Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 2 VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 2 VPS

This will be for running an Horizen Secure Node. I currently have a couple with AlphaRacks but service has been down for a bit. Looking to spend $25-$30 per year each.
3GB RAM
Decent CPU/s
50GB SSD
1 Dedicated IPV4

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Increase your budget, that is a bit low on budget for stable service.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited June 2019

good luck with your budget!

Have you checked LowEndBox offers? You might find something there with similar reliability as AlphaRacks (might be down for a bit, in a bit ... forever - so I don't seriously suggest doing that.)

Otherwise probably will have to wait for sales (173 days until Black Friday) - would especially be looking for flash sale deals from VirMach then (unless you need sustained heavy CPU use.)

Personally speaking - just off the top of my head - for current "low-end standard pricing", I'd expect to pay closer to somewhere around $70 to $100 annually for reliable KVM VPS with 3 GB ram / 50 GB ssd / decent CPU - and would consider anything at $60 or below to reflect promotional pricing, not necessarily sustainable for long-term serious service.

That said, I'd be comfortable with reliability of discounted offers from a few providers active in this forum, such as: alphaVPS.bg, Budgetnode, CrownCloud, DrServer, extraVM, First-Root, freerangecloud, Hetzner, HostDoc, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, UltraVPS.eu, Wishosting (and others) - so if you see a sales thread on LET, definitely do take a closer look (and then do some research to see if reliability and service level is likely to be line with your specific expectations - I don't stress on minor details too much, other people might.)

Would also expect to see some special offers from newer providers that might come a bit closer to your target budget (still would be surprised to see anything under $50 annually) - it's not so easy to assess reliability and long-term viability especially with "too good to be true" prices, so you'll have to figure out your own comfort level with that risk (especially if you've learned anything from your experience with alporacks).

If openVZ is an option then that might broaden your horizons quite a bit too. I would take a closer look at TNAHosting (just based on a recent offer thread and the fact that they've been in business for a while - I don't have any personal experience with their service yet).

• i would probably wait for alpacaracks to be back up.

• @cybertech said:
    i would probably wait for alpacaracks to be back up.

Don't hold your breath lol

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @uptime said:

Have you checked LowEndBox offers? You might find something there with similar reliability as AlphaRacks (might be down for a bit, in a bit ... forever - so I don't seriously suggest doing that.)

Otherwise probably will have to wait for sales (173 days until Black Friday) - would especially be looking for flash sale deals from VirMach then (unless you need sustained heavy CPU use.)

Personally speaking - just off the top of my head - for current "low-end standard pricing", I'd expect to pay closer to somewhere around $70 to $100 annually for reliable KVM VPS with 3 GB ram / 50 GB ssd / decent CPU - and would consider anything at $60 or below to reflect promotional pricing, not necessarily sustainable for long-term serious service.

That said, I'd be comfortable with reliability of discounted offers from a few providers active in this forum, such as: alphaVPS.bg, Budgetnode, CrownCloud, DrServer, extraVM, First-Root, freerangecloud, Hetzner, HostDoc, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, UltraVPS.eu, Wishosting (and others) - so if you see a sales thread on LET, definitely do take a closer look (and then do some research to see if reliability and service level is likely to be line with your specific expectations - I don't stress on minor details too much, other people might.)

Would also expect to see some special offers from newer providers that might come a bit closer to your target budget (still would be surprised to see anything under $50 annually) - it's not so easy to assess reliability and long-term viability especially with "too good to be true" prices, so you'll have to figure out your own comfort level with that risk (especially if you've learned anything from your experience with alporacks).

If openVZ is an option then that might broaden your horizons quite a bit too. I would take a closer look at TNAHosting (just based on a recent offer thread and the fact that they've been in business for a while - I don't have any personal experience with their service yet).

openVZ should be fine just not sure what makes it different from KVM

• Not sure how they are still selling more services. OK, so what is a reasonable price for this request. Is it really about $5 each per month?

• @EnriquePhoenix said:
    Not sure how they are still selling more services. OK, so what is a reasonable price for this request. Is it really about $5 each per month?

Yes, $5/month will be a reasonable budget for that. Factor in reliability and not having to continually migrate servers, and you could add a dollar or two more and have a setup that's cheap, and solid and importantly - sustainable.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited June 2019

ultravps comes close at approx USD 73 / yr. 4GB ram and more SSD.

hostdoc has something real good at approx USD 69. flash sale so act fast.
    3 vCores @ 3.4 GHz
    3TB @ 10 gbp
    4GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    50GB NVMe SSD + 150GB HDD

not too many providers offer 3GB ram at good price. virmach did a good sales for about USD 45 but smaller SSD

• @EnriquePhoenix said:

@uptime said:

openVZ should be fine just not sure what makes it different from KVM

Openvz usually has kernel restrictions. I've found it a problem for firewalling as some iptables modules get restricted in Openvz that wouldn't be in KVM.

• cybertech said: i would probably wait for alpacaracks to be back up.

>

We moved several servers from them.. I wouldn't hold your breath they will have to separate from QuadraNET. They posted a statement on May 24th in the client area..

• @ThresherHost said:

cybertech said: i would probably wait for alpacaracks to be back up.

>

We moved several servers from them.. I wouldn't hold your breath they will have to separate from QuadraNET. They posted a statement on May 24th in the client area..

im actually waiting for them to be back up. if they survive this , it is a feat already

• @ThresherHost said:

cybertech said: i would probably wait for alpacaracks to be back up.

>

:astonished: Good luck with your provider tag :wink:

It's winter here in Australia but it feels like summer.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited June 2019

@cybertech said:
    ultravps comes close at approx USD 73 / yr. 4GB ram and more SSD.

hostdoc has something real good at approx USD 69. flash sale so act fast.
    3 vCores @ 3.4 GHz
    3TB @ 10 gbp
    4GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    50GB NVMe SSD + 150GB HDD

not too many providers offer 3GB ram at good price. virmach did a good sales for about USD 45 but smaller SSD

^ some really good suggestions there.

In my opinion would be well worth paying the few dollars per month more for anything from UltraVPS.eu (several locations in EU and USA) and that HostDoc Xeon Gold / NVMe node in Dallas is very nice with the 10 Gbit port on incero network.

Some time ago HostHatch did an "extra ram" promotion for their NVMe with semi-dedicated cpu in Los Angeles that came in at $5 per month for 3 GB ram (and I forget how much disk space, probably less than 50 GB as it is NVMe) - that deal is long gone now - but keep an eye out for similar from @Abdullah for Black Friday / Cyber Monday, possibly maybe sooner if they get the spoons to do another promotion before then.

LetBox (currently in Los Angeles and Dallas, possibly elsewhere in the near future) sometimes has special offers that would probably come in over $60 per year - I'd imagine something comparable to HostDoc and UltraVPS.eu pricing.

Wishosting also sometimes does promotion with extra memory at good prices - keep an eye on their "Deal of the Day" page (nothing on there now). You might do well to inquire with @exception0x876 if they can do a special annual deal for your specs on their Arizona node (currently offering "KVM SSD Limited AZ" with 2 GB ram / 20 GB ssd / decent CPU for about $4 per month).

I think your options definitely get more easily sustainable and quality worth paying for at above $60 per year - at least until Black Friday or similar promotional pricing (not currently available as far as I'm aware).

Thanked by 2dahartigan UltraVPS
  • Don't know where to even begin. First of all thanks for all the replies! I need to spend some time figuring out what is best for my needs and all of you have definitely got me going in the right direction.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

There are some providers with offers within your budget:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=770-BEA-5A9 :smile:

• donlidonli Member

@ServerHunter said:

This time though I think they want to find a host that lasts.

• uptimeuptime Member

@ServerHunter is an excellent resource but you'll need to weed out the turkeys in that list - a good rule of thumb is to see if a prospective provider has had an offer listed on LowEndBox (not this forum) in the last year or so. If they have been listed on LowEndBox, look for warning signs such as brand new host making 3-year offers and so forth - avoid those and your chances for long-term survival should increase accordingly.

(See this comment from @teamacc for some context about LEB).

Of the providers returned by @ServerHunter's suggested query I'd steer clear of most of them but definitely would look at offers from @launchvps (high quality) and possibly also Scaleway (generally okay, may have improved since I last tested but wasn't particularly reliable when I tried them a couple years ago).

• ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

donli said: This time though I think they want to find a host that lasts.

uptime said: Of the providers returned by @ServerHunter's suggested query I'd steer clear of most of them but definitely would look at offers from @launchvps (high quality) and possibly also Scaleway (generally okay, may have improved since I last tested but wasn't particularly reliable when I tried them a couple years ago).

I know it's not the ideal metric, but I've added domain age as a column:
    https://www.serverhunter.com/?search=582-503-BF0

This way you have at least an indication of how long they've been around for. :smile:

• @uptime said:
    @ServerHunter is an excellent resource but you'll need to weed out the turkeys in that list - a good rule of thumb is to see if a prospective provider has had an offer listed on LowEndBox (not this forum) in the last year or so. If they have been listed on LowEndBox, look for warning signs such as brand new host making 3-year offers and so forth - avoid those and your chances for long-term survival should increase accordingly.

(See this comment from @teamacc for some context about LEB).

Of the providers returned by @ServerHunter's suggested query I'd steer clear of most of them but definitely would look at offers from @launchvps (high quality) and possibly also Scaleway (generally okay, may have improved since I last tested but wasn't particularly reliable when I tried them a couple years ago).

For me setting the payment terms to monthly filtered out most of them

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@ServerHunter said:

uptime said: Of the providers returned by @ServerHunter's suggested query I'd steer clear of most of them but definitely would look at offers from @launchvps (high quality) and possibly also Scaleway (generally okay, may have improved since I last tested but wasn't particularly reliable when I tried them a couple years ago).

This way you have at least an indication of how long they've been around for. :smile:

We need a 'not advertised in LEB' filter :P

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@sanvit said:

@ServerHunter said:

We need a 'not advertised in LEB' filter :P

Or simply add "IPv6" to your requirements when searching in the meantime.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Still on the look? I can give you a Cloud Account to deploy your VPS with us:

OPENVZ
    6GB RAM
    4vcores
    100GB SSD
    3 Dedicated IPV4
    5TB@1Gbps
    Voxility DDoS Protection
    Lelystad, Netherlands
    $54.99/year

We own our Hardware :smile:

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

Hello,

we can offer:

2 dedicated CPU cores, 6 GB RAM (DDR4 ECC reg.), 50 GB SSD with 10 GBit/s shared and First Colo ddos protection for 55/y (already including VAT).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited June 2019

Cloud Server Business
    2048MB RAM
    2 CPU cores
    60GB SSD storage
    Unlimited Bandwidth (FUP)
    100Mbit Uplink
    1 IPv4 address
    Free OVH DDoS protection option

Hosted in The Netherlands

Discounted price:
    40%LOW -> €4,80 per month / €57,60 per year

• @ServerHunter said:

EthernetServers looks really good. Will most likely move forward with them unless something does not look good about them.

• uptimeuptime Member

EthernetServers

I haven't heard much about them, seems worth a shot if the price is right and good enough is good enough. But all things considered maybe a bit of a gamble in my opinion. Might be a good idea to try monthly before buying a longer term if you're counting on decent cpu etc for your intended use.

Some discussions on LET a few years ago seem more or less par for the course, with a bit of the usual bad noise but nothing conclusive or particularly compelling either way - perhaps @doghouch and @FlamesRunner might offer some feedback from their experience since then ...

• I'm no longer a customer of EthernetServers, but:

My experience was exactly as you said -- good but nothing extravagant. I did always like the support and responses usually came out quickly.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Hi if you can bring your Budget to £40 a year i can offer you what you require

Thank you

• @donli said:

@ServerHunter said:

This time though I think they want to find a host that lasts.

Thanks for the link. Ended getting a server from that site.