Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


VPS Idlers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Idlers

Ok I have to ask. Why do so many people here tend to buy VPS's and then just let them idle? I've in some cases that people have 10, 15 or even 20+ different VPS's around the world, yet a lot of them idle. 1) why do you need so many and 2) the ones that you do use, what are you doing with them?

Just trying to get a feel for what people do / like to do with them, however in that quantity, its hard to fathom what something like that would be.

Comments

  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited June 2019

    Hoarding disorder.

    Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Here's how it works. First you see an offer that's too good to pass up, because it will be perfect for that project you've been thinking about.

    You then find another offer in a different way location, or different virtualization type, etc. It could even be a better offer than the first.

    Time comes for that project, you realize you need something not quite provided by the others so you find another deal.

    You may cancel a server or two, you know, to save money etc.

    Time goes by and you realize the server you cancelled would be helpful to you right now, so you go to order another and it's out of stock/offer expires.

    So instead of that, we collect them to idle. They occasionally find a use (for me this usually happens around month 11 of a yearly I've been idling for almost a year)

    I tend to keep the insanity deals like $5/year even if I never really do more than idle it.

    I'd rather collect idling resources than collect stamps or something.

  • @tomahawkeer said:
    Ok I have to ask. Why do so many people here tend to buy VPS's and then just let them idle? I've in some cases that people have 10, 15 or even 20+ different VPS's around the world, yet a lot of them idle. 1) why do you need so many and 2) the ones that you do use, what are you doing with them?

    Just trying to get a feel for what people do / like to do with them, however in that quantity, its hard to fathom what something like that would be.

    Ask your buyer to be second investor to resell back and offer it to public, maybe it will be good.

  • @dahartigan said:
    Here's how it works. First you see an offer that's too good to pass up, because it will be perfect for that project you've been thinking about.

    You then find another offer in a different way location, or different virtualization type, etc. It could even be a better offer than the first.

    Time comes for that project, you realize you need something not quite provided by the others so you find another deal.

    You may cancel a server or two, you know, to save money etc.

    Time goes by and you realize the server you cancelled would be helpful to you right now, so you go to order another and it's out of stock/offer expires.

    So instead of that, we collect them to idle. They occasionally find a use (for me this usually happens around month 11 of a yearly I've been idling for almost a year)

    I tend to keep the insanity deals like $5/year even if I never really do more than idle it.

    I'd rather collect idling resources than collect stamps or something.


    For me i never canceled my check out, but if it suspended, it always i don't have money continuing it.

    Idling almost 1 year? it's better you offer back.

  • @d2itsme said:

    @dahartigan said:
    Here's how it works. First you see an offer that's too good to pass up, because it will be perfect for that project you've been thinking about.

    You then find another offer in a different way location, or different virtualization type, etc. It could even be a better offer than the first.

    Time comes for that project, you realize you need something not quite provided by the others so you find another deal.

    You may cancel a server or two, you know, to save money etc.

    Time goes by and you realize the server you cancelled would be helpful to you right now, so you go to order another and it's out of stock/offer expires.

    So instead of that, we collect them to idle. They occasionally find a use (for me this usually happens around month 11 of a yearly I've been idling for almost a year)

    I tend to keep the insanity deals like $5/year even if I never really do more than idle it.

    I'd rather collect idling resources than collect stamps or something.


    For me i never canceled my check out, but if it suspended, it always i don't have money continuing it.

    Idling almost 1 year? it's better you offer back.

    I do often give back idling vps to people who need them, so in that sense it's not really idling.

    Now that alphawoot has collapsed I've got a lot less idling resources.

  • @dahartigan said:

    @d2itsme said:

    @dahartigan said:
    Here's how it works. First you see an offer that's too good to pass up, because it will be perfect for that project you've been thinking about.

    You then find another offer in a different way location, or different virtualization type, etc. It could even be a better offer than the first.

    Time comes for that project, you realize you need something not quite provided by the others so you find another deal.

    You may cancel a server or two, you know, to save money etc.

    Time goes by and you realize the server you cancelled would be helpful to you right now, so you go to order another and it's out of stock/offer expires.

    So instead of that, we collect them to idle. They occasionally find a use (for me this usually happens around month 11 of a yearly I've been idling for almost a year)

    I tend to keep the insanity deals like $5/year even if I never really do more than idle it.

    I'd rather collect idling resources than collect stamps or something.


    For me i never canceled my check out, but if it suspended, it always i don't have money continuing it.

    Idling almost 1 year? it's better you offer back.

    I do often give back idling vps to people who need them, so in that sense it's not really idling.

    Now that alphawoot has collapsed I've got a lot less idling resources.

    why don't offer me :smiley:

  • @d2itsme said:

    @dahartigan said:

    @d2itsme said:

    @dahartigan said:
    Here's how it works. First you see an offer that's too good to pass up, because it will be perfect for that project you've been thinking about.

    You then find another offer in a different way location, or different virtualization type, etc. It could even be a better offer than the first.

    Time comes for that project, you realize you need something not quite provided by the others so you find another deal.

    You may cancel a server or two, you know, to save money etc.

    Time goes by and you realize the server you cancelled would be helpful to you right now, so you go to order another and it's out of stock/offer expires.

    So instead of that, we collect them to idle. They occasionally find a use (for me this usually happens around month 11 of a yearly I've been idling for almost a year)

    I tend to keep the insanity deals like $5/year even if I never really do more than idle it.

    I'd rather collect idling resources than collect stamps or something.


    For me i never canceled my check out, but if it suspended, it always i don't have money continuing it.

    Idling almost 1 year? it's better you offer back.

    I do often give back idling vps to people who need them, so in that sense it's not really idling.

    Now that alphawoot has collapsed I've got a lot less idling resources.

    why don't offer me :smiley:

    Best I could do is hook you up with a NAT with the specs you need in Germany (hetzner) but it wouldn't have an IP of its own. PM me if you like.

    Thanked by 2d2itsme greentea
  • zero24xzero24x Member
    edited June 2019

    i can relate like this:

    when you see a good offer, you are like, wow i need to buy it before its sold out, its such an unique chance that many ppl take it now.

    and its also like weapons, you buy some because maybe one day you need them.

    also sometimes providers say that its a very limited offer,.. this add more fear of missing out.

  • OujiOuji Member

    First I though everyone here was nuts because of that. But I'm currently idling three out of my five VPS. Most of them are paid for the year already, so there's really nothing I can do. At least for two of them I have projects aligned and starting up soon. The last was just misfoturnate that I picked up a few deals before a better deal came up.

  • YuraYura Member

    I'm not Amazon I can't use all of them!

  • You grab a couple of very cheap VPS for an upcoming project, but when you want to use them you realize that the node is oversold to death and that they are too crappy for your project. So you buy another VPS. Then you realize that it's on CC and you don't trust this for production stuff.

    ...

    You end up getting a not-so-low-end-box for your project and wasted a lot of money on idling crap. (Note: some offers are really good but there aren't many of those, and they are really limited, while most offers are falsely limited but really profitable - and you get what you pay for!)

    Thanked by 2vimalware dahartigan
  • sanvitsanvit Member

    I have a couple of idling VPSes throughout multiple providers. Most of them are yearly deals and have great performance/price ratio (talking like 1/8 price or way cheaper than what DO, Linode, etc. is offering) so I don't just want to let go. One is running and onlyoffice document server for my nextcloud (if you haven't, do check out both of them. They are awesome/not quite idling but I use onlyoffice like an hour a day, so it's idling 23/24 of the time).
    Others, I usually use it to test out new self-hosted softwares that I find, and if it's good enough the idler finds a new job. If it don't, it gets reinstalled and idled until I find a new software.

    If you want to find a use for your currently idling VMs, check this out
    https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

  • +1 for awesome-selfhosted

    Thanked by 1sanvit
  • uhuuhu Member

    awesome-selfhosted is the idler's arch-nemesis.

    Thanked by 3uptime vimalware Ouji
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited June 2019

    @uhu said:
    awesome-selfhosted is the idler's arch-nemesis.

    It all starts with awesome-selfhosted, that's where the idea comes from that inspires the purchase of a VPS.

    Time goes along, that VPS becomes an idler and then we find ourselves back at the start - awesome-selfhosted.

    True story.

    Thanked by 4sanvit uptime Ympker Ouji
  • sanvitsanvit Member

    @dahartigan said:

    @uhu said:
    awesome-selfhosted is the idler's arch-nemesis.

    It all starts with awesome-selfhosted, that's where the idea comes from that inspires the purchase of a VPS.

    Time goes along, that VPS becomes an idler and then we find ourselves back at the start - awesome-selfhosted.

    True story.

    Lol, this happens to me a lot

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • dahartigan said: First you see an offer that's too good to pass up

    Hi, my name is FootKaput, and I'm an alcoho VPS collector.

    Seriously though, that's pretty accurate for me. I'm new to the VPS world since about March of this year, and been through several. Started with some junk from LEB and graduated to LET...found a good deal, then a great deal, then a deal I couldn't pass up... I have a couple that are 'set' and functioning, others are wipe-and-reload playgrounds.

    Thanked by 2dahartigan greentea
  • Got 8 now , 7 idling and 1 running with 0.00 load mostly

    Still looking.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • captainwasabicaptainwasabi Member
    edited June 2019

    sanvit said: If you want to find a use for your currently idling VMs, check this out
    https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

    And this leads to: https://github.com/n1trux/awesome-sysadmin

    And then: https://github.com/topics/awesome

    and then you are well and truly f'd for the afternoon.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    I have 3 boxes. 2 are in use. 1 is idle.

    @SmartHost 2GB/10GB KVM ($31.95/year since 2019) runs my website https://yoursunny.com .
    @VirMach 384MB/20GB OpenVZ ($4.00/year since 2017) runs private Nextcloud and Asterisk.
    SecureDragon @KuJoe 64MB/3GB OpenVZ ($4.99/year since 2014) used to be a VPN server but is now idle.

    I usually pay annually to obtain lower price. When renewal date approaches, idle boxes got cancelled. SecureDragon is the only exception for now due to its unique migration feature.

  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2019

    People just want to support the providers.
    Would have been more interesting if most providers had youtube channels, merch and whatnot - the whole ordeal.

    Communism.

  • @sanvit said:
    I have a couple of idling VPSes throughout multiple providers. Most of them are yearly deals and have great performance/price ratio (talking like 1/8 price or way cheaper than what DO, Linode, etc. is offering) so I don't just want to let go. One is running and onlyoffice document server for my nextcloud (if you haven't, do check out both of them. They are awesome/not quite idling but I use onlyoffice like an hour a day, so it's idling 23/24 of the time).
    Others, I usually use it to test out new self-hosted softwares that I find, and if it's good enough the idler finds a new job. If it don't, it gets reinstalled and idled until I find a new software.

    If you want to find a use for your currently idling VMs, check this out
    https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

    If your VPS has a specific purpose and gets daily use, it's not actually an "idler", IMO. No one says a mail server doing 10 emails a day that is idling 23 hours and 58 minutes is an idler even though it technically is just chilling all that time. Sounds like some official rules are needed. It is doing what it's supposed to be doing 24/7.

    Thanked by 1Ouji
  • donlidonli Member

    @TimboJones said:

    If your VPS has a specific purpose and gets daily use, it's not actually an "idler", IMO. No one says a mail server doing 10 emails a day that is idling 23 hours and 58 minutes is an idler even though it technically is just chilling all that time. Sounds like some official rules are needed. It is doing what it's supposed to be doing 24/7.

    We could run a program continually monitoring and logging our idling cpus for proof of idleness but then they wouldn't be "idling" any more, would they ?

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

    @donli said:
    We could run a program continually monitoring and logging our idling cpus for proof of idleness but then they wouldn't be "idling" any more, would they ?

    According to Schrödinger's paradox, if we run a monitor inside the idling node we can't determine if the cpu is idling or not anymore. It's a matter of quantum superposition...

    Thanked by 2uptime Janevski
  • If you were to calculate the percentage of time the cpu spent in idle, accounting for the process that checks that state and the fact it will cause the cpu to work..

  • Anyone can share a template or something to compile a list of all idlers? Or on a serious note, how does one keep track of:
    a. All servers
    b. Expiration/ renewal
    c. specs
    d. costs
    e. domain managers (registrar/ renewals/ cost)
    or anything else in one central location. I am looking for a solution (either self-hosted/ hosted/ free/ paid ) which helps me keep a tab

    Thanks

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    how does one keep track of: a. All servers b. Expiration/ renewal c. specs d. costs e. domain managers (registrar/ renewals/ cost) or anything else in one central location

    I put them in a Gmail tag. Active boxes are stared. Cancelled boxes are unstarred.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @plumberg said:
    Anyone can share a template or something to compile a list of all idlers? Or on a serious note, how does one keep track of:
    a. All servers
    b. Expiration/ renewal
    c. specs
    d. costs
    e. domain managers (registrar/ renewals/ cost)
    or anything else in one central location. I am looking for a solution (either self-hosted/ hosted/ free/ paid ) which helps me keep a tab

    Thanks

    Spreadsheet for all of that...

    ... For the first 10 or so. After that you just sign up and if they are memorable enough to keep then they get a subdomain and labeled accordingly.

    Thanked by 1plumberg
  • sanvitsanvit Member

    @TimboJones said:

    @sanvit said:
    I have a couple of idling VPSes throughout multiple providers. Most of them are yearly deals and have great performance/price ratio (talking like 1/8 price or way cheaper than what DO, Linode, etc. is offering) so I don't just want to let go. One is running and onlyoffice document server for my nextcloud (if you haven't, do check out both of them. They are awesome/not quite idling but I use onlyoffice like an hour a day, so it's idling 23/24 of the time).
    Others, I usually use it to test out new self-hosted softwares that I find, and if it's good enough the idler finds a new job. If it don't, it gets reinstalled and idled until I find a new software.

    If you want to find a use for your currently idling VMs, check this out
    https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

    If your VPS has a specific purpose and gets daily use, it's not actually an "idler", IMO. No one says a mail server doing 10 emails a day that is idling 23 hours and 58 minutes is an idler even though it technically is just chilling all that time. Sounds like some official rules are needed. It is doing what it's supposed to be doing 24/7.

    True, I kinda mixed up when writing it down. I was just providing another way to use the idler :)

Sign In or Register to comment.