Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you prefer for your game server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you prefer for your game server?

TomHexonTomHexon Member
edited June 2019 in Help

Hello everyone,
I ask for your help, because I wonder about the infrastructure that I could put in place for our future customers.
My IT Manager and I do not have the same opinion.
We are based in France, we want to host servers Gmod, Minecraft and Rust and two solutions are available to us, to offer our customers:
-Infrastructure 1: Intel® Core ™ i7-6700 + 64GB RAM + 2 x 512GB SSD NVME @ Germany
-infrastructure 2: Intel® Xeon ™ Xeon E3-1245 v5 + 64GB RAM + 3 x 512GB SSD SATA @ France
I personally think that the fact that we are marketing an offer with the mention "powered by Core i7" will be more sales, and attract more customers (marketing side btw).
He, on the contrary, thinks that the Xeon is technically more suitable.
What do you think?

Which infrastructure do you prefer?
  1. Which infrastructure do you prefer?35 votes
    1. Intel® Core ™ i7-6700 + 64GB RAM + 2 x 512GB SSD NVME @ Germany
      82.86%
    2. Intel® Xeon ™ Xeon E3-1245 v5 + 64GB RAM + 3 x 512GB SSD SATA @ France
      17.14%

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Definitely advertising and using i7 would be beneficial. The average kid renting a Minecraft server knows what a i7 CPU is but has no clue what Xeon E3's are.

Plus you get higher burst speeds and better single thread performance with i7's. And ECC isn't necessary for this usage anyways.

• @MasonR said:
    Definitely advertising and using i7 would be beneficial. The average kid renting a Minecraft server knows what a i7 CPU is but has no clue what Xeon E3's are.

Plus you get higher burst speeds and better single thread performance with i7's. And ECC isn't necessary for this usage anyways.

That's exactly what I think. Thanks for your help! Do not you mind that the server is not in your own country, but in a neighboring country?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

People that know what they're doing won't care about the small difference in distance. Regular consumers however do. So so unless you have multiple locations in Europe, it might be an idea to just sell it as servers hosted in Europe, instead of the country.

• @CConner said:
    People that know what they're doing won't care about the small difference in distance. Regular consumers however do. So so unless you have multiple locations in Europe, it might be an idea to just sell it as servers hosted in Europe, instead of the country.

Yes! Thanks for this marketing tip, excellent idea! :)
    I forgot to specify, but we will market offers at very low prices.

• If you want to be as honest as possible, it would be best to match up the Xeon with the closest i7 or i9 you could find from Intel's ARK.

• bob1bob1 Member

In my limited experience, non-technical people compare cpus by their clock speed and not by i7 vs e3.

Also every gaming server software like Minecraft that I know of is mostly single threaded so higher single threaded performance is better.

• Imo it doesn't really matter.

People who don't know much about server hosting won't care much about specific CPU specs. BeastNode and MCProHosting is a great example of this for Minecraft.

People who do care will dig deeper and like @bob1 mentions, will probably compare clock for clock and nothing about arch.

• HostryHostry Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

The Xeon variant and the i7 variant of the same-generation CPU architectures are trivially exactly equivalent, CPU performance wise. The difference is that the i7 has a few features disabled (eg ECC) due to nickel and diming market segmentation by Intel.

For your example, comparing the E3-1245 with the i7-6770K, the i7 will be faster due to being clocked higher and it being a later-gen CPU architecture.

The poll speaks for itself.

• pikepike Veteran

For cheap Hardware I would use one of the Hetzner beasts with a php-friends VPS in front to handle the DDoS, you are going to receive for sure if you host gameservers. And I wouldnt advertise the location as Europe, at least state the country.