@emgh said:

A New York landmark...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Building_(New_York_City)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@donli said:

@Francisco said:

@donli said:

@emgh said:

A New York landmark...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Building_(New_York_City)

Yup, right outside.

Francisco