Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a job
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a job

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2019 in General

Howdy guys,

Looking for a DevOp / L3 System Administrator / Technical Support position.

Ideal: Webhosting/Cloud/Datacenter companies.

Here's my LinkedIn that resumes my knowledge/experience: https://www.linkedin.com/in/miguelangelopt/

Timezone: GMT +1, willing to do weekends and/or on-call if necessary.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my email address so we can discuss directly.

Thanked by 1fLoo

Comments

• hi,

did you check yet fiverr.com ? they offer "gig jobs", maybe something to fill your time until you have a fulltime job.

Thanked by 2Yura MikePT
  • Impressive CV! :smile:

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • imokimok Member

zero24x said: did you check yet fiverr.com ? they offer "gig jobs"

They are worst than the Low End People.

Thanked by 1willK
  • Only now does it dawn on me that your full name is basically Michelangelo.

Thanked by 3Ympker luissousa MikePT
  • lzy0lzy0 Member

Hello, I want to know the approximate range of your monthly salary, compare it with China.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • His name is Miguel but goes by Mike? Wtf.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Mige.

Thanked by 2switsys MikePT
  • YuraYura Member

@TimboJones said:
    His name is Miguel but goes by Mike? Wtf.

His real name is Cheapo. Mike is a pseudonym.

Thanked by 3Amitz Francisco MikePT
  • donlidonli Member

@TimboJones said:

No smart person uses their real name on the Interwebs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

TimboJones said: His name is Miguel but goes by Mike? Wtf.

Well to be fair Miguel in English is Michael and you know thus mike.

My favorite is Santiago being Jimmy in English haha, I used to know why, I have forgotten now.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

His soul name is ET.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jadenjaden Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    My favorite is Santiago being Jimmy in English haha, I used to know why, I have forgotten now.

https://spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/4588/why-is-santiago-the-equivalent-of-james/4593#4593

Santiago, (also San Iago, San Tiago, Santyago, Sant-Yago, San Thiago) is a Spanish name that derives from the Hebrew name Jacob (Ya'akov) via "Sant Iago," "Sant Yago," "Santo Iago," or "Santo Yago," first used to denote Saint James the Great, the brother of John the Apostle. It was also the tradition that Saint James (Santiago) had travelled to the Iberian Peninsula during his life and was buried there. The name is also complicated in Spanish in that Jaime and Jacobo are modern versions of James.

Thanked by 2vimalware imok
  • Good luck MrGeneral!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Yura said:

@TimboJones said:

I think that it was El Cheapo.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • YuraYura Member
    edited June 2019

@angstrom said:

@Yura said:

@TimboJones said:

I think that it was El Cheapo.

El is an article. Cheapo is his name. I checked the ID.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I seriously doubt the wisdom of making ones CV available only via linkedin. While that is "millenial cool" many people actually hiring do not have linkedin accounts. In fact, I know some who take that situation (CV only via linkedin) to mean incompetence.

I wish @MikePT good luck though.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Impressive CV, though i agree CV only via LinkedIN is not a good idea

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ChuckChuck Member

Impressive CV. I hope bezos would hire you.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @jsg said:
    I seriously doubt the wisdom of making ones CV available only via linkedin. While that is "millenial cool" many people actually hiring do not have linkedin accounts. In fact, I know some who take that situation (CV only via linkedin) to mean incompetence.

I wish @MikePT good luck though.

It's all about who you know. I got all my jobs through people I know. And I've gotten them work, too. Submitting my application and going through interview process has not been fruitful.

A lot of the time, I can recommend someone without having to show any resume, just go by my word "X person does good work. We are successful if WE do good work", so we trust each other to only work with other good people. We're so small, we don't have useless people like found in large companies.

Thanked by 2MikePT kkrajk

@TimboJones said:
    It's all about who you know. I got all my jobs through people I know. And I've gotten them work, too. Submitting my application and going through interview process has not been fruitful.

A lot of the time, I can recommend someone without having to show any resume, just go by my word "X person does good work. We are successful if WE do good work", so we trust each other to only work with other good people. We're so small, we don't have useless people like found in large companies.

Yes, I know the "recommendation based upon experience with someone" quite well as that's how I got many projects too. But, oh well, many nowadays bet on engines likes linkedin, which is OK, it only becomes a problem when it's the only bet.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@jsg why are you assuming he doesn't have a typed-up resume/CV ready to hand out via email or through more traditional employment application methods?

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited June 2019

@MasonR said:
    @jsg why are you assuming he doesn't have a typed-up resume/CV ready to hand out via email or through more traditional employment application methods?

I don't.

I'm based on the fact that he chose to introduce himself primarily via linkedin. And I'm based on the fact that he should make it as easy as possibly for any potential employer to get some basic info (like a CV). I know for a fact that "oh, I need to get a xyz (e.g. linkedin) account to see that guys CV" does make many just skip a candidate. The same is even true for having to ask (e.g. by email) for basic info. Small as that demand may be it's enough for many to just skip a candidate.

Much, much better alternative: a simple web site with all relevant info (incl. a link to linkedin and others, if desired).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@jsg said:

@MasonR said:

I don't.

I'm based on the fact that he chose to introduce himself primarily via linkedin. And I'm based on the fact that he should make it as easy as possibly for any potential employer to get some basic info (like a CV). I know for a fact that "oh, I need to get a xyz (e.g. linkedin) account to see that guys CV" does make many just skip a candidate. The same is even true for having to ask (e.g. by email) for basic info. Small as that demand may be it's enough for many to just skip a candidate.

Much, much better alternative: a simple web site with all relevant info (incl. a link to linkedin and others, if desired).

Fair enough. I feel that in the low end market we find ourselves in, you're more likely to get a foot in the door through word of mouth/referrals as our beloved Timbo said. So if a provider on this site were looking to pick someone up, the barrier of having to PM him to pick up the discussion and get more info isn't that high. But then again, the less work the employer needs to do to get an idea if you'd be a good fit for the company, the better, so I see where you're coming from.

And I 100% agree on needing a small, personal website where you can advertise yourself showing your work history and past projects. An online resume of sorts. Every developer/web designer/it worker should have one in my opinion.

Thanked by 3MikePT jsg MichaelCee

@MasonR said:
    Fair enough. I feel that in the low end market we find ourselves in, you're more likely to get a foot in the door through word of mouth/referrals as our beloved Timbo said. So if a provider on this site were looking to pick someone up, the barrier of having to PM him to pick up the discussion and get more info isn't that high. But then again, the less work the employer needs to do to get an idea if you'd be a good fit for the company, the better, so I see where you're coming from.

And I 100% agree on needing a small, personal website where you can advertise yourself showing your work history and past projects. An online resume of sorts. Every developer/web designer/it worker should have one in my opinion.

Simple rule: if one wants and needs to be seen and considered one should make it as easy as any possible to be seen and considered.

As you picked up on the personal recommendation model again, we should differentiate. For this model to work one should already be "embedded" in the relevant scene. In my case it "organically grew". At the beginning a company related to the one I worked at needed someone like me ("hard core developer with some experience in the security field"). During that work I of course met clients, some of whom contacted me later, usually for some small side work. And so on and so on.

Today my merely mentioning that I'll soon be available (due to some project ending) in certain communities will usually lead to multiple requests, but then that "community" grew over many years and so did my reputation.

For someone however who ran his own company like OP (he ran some kind of mail service company or am I mistaken?) the personal recommendation model hardly works. He simply must reach as many potential employers as any possible and doing that he should be sure to make it as easy as any possible for them. A simple "here's my web site with all info" is much much better than anything that puts up any barrier whatsoever, even a simple one like needing to login (and having an account there).

But again, my intentions are constructive and I wish him luck.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Thank you for your comments guys, you are amazing!

In regards to the CV, I do have an updated CV, though I must admit that it was updated only a few days ago. Most jobs I got were through referrals/people that recommended me.

Lets see how it goes, I am definitely looking for an exciting opportunity where I can help improving whatever is necessary and obviously, learn more. We cant give up on learning and there is plenty of stuff I would love to learn.

I am planning to attend the university this year as well to complement my CV and learn more.

Once again, thank you for your comments! I thought no one had replied to this thread honestly, just seen all the comments! :)

Cheers,
    Mike, Miguel, Cheapo, El Cheapo.

• KermEdKermEd Member

If you get bored and want to join an AR/VR game company, I can help. But we literally have 0 serious servers.

• donlidonli Member

@KermEd said:
    If you get bored and want to join an AR/VR game company, I can help. But we literally have 0 serious servers.

Would you pay him serious money ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@MikePT said:
    Thank you for your comments guys, you are amazing!

In regards to the CV, I do have an updated CV, though I must admit that it was updated only a few days ago. Most jobs I got were through referrals/people that recommended me.

Lets see how it goes, I am definitely looking for an exciting opportunity where I can help improving whatever is necessary and obviously, learn more. We cant give up on learning and there is plenty of stuff I would love to learn.

I am planning to attend the university this year as well to complement my CV and learn more.

Once again, thank you for your comments! I thought no one had replied to this thread honestly, just seen all the comments! :)

Cheers,
    Mike, Miguel, Cheapo, El Cheapo.

University is great for meeting new people, broadening your field of knowledge and acquiring sorts of acknowledged certifications for your skills.

All the best, Mike!

• @TimboJones said:

Mike, Michael, Muguel, Michele, Михаил... It's the same.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael
    Archangel Michael - in Orthodox folklore known as "the soul taker", the one who the souls first meet, after death, the Arch Angel. And then it is decided where the soul shall go.
    A male Christian name.

• KermEdKermEd Member

@donli said:

@KermEd said:

Would you pay him serious money ?

We start at 25/hr for junior roles and up from there. So yes.

Thanked by 2MikePT kkrajk